iMac Pro PvP Instances In-Combat FPS Drops

This sounds crazy, but when I’m in combat in PvP zones like Alterac Valley (new and old), Silvershard Mines, Eye of the Storm, etc. my framerate drops all the way down to 3fps. When I get out of combat, it goes all the way back up to the normal 60fps. I’m running at the native 5K resolution at ~7 in graphics quality. I don’t experience this anywhere else. Just PvP instances, only when in combat. It makes PvP pretty much impossible. What is causing this?

3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W
64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

Have you tried a lower graphics setting? Your iMac Pro is probably throttling, or just straight up unable to actually push those pixels.

That makes no sense. It’s able to handle 60fps capped in all other circumstances. Why should a PvP instance make a difference?

Much higher cpu usage in pvp setting.

But I’d lean that it’s more likely an addon problem first, one that’s related to combat/pvp that’s throwing lots of errors and slowdown.

2 Likes

Strongly agree, this is likely the issue. In 40v40 battlegrounds, addons like DPS meters, enemy player trackers, etc turn the game into a slideshow even when they’re operating normally and the CPU/GPU are nowhere near throttling temperatures. If addons are throwing errors on top of that it could easily drag framerate down to unplayable levels.

That’s what I thought, but I don’t know of any way to debug it in game. Is there anything I should be looking for?

The most thorough way to do it is to disable all addons, see if that fixes the problem, and if it does turn addons back on one by one to find the performance degraders.

Discovered the error was occurring in TukUI, but only when TradeSkillMaster was running. So odd. Filing a report with TukUI now.