I'm seeing history repeat itself, with TBC nay-sayers

Remember when Classic was first announced, and there were tons and tons of people doomsaying a laundry list of reasons why Classic is a bad idea and will “fail” ?

haha classic sucks you’re just nostalgic about it
it will be dead in a few months
you’re not a kid anymore, you don’t have time to play it
you’re just trying to relive your childhood
the raids are so easy, bosses only have 1 mechanic lolol
everyone will quit when they remember how bad the game is
people only liked it because it was new
there’s no mystery to the game anymore, everything is figured out
you really want to drop all of the improvements retail has made over the years?
lol why are you paying for a game already released 15 years ago
blizzard is going to screw it up, just you watch
it’s not better, just slower
people only played private servers because it’s free, nobody will pay $15 for classic
no content after naxx, you can’t keep playing forever lol

I’m seeing this exact same type of sentiment now being applied to the inevitable Classic TBC servers. People doomsaying and proclaiming that TBC is a bad idea and everyone will hate it and quit after X weeks/months.

omg every server will be 90% horde!
belfs OP!
everyone will be leatherworking or you won’t be invited to raids!
class imbalance!
nerfed content!
wpvp dead!
flying mounts!
everyone is going to hate it so it’s a bad idea for blizz to do it!!!

It’s just baffling to see people repeating the same “nooo don’t do it everyone’s going to hate it and it’s going to fail” schtick, after how successful Classic has been.

Even more baffling that people are rattling off TBC’s flaws as if they are completely gamebreaking and ruin the entire game, when IMO vanilla has way more flaws than TBC does. Yet it’s still enjoyable and fun to play. Just as TBC will be fun and enjoyable despite its flaws.

10 Likes

Tbc had insane sub growth for a reason, people just wanna stay in denial so they can raid log naxx forever

5 Likes

TBC is going to feel like classic does now and not be anything like anyone that played it remembered. Unless they do actual version patching, which I bet is unlikely. It will be just as sweaty as classic in the way guild will class stack. You’ll be forced to be the best raid spec for your class still by the community.

I’m not saying people won’t enjoy it but its basically going to be rose tinted glasses that will be shattered again.

5 Likes

Arenas will be a lot of fun.

However, has TBC even been announced?

1 Like

No. Everyone’s guessing it will be, but Blizzard hasn’t said anything recently.

Ok thanks, yeah I’m surprised folks keep talking about it.

I think they’d rather shadowlands be a success first, then worry about TBC. If shadowlands is popular among the classic crowd then TBC may never happen.

Pretty sure that’s not the logic blizz will use to determine the viability of TBC

That’s funny, because I’m seeing the same retail “need moar content!” “levelling is boring” “the game starts at endgame” being used to justify TBC.

I don’t think TBC will fail or is inherently a bad idea. I just don’t want it to endanger Classic Vanilla which this was, after all, all about in the first place.

1 Like

You don’t think that had anything to do with the established hype of the most popular game in living memory launching an expansion? The expansion could have been WOD and there would have been a massive influx of subs.

4 Likes

Nope, because if the expansion was trash then the hype would have been followed by a crash, which is exactly what we saw with wod. People don’t stick around for bad content. People sub for good content. TBC earned its subs on its own merit.

7 Likes

Releasing TBC on a static 2.4.3 would be so bad. Way worse than 1.12 Classic. That patch completely changed the structure of the game.

I’m not against BC, as long as it doesn’t override Classic. As in, the Classic Servers we have now, progresses into BC, and Classic is no more. I might have a problem with that.

“haha it was just sub growth from the expac launch”
Uh, no sweetie, TBC had continued sub growth all throughout its life cycle.

Compared to Cata and beyond, where there’s a spike of subs right at the beginning and then nothing but losses afterward.

Shadowlands isn’t popular among Classic players, though. We’re playing Classic to AVOID playing the dumpster fire that retail has become.

People want TBC, not retail capped at level 60.

7 Likes

Only those who refuse to make their own guilds/raids will be forced into anything.

Nope but it’s highly likely. There have been some leaks suggesting may launch with mar/apr beta. The leaks were right about shadowlands so I’m trusting them till they’re wrong.

I’m gonna try Shadowlands but based on the last 3 expansions I don’t have much hope for it.

1 Like

I’m not. First xpac I’ll miss. I’ve been online for every xpac since tbc launch and I’m not doing it again with shadowlands.

Wow Rozen, I wouldn’t miss Shadowlands. I saw BFA as a stinker a mile away, and I was right. But Shadowlands is looking exciting! I also buy every expanasion on release and play it to dungeon end game at least. I have a feeling you’re going to regret missing out on this one.

Nice try, Blizzard employee.

Everything I’ve seen so far of Shadowlands is just more of the same things that made me quit in Legion: Crappy class balance, pathetically easy world content, endless grinding, RNG slot machine loot, 4 raid difficulties, etc. etc.

9 Likes

This is an interesting argument that has never really bothered me.

I don’t mind respeccing for raiding/pvping/farming, I actually kind of enjoy it.

I like that no one spec excels at everything and being able to choose which one I’m in the mood for at the time