Impressed with the amount of open RP, but

Its the kind of RP I see that is offputting. My realm only has organized RP, its very rare to see people RPing out in the open. So when I made an alt to scout out Stormwind here I was blown away at the sheer number of people out RPing their characters.

But then I read the TRP profiles.

It seems a lot of people use their TRP as a sort of Tinder, jam packed with all sorts of information that shouldn’t really be advertised to the world, in my opinion :blush:.

This isn’t meant as an insult to anyone who partakes in such activities, you do you. I just wish there was a way to engage in such widescale RP without having to read about everyone’s… measurements and other TMI stuff, ya know?

TRP is too important of an addon to switch off, but is that the only way for me to avoid all this X-rated content?

Again, not trying to offend anybody, I just prefer to keep my own experience sexuality free.

4 Likes

Whatever point you were trying to make got spiked into the turf the minute you included that emoji.

My suggestion would be, if you see it, avoid that person and move on. You are the best curator for content that you want to see! If it’s something that breaks ToS, report it and continue onward.

I very rarely see explicit profiles on A-side but everyone’s mileage does vary.

7 Likes

I’m not making any kind of argument, I’m having a discussion so I can use whatever emojis I feel like, :house::pizza:.

:thinking:

2 Likes

In my personal experience most profiles I’ve seen containing explicit content have been marked as such, making them unviewable until approved by the viewer. I don’t know on who’s end this function operates, however; that is I don’t know if the owner of the profile has to set that up themselves or if it’s a setting you yourself switch on.

Of course there is the aforementioned avoid and move on method as well.

Personally I rarely see much particularly explicit content in the ones I see; at best a link to nsfw art, which in such cases are usually marked as such. I’m not trying to challenge your claims however, just offering my perspective for comparison.

2 Likes

Isn’t TRP3 supposed to have a feature where it auto-flags a profile as explicit if it detects certain words, then makes viewing that profile opt-in?

I have no idea how well that works - I turned that feature off a long time ago - but I know that it’s supposed to be there, right?

It also has a straight up “report” button that does actually get to Blizzard.

1 Like

Just checked. Not only is it still a feature, it’s way more robust than I remember. You can manually set the strength of the filter and manually add individual words to it. The only real downside is that it’s opt-in instead of opt-out.

So, uhh, I’d recommend utilizing that, I guess.

3 Likes

Huh. I guess its been a while since I tinkered with TRP’s settings. Thanks for looking into that for me! :grin:

1 Like

Listen. The war’s over, man.

8 Likes

As already mentioned, TRP indeed has a “bad word” dictionary in the settings where you can customize it fully and add your own words. That way TRP will warn you when opening a profile that mentions something you have blocked. It is extremely useful for this reason, as I have come across quite a few of such things in profiles over the years myself. xD

3 Likes

Feels bad man

1 Like

I haven’t seen this too often on WRA? Then again, admittedly I don’t do much but skim most profiles as some are so long I’m likely going to only get the basic info in the first paragraph and move on. Still, there’s only been a handful that made me go “NOPE”. Certainly not so often I’m worried the whole realm is nothing but a big orgy or anything. It’s easy enough to either avoid that type of RP, and almost all the walk-up stuff in Org is just the usual tavern meet and greet casual, definitely not anything X-rated.

I like to idle around the tavern in Org while I wait for queues. Most of the people RPing around there are pretty forward in their intentions. But taking into account time of day and the small location, it’s probably just the same people.

Try another test at a different time. You might see
different results.

1 Like

My character’s microbenis is integral to his backstory.

5 Likes

I only read the tooltips which are usually bereft of things I don’t need to know.

1 Like

This is why I prefer to “RP to find out”.

Or like Topsail said, just look at the First Glances tooltip and their basic stats page. The rest of the profile is very rarely anything critical to roleplay. Just fluff for people interested in reading it.

Even outside of the explicit stuff, profiles can often consist of personal screeds, offensive trolling, extremely long winded backstories, and other stuff people just don’t really want or need to read. They’re always kind of a crapshoot. It’s like hitting “I’m Feeling Lucky” on Google.

I genuinely don’t know if it’s just that I idle where these folks aren’t but I’ve not seen a whiff of questionable RSPs/TRPs in WrA since coming back a couple months ago? I don’t run filters or anything but I’ll often idle above the Valley of Honor/the Stormwind Park and read descriptions when passing the time in queues or waiting for my M+ group to log on.

Like a year ago there were definitely some outliers, but those descriptions never made up the majority of folks noodling around for RP.

Good to know there are tools to filter/shadowban things I wouldn’t want to look at, but again, if I see something I don’t want to engage with I simply don’t.

1 Like

Then don’t RP with those people.
I come from ED and its dead, its deader then dead these days, I am glad people there enjoy it and have events here and there but you can have “organized RP” on any RP server.

It’s not what you think it is though.