If you're not Playing Classic on Launch Day, Why?

No desire to sit and stare at the Queue Boss. So will wait ti later.

Classic just doesn’t offer anything I need in my gaming life. I’m content with my memories of vanilla. It was a wonderful experience, but it can’t be recreated. There would be no mystery. Everything is known. I’m happy to continue moving forward with retail.

1 Like

Because while I’m interested in seeing the world pre-Cataclysm (I’m a Cata baby), I’m not really interested in fighting for mobs or quest objectives on over-crowded servers. And I recognize that the Classic game was a substantial timesink, one that I don’t feel strongly about engaging while I’m still having fun in retail.

The current level of “retail is dead” trolling is also putting me off interacting with the vaunted “community” people are expecting in Classic.

I’ll probably give the game a go in 4-6 months, when the initial hype has died down, or if there’s a lull in retail that I can’t fill (I still need to finish pre-MoP Loremaster, and I have Horde alts being sadly neglected right now).

6 Likes

I remember seeing queues upwards of 300+

Thankfully the last time I saw a queue was uh … a few months ago. And I was “really? a queue time?”

It lasted all of three minutes I think. But it did shock me. Because I hadn’t seen one in AGES.

Pretty sure that particular queue was caused by some kind of authentication server outage from what I remember reading. Could be wrong.

I probably wont play because I work next Tuesday but if I can talk the wife into taking care of getting things ready for when I get home I may play a bit.

I have been participating in the beta to Vanilla, i was there from the very beginning. I agree with you here completely. I don’t really have the need to play a 15 year old game right now. Been there, seen it … played it … no thank you.

One of the major factors for this decision is simply put … that they Recreate Vanilla’s Experience … they not Reimagine it.

What i mean by that, is that they add Mechanics in, that … while they were in Vanilla like that didn’t make sense in Vanilla already. Prime example is the DoT limit on Bosses. It was only there because of limitations of the engine, this was one of the first things they fixed with Burning Crusade.

This is pretty much like adding a known flaw … just to have that flaw there. A little bit how those scammers try to make an Art Object … look super old.

Like i said, if they would Reimagine it … fixing things along the way … like finally balancing Classes and make them all viable to play in PvE and PvP … while preserving the base Vanilla Gameplay then i would be on board.
That way they could as example fix stuff that they can’t now, because … whohooo … it wasn’t like that in Vanilla.

So yeah, i will definitely not playing any Classic on Launch. And later i might go take a look, probably just do all Quests once for Memory Sakes … and then that’s it.

I work Mon-Weds, as in I sleep there. But then I get 4 days off so, its a wash.

“Balancing” every class and spec to within 10% of each other is what landed us in the mess we are in to begin with…

1 Like

I can understand your viewpoint. However, I can also see they’re in a screwed no matter what they do.

If they stay 100% true to what the game was like, the purists are happy, but players like yourself may be unhappy.

If they make changes like that, players like you might be happy, but the purists will say “but its not vanilla! its not the same!” and thus they’re not happy.

No matter WHAT they do, someone playing Classic will not be happy.

Been there, done that… still playing my Vanilla Main. Got my Esteemed title.

I’ll be playing Classic daily, albeit more casually… exploring the Horde side of things.

Also, do i really want to be stuck in queues / dealing with lag / fight for mobs all night long? Mm… not really. It’ll be there the next day once things’ve settled down.

2 Likes

That may be a valid reason for someone to play, even if they don’t intend to do it seriously. IE they never saw the other factions viewpoint from way back when. But that’s a potential discussion for another day. IE “reasons you should give Classic a try.”

I hope all those classic folks have a great time but for me, I like to play an MMO without the MM part. I really dont like challenge and I prefer my loot to come with as little effort as possible. But I want top level gear because I don’t want people to know I’m terrible. Even though I typically transmog everything into something from two expansion ago that i got while collecting pets.

1 Like

This is probably the biggest one for me. A huge part of Classic for me were the mysteries. The lore has advanced over the years, to the point where there are no surprises anymore.

A few examples for me would be; Tanaris, Ulduman, and Un’Goro, and all their reveals about these mysterious beings known as “The Makers”. More info on the Lich King and his plans. The mysteries surrounding the whereabouts of a ton of the RTS’ heroes, etc etc.

Blizzard back then had no real need to “up the ante” so drastically with each patch. It was a slow burn. But now that all of these answers have been provided, I just don’t see the appeal, and without the lore, Classic is just a sub-par retread. (In my opinion of course.)

I’m switching to Classic but I won’t be playing launch day because at the time it goes live I will be on my way to work (I work nights).

Graveyard can suck at times. Worked for Uhaul and did graveyard. It sucked. Pay was good of course, but graveyard can suck in so many ways. Especially on your days off.

Morrigu, as to your comment about mystery, perhaps consider seeing things from the other faction. May find some new viewpoints. I’ve been playing a Hordie Pally in BfA. And I have to admit I like our dear Princess. She seems to genuinely care about her people.

Well, that’s what i’ll be doing, and since the discussion’s already 92 posts long, i think the discussion’s not going to be derailed anytime soon.

You’re a nerd. LOL.

Because I’ll likely be playing BfA then instead.

3 Likes

Even so, a dedicated thread to that could be interesting.

This is more about launch day matters. Since of course launch day is coming. And its good and healthy to see people’s reasons why they may be shying away from launch day.

Of course I do hope its a smooth and uneventful launch. We don’t need for memes to develop about Classic’s launch like we had for Diablo 3.

Yup. It’s that “You think you do, but you don’t” syndrome.

As for me, I’ll play some Classic, because I have friends who will be playing. I’ll be there to socialize with them, but there is no need to do that at launch. I don’t need to be there for login queues, horrible crowds, and quests that take hours to complete because you’re literally standing around waiting for a monster to spawn in the hopes that you can be the one to tag it this time. I’ll bet chat is going to be insufferable at first, too.

1 Like