If they were converted

If all the remaining high elves on alliance were converted to void elves, would this actually work in lore because aside from it stopping people from requesting playable high elves, would converting all high elves on alliance to void elves work in lore?

It could be done, yeah I dont see why not. But its probably not a good idea, having so many void lunatics running around.

2 Likes

There’s no evidence that more Void Elves can be made, let alone deliberately converted from High Elves or Blood Elves. It’s what makes the decision to have them be an allied race, as opposed to High Elves in general, so odd in general.

The Void Elves had an incredibly specific combination of events happen to them to make them what they are, beyond just using a lot of Void magic. Look at Alleria, who basically ate a Void Ascendant, yet doesn’t share any features with the Void Elves at all, beyond the basic elven traits.

The Ren’dorei are the result of a small population banishing an even smaller group, one numbered in dozens, not hundreds. Said group was then forcibly transformed by the Void, but were saved just in time to avoid going completely over to the tentacle side. The method used on them was one we haven’t really seen before or since, by a specific foe that we killed. There are at most a hundred Void Elves, based on all that, because all the Void Elves there are, are the ones we see in the unlock scenario.

Blizzard just really, really, really did not want to give people High Elves.

9 Likes

Not sure what you mean by “work in lore.” Some people believe that the Quel’dorei and Sin’dorei scholars studying with the Ren’dorei are an indication that more can be made, some people believe that the only Void Elves in existence are the ones from Umbric’s initial expedition to Telogrus. Personally, I’m among the former. It stands to reason that the process can be replicated, but I don’t have any explicit confirmation to that fact.

So yeah, if they can convert more elves to Ren’dorei, there’s nothing that could say that every Quel’dorei could convert. The feasibility and likelihood of that, however, is a different beast entirely.

1 Like

No, it would not stem the demand from a certain vocal minority for their Arian Blonde Blue-Eyed Elves.

1 Like

I suppose we will find out the fate of High Elves when Shadowlands comes out. If the Blood Elf customization includes blue eyes…

Maybe Void Elves will get a non-void out of combat form like the Worgen and Gilneas forms.

2 Likes

Having all of them become Void Elves feels unrealistic. Maybe half?

Some of them already took the high road for feeding magic addiction. They refused to suck magic out of living creatures. It makes sense that they would take the high road again by refusing to become Void Elves.

1 Like

And yet they parade them around Alliance cities and territories as NPCs to this day.

Is it just some sort of sick joke at this point? Like, does the Horde have any equivalent to this?

1 Like

I guess it was goblins but then they were thankfully added in Cata. None of the other non-playable Horde races appear nearly as much (but I’d love if they did).

It’s also crazy Wildhammer took this long to finally get added given how common they are. I hope more of these become playable in the future.

3 Likes

We’d need to find out if Velves can be created or if they’re all just the initial group before anything more can be done with them.

1 Like

I doubt that would work for one simple reason: hardly anyone would volunteer and unless they’re going to start forcing it on other high elves I don’t see all of them, or even a majority, choosing it.

I would find it pretty funny if the /cheer command for your High Elf is fixed at “For The Horde!”

Ogres, or Mok’thanal. But mostly ogres.

1 Like

It would solve a lot of problems, but it wouldn’t make much sense lorewise why the High Elves would WANT to become Void Elves.

2 Likes

They’ve actually decreased in visibility since Wrath. Many of the Silver Covenant High Elves in Dalaran that were guards were replaced by Worgen. The mages that maintained the Garrison and other Portals in Warlords were Night Elves.

Agreed, to an extent, but in BfA they’re quite common. Literally wandering around Stormwind, for one. In addition to this, the 7th Legion is filled with them, in the Arathi Warfront, for instance, the shield mages at the start are all High Elves. While they’ve certainly been fading in visibility compared to that heyday in Wrath, the way they’re around now gives no sense that they’re less numerous or less viable as an allied race than Void Elves.

If they need a magic race that isn’t night elves/Highborne because of the current stuff, they could easily replace those High Elves in Boralus and Arathi with some Draenei instead.

Of course, if you have a tinfoil hat like I do, Void Elves make more sense, because the Allied Races are just early products of the customization overhaul they’ve been working on for quite some time, in the Void Elves’ case they just started as new Blood Elf options that had new bells and whistles added to them when Blizzard realized they didn’t have a pre-order hook for BfA.

3 Likes

I mean, it would at least combine the rather shallow character roster of both groups. They both also do have a ton of overlap in terms of their basic concepts; with them both being Quel’thalas exiles. If you gave them a two-forms, like the Worgen have, where they have to be in void states in combat … I’ve heard of worse ideas. The real question is … what would the narrative impetus be? You would need a reason to compel the remaining High Elves to convert in such a manner.

And … tbh … the only possible scenario I can think if is if Sylvie finally fulfilled her intentions with Vareesa that she’s had for ages.

There’s also no evidence that more Void Elves can’t be made.

The only way that it seems even remotely reasonable for High Elves to willingly turn to the Void, is if there are as yet unseen benefits to doing so (i.e. perhaps the Void, similarly to the Light, more thoroughly satiates the pangs of their magical addiction).

But even then, why not just join the Church of the Holy Light? This way they avoid most/all of the physiological deformities associated with becoming a Void Elf.

Just get Lightforged. All of the delicious cosmic energy, none of the voices in your head telling you to do evil things.