I'm having to kill the launcher to avoid hangs

I’m having to kill the launcher to stop the game from hanging up for 5-20 seconds at a time … almost always in dungeons

does the launcher do a bunch of stuff in the background or something? (EDIT: I mean while I am playing)

I would post in tech support where u can get more help.

3 Likes

To answer this, it can. It can be downloading patches for any Blizzard game (that you have installed), including Retail and Classic.

But Darthwraith is spot on:

3 Likes

there is in option in the settings to close the launcher after the game starts.

4 Likes

Hey, Hieronymus! This generally shouldn’t cause the game to freeze, but I am curious if hardware acceleration might be causing the issue. Could you try unchecking Hardware Acceleration under Settings (in the Blizzard application, click on the Blizzard logo at the top-left corner) > General? It should be near the bottom of the General tab.

If it continues, could you provide a DxDiag file to check for the application hangs? It may give us some clues to what’s happening between the WoW client and application. Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:

~~~
DxDiag Here
~~~

If you have issues pasting here, use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)

thank you, it does seem to be graphically related as little clues and signs sometimes show up, like visual graphical memory artifacts. I’m going to try that and also keep an eye on things.

oddly, it seems to happen in junkyard most consistently, guessing it’s trying to load some resource that’s not or less present in other dungeons

I wish there was an option to have lightweight blizzard launcher without video ads/embedded streams and all this fun stuff.

1 Like

That’s brilliant. Malware frequently hides nested in ads and streams. Maybe a little more user agency with updates too. Automatic is nice, but if it breaks or messes with something … it’s no good.

I have to shut down my work laptop at the end of the day otherwise the corporate “spyware” on it goes to town with all manner of unknown tasks running the fan up and down all night. I’m not saying Bliz is that sort but could be better maybe.

1 Like