If you love "soandso" in WoW then you'll love FFXIV

For people that have played FFXIV at length and prefer it to wow, what makes you love it?

Like, in wow were you a Mythic Raider and then played FFXIV and liked their raids better? The leveling experience? The MOG’s? Mounts? Overall gameplay.

I’m asking because I am considering moving on from Wow and I so want to get into another game as I have the time. I have played a lot of the other games, most of them, and nothing really stuck. I have never watched a single video or anything on FFXIV, just sorta always treated it as a “HECK NO” substitute (not even sure why) -

What do you like in Wow, and how did that translate to FFXIV?

2 Likes

Mute and move on.

2 Likes

:thinking:

4 Likes

Well, the “main” forum, anyway. Any other games go to https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/off-topic/games-gaming-hardware/51

3 Likes

I prefer FFXIV to WoW because the atmosphere is SO MUCH BETTER in everyway.

1. I absolutely love wow too but the community here is beyond toxic, other week a guy was cursing me and everyone else out because my annulet ring gem kept pulling a pack supposedly using the F word many times on me like a sailor. When it clearly wasn’t my fault and I didnt know the gem could do that. Dude was angry at the world, I swear. And then the constant vote kicks for the stupidest reasons, not only to me but the dumbest vote kicks on others too like someone I saw get kicked in tw for “wet noodle dps” when everything was fine, by another dps kicking her. Everyone but me pressed yes, it was sad. People here hate each other and barely get along, but on FFXIV, people actually get along and are nice and love to socialize and do stuff. Its not “forced” either like some would claim - simply put, the toxic ones get reported and dealt with

2. The MSQ was a once in a lifetime experience and it was legendary. WoW has never had such an epic story and its sad, their lore has dropped off post-wrath. I cant care about wow lore because its so dull and boring, everything gets retconned every expansion, etc.

3. Old content is always doable scaled - never outgearable, that includes raid. Youcan experience older raids as hard as they used to be. wow devs stopped caring about that and refuse to implement a tw style system for older content except 1 raid every year. Sucks.

4. Their flying system is so much better. The original base game allows flying after lvl 50, but every expansion afterwards, you get flying by collecting wind orbs around the zone and doing side quests+main quests, 1 hour tops. Then you can fly in said zone, day 1 of release expansion. They do not wage war against player base like wow devs do over normal flying after WoD debacle.

5. Crafting system is 200% better then wow’s, and everything is always viable.

6. Community events all the time hosted by FCs(guilds basically). Last year there was a huge summer bash party and hundreds of people showed up. Everyone talked in chat, danced, showed off mount collection, etc. Every time I moved a ton of people would load in, and others load out. It was on a beach too. They also had a twitch DJ for a few hours playing music.

just a few reasons why its better.

But the best part of it all, is probably Yoshi-P, the game director. He puts Ion to shame. Not only does he protect the game from P2W elements, like wow token, but he also constantly advises people to actively take a break and come back when you ready. he doesn’t make the game a hamster wheel grind to keep you on everyday, he cares about his players RL health too.

If your always saying “HECK NO” to FFXIV - question why. Is it because it has anime-style graphics? Because you play wow and wow has cartoon graphics. Characters cant even make smiles or sad faces without looking beyond silly, but they mastered this in FFXIV. Is it because people here hate it? Its natural for fans of one game to hate another whos competing against their favorite games.

3 Likes

I dont care about ff i never vive with their stories or aestethics, i am more of a doom kind of guy.

I only play wow because i loved wc3 story and now the lore is joke and i hate de setting of the DF expac

1 Like

I have, at a few points, wanted to start playing FF14 instead of this. Every time I’ve been beaten over the head with a thousand hours of mandatory story before I can even group with friends, and then I’m back to wow where at least once an expansion I can tunnel the story for a couple days and then never need to do it again.

There’s a lot to like, I enjoyed the 8bit final fantasy in it’s day and the SNES ones in their day. Lot of nostalgia there. Just no, I don’t want the story. But without the story you unlock nothing. It’s the main sticking point and the fact that WoW is even slightly less annoying in that regard makes it win me back every time.

4 Likes

You had me at better flying system.

I tried it a couple of years ago and became bored pretty quickly.

4 Likes

I suffered through this for a while, it was awful. then I discovered i could pay to skip the MSQ and I have never thrown money at a screen as fast as I did to get out of that awful gameplay.

2 Likes

No way, for some reason I never realized you could buy your way past the story. I’d have done that for sure if I had it to do over! Might even do it in the future, it seems like it could be a good game I’ve just never been in a position to begin to truly appreciate a job even. Like, leveled a black mage but they get all different spells in the last 10 levels so what I did to 35ish wasn’t even relevant to how the class played endgame.

Also got a summoner into the 30s, that’s when I really started getting bent out of shape that key spells weren’t available even exceeding their level requirements, if you didn’t also do the story. Ick.

Will likely try again though because though I’ve played this game forever it can’t hold my attention 100% of the time. Sometimes it’s good to take breaks, even if in the end I’m just happy to be back.

yea there are definately some positives to it. I very much enjoyed that one character could be every job, that was pretty great. and their travel system is superior to wow’s for sure.

but yea. my friends who played didn’t tell me that I could pay to skip the MSQ because they wanted me to “Experience the story” /eyeroll

they clearly don’t know me that well haha

but yea it’s an item in their online store, If I recall correctly you pay to skip expansions at a time? I could be mistaken.

1 Like

FF14 is okay, but everything about WoW feels more fluid to me.

1 Like

I prefer wow.
It has a functional map.

You mean till Dragonflight? They had to make a expansion showing flying on the box as the game vision form Warlords to Shadowlands that the game is better on riding mounts trying to get over the mazes that they made for months and get flying after some awful grind later.

FFXIV let you unlock flying as you do the MSQ on day one by finding currents also cough the same in DF with those tokens you need to find to buff the drake flying.

Debatable. Dragon riding is amazing, but people who have hand problems or get motion sickness cannot use it. So they have to depend on others, or ground ride until devs say “ok were adding normal flight”. There’s literally no reason to hold off normal flying other then devs being salty about the wod debacle, removing flight for the train system, then they abandoned train system because of it+pathfinder.

1 Like

FF is cool but the movement of the characters is terrible.

3 Likes

Dude, the players at ff are all masked. I played for a little and joined someone’s guild. Multiple people were “nice” till you get to hear about some rando in a dungeon or raid who didnt pregame with a youtube video about the encounter. They got easily pissed at randos, but were all help and sunshine to their group.

No community is any better than the other.

3 Likes

I did enjoy playing FFXIV for a little while but I got burnt out of it before I reached the level cap of endwalker. I will say that the leveling experience is terrible if you aren’t invested in the story. There are just way too many go to a location and watch a cutscene quests to possibly count. It’s just too boring for me.

The combat is slower pace but I find it does a much better job at making classes feel unique. That is probably due to each class being limited to one role so they can really focus on one class identity. You can swap between classes just as simply as swapping spec’s in WoW however the class you swap too has an individual level. This makes it not as accessible to swap roles like in WoW.

In WoW if you play a hybrid class you can easily swap your spec and continue leveling. In FFXIV it feels like you made a new character but the story remains where you left off. Which pretty much means if you are later into the story and swap your class you won’t be able to continue the story until you reach the appropriate level.

Overall I would say it is worth trying out if you are looking for a break from WoW. You may enjoy it more but if you prefer the faster pace of WoW you will probably not like FFXIV.

I play both.

Not sure who this topic is meant to be for.