If undead join the Alliance, how will Alliance players respond?

In the event that undead join the Alliance, how will Alliance players (and their characters) respond?

I see a lot of shade thrown at the Forsaken even by Horde players (and characters). But it’s really bad from Alliance players, especially Humans, Night Elves, and Nature and Light based characters. I’m curious how much animosity is from the Sylvanas / Forsaken lore, and how much is from the state of undeath itself. Would YOU be accept undead into the Alliance? Whether it be forsaken deserters, lightforged undead, or assistance from Bolvar Fordragon is up to you, feel free to answer under any condition, but do specify if you can. (The most likely seems lightforged deserters under Calia Menethil.)

For me, I’m down for The Redeemed, lightforged undead under Calia. I don’t think I could trust them if they weren’t lightforged. But there is Alonsus Faol, so…

1 Like

I’m not overly keen on them taking up an Allied Race spot, and the lore on Calia is… well, I don’t have anything to say that hasn’t already been aggressively tweeted at Christie Golden… but to be quite honest, I wouldn’t hate them if they came along. I’ve had some good fun RPing the inclusion of Ren’dorei, and I’d have some good fun RPing the inclusion of the Accepted.

I wouldn’t go that far. Had the Desolate Council lived, I’d have trusted them.

5 Likes

Sell them deodorant.

1. I make money.
  2. They no longer smell like the Scourge.
  3. As they no longer smell like the Scourge, there’s no reason to purge them in Holy Fire.
  4. ???
  5. Profit.
2 Likes

I’d probably quit.

7 Likes

The fact that undead can be lightforged and with the blessing of the naaru f’s up everything we thought we knew about the undead and how their existence is immoral.

There’s no respect for the dignity of death in the Warcraft universe anymore.

It used to be simple: all undead eventually need to be put back in the grave. Necromancy was unequivocally an evil thing to do and undead organized in any way are basically the Scourge with extra steps.

I guess now we’d just deal with it since we’re all potentially immortal now with zero repercussions through lightforging.

12 Likes

Not just what we knew but also told point blank how the rules of the Warcraft universe work.

Which Blizzard then broke. Hence:

No respect for the rules Blizzard themselves made means I have no respect for Blizzard. Lightforged Undead would be my breaking point.

1 Like

But didn’t they already do this several times over with Forsaken priests and undead Paladins (like Sir Zeliek and Inquisitor Whitemane)? Have you quit?

1 Like

Blizz doesn’t like how we knew the Scarlet Crusade was right all along

Canonically it hurts to use it but they still can ig

Forsaken Priests were shadow spec in lore but had access to the other specs for game play purposes (that was the explanation given, more or less) and Zeliek was a special case, not the norm.

1 Like

I mean, this makes sense when the undead are shambling heaps of flesh. But when they have personhood, the closest analogues in our own history to the religion of Light (without getting into debate) wouldn’t have agreed with that. One cannot simply murder persons for being “abominations” or “monsters.”

Plus, it’s not a matter of respecting death, but “life” (in the ancient sense of a thing with animus, and further in later philosohical systems: a rational soul and esseity). By all means, necromancy is taboo, but that doesn’t require every soul brought back be utterly destroyed.

Depends which angle they take. If it’s Calia recruiting a bunch of Faol-like undead who were never part of the Forsaken, well, it’d suck but wouldn’t surprise me. If it’s Calia siphoning her recruits from the Forsaken’s ranks, drawing a line in the sand between [evil undead] and [not-evil undead] that’s awful. Filtering the few “good” elements of the Forsaken over the Alliance is not a good thing for the race.

13 Likes

Souls get imprisoned with necromancy and even if they get free will, many of them have altered personalities. Some don’t even fully remember their past lives.

Regardless, maybe killing off some undead individuals isn’t right but it is moral to keep them from organizing. Any extant undead must be singular exceptions. An organized undead is a threat.

You can’t raise any person unless they’re dead first. There’s not much between you and the scourge even if you offer them “free will.” When you’re raised as an undead, you’re kinda trapped. Even Sylvanas in her early days had you go hunt down rogue undead that denied her.

Meh, if Death Knights (who are far worse, personality-wise) can be in the Alliance and not make the hardliners quit, I don’t see why “Lightforged Undead” would be the tipping point.

7 Likes

We were validated in Legion that the Death Knights can’t be trusted and have since been exorcised from the Alliance.

Varian was an idiot.

1 Like

Your headcanon is funny and all, but there’s no evidence that this has happened. DKs are still Alliance.

2 Likes

Well yes, but there are exceptions. And I think it’s quite clear that we’re supposed to be rather uncomfortable with this development in Calia anyway; it will be a plot point in the near future, I’m sure: The Light has struck a bargain with the enemy of all

Well, this was retconned. Originally, channeling light just destroyed them. Any contact with it. The “it hurts a lot” thing was a change that happened either with the launch of WoW or with Cataclysm.

1 Like

I’m going to piss people off. I’d be totally fine with some variant of Alliance Undead (provided the split is centered on an ideological one, between those that wish to still prioritize their identities as Citizens of Lordearon first, and those that identify more with the Forsaken ideology). That being said, I’d be prefer Faol be that faction’s leader; if such an Allied Race faction needs to exist.

Plus, I’ve grown sick of the Forsaken victim complex narrative. Having a race essentially be immune to accountability (unless they act out against Sylvanas), because they can (and will) blame anything and everyone else for their own decisions and actions has grown beyond frustrating. Its long overdue time the Forsaken figure out what they are beyond the Alliance’s supposed “Betrayal”, just like its about time the Horde figures out what it is without the fear of the Alliance forcing them together.

10 Likes

Hardly. I saw the DK questline in Legion. They have one true king and it isn’t Anduin.

How can I make fun of you for being a Human Paladin if you don’t act like it!?!

Anyway, serious note, I just despise the idea of “Light Zombies” in general. I loathe the idea of defanging a curse and removing every downside that comes with being undead.

I didn’t like it when it happened to the Worgen curse, and I don’t like it happening to the Curse of Undead.

Plus, I don’t want the Forsaken’s namesake to be even more invalidated than it already is.

10 Likes

Tbh this is my main problem. Now that Lightforged undead are a thing, all other undead are “curable” and the macabre charm of the undead is removed. Like the worgen curse (all the benefits without any drawbacks except some nasty smells), it just ruins it all.

Idk what the point of it was. I really want to know what they are gonna do with Calia.

Maybe I’m wrong and Sylvanas DOES get tossed into the bin and Calia reclaims her throne and all the undead get the chance to be Lightforged a la new customization options like the Elves and thus the “Forsaken Question” is solved.

I guess that’d be…fine. Might even switch Horde just to serve ol Lordaeron again.