If I don't do rated I'm only able to get max 200 gear

Just wondering if I’ve missed something as I’m unable to upgrade anymore. I either have to raid or do mythics to obtain better gear because I don’t do rated ?

Honestly just a question.

5 Likes

Yes, you now have gear that is about equivalent to normal raid but still better than pve gear in pvp.

3 Likes

Thanks Coho :slight_smile:

1 Like

Came on here with the same question. When I was playing Legion I could gear up just fine by merely playing the game(obviously slower than everyone else, but I wasn’t severely capped), but now I’m forced to find a group and get on comms etc.? Are they planning on keeping it this way?

I played the last 6 months of Legion so maybe the first year of Legion was the same as SL and I just didn’t know about it.

7 Likes

They decided to lock gear behind rating so unless you PVE or climb you will be left behind eventually. Who knows if this will change or whatever but it’s how it is now.

If you don’t enjoy rated I would suggest trying some M+, make sure you do the world bosses and the like.

Try to what you can to stay competitive :slight_smile:

Why should you get BiS PvP gear without, yknow, doing the end-game PvP content? Do you get Mythic gear from LFR?

13 Likes

Well why did they allow it in Legion then? And yes you did get “mythic” gear in lfr back then. I can’t remember the name but you’d go to antorus/krokun once a week and kill some weekly demon. I think there was a weekly for the unmaker too and you could gather items in world quests/chests that were used to slowly upgrade your gear.

Point being, it was slow. People who grouped and did rated like you could gear in no time but others had to depend on rng/weeklies/invasions but it was still possible over time. Tell me why that was wrong without your “lul epic meme” tone you’re displaying here.

3 Likes

I don’t understand what about my post upset you, but

Since patch 3.2, and the introduction of catchup gear (In that particular patch you could use instance-farmed currency to purchase the previous tier set), the prestige of gearing has slipped away. This was, of course before the days of transmog, so naturally if you wanted cool-looking gear it was a pain to gear up, and I respect that aspect of it.

But, if I spend the first few months of the season grinding out gear, why should I then be put on the same playing field as someone that has done no rated PvP? Similarly, if I spend the tier getting to mythic and gearing, should someone that has not put in that effort be able to have the same gear as me?

This was the reason for LFR being introduced. You could gear, marginally, and initially it was comparable to heroic dungeon gear, perhaps a bit better, but it allowed casual and semi-casual players to get (some) of the appearances they wanted, and experience the content.

Likewise, with the introduction of RBGs, you can consider Randoms to be the LFR of RBGs. You get -some- gear, and if you do enough randoms/weekly chests/etc, you can even get the 200 gear, but you can’t get the best gear available.

Later in the season, undoubtedly, there will be greater conq catchup systems, and generally, later in the season, you can get to 1400, or even 1600 with virtually any class comp in 2s.

The best PvP gear should be reserved for those that put in the effort, similarly the best raid gear should be reserved for those that put in the effort.

There’s always welfare gear systems that’ll allow you to enjoy the content more, but you should feel the power/benefit of your effort against someone that didn’t commit.

PvP is also the only game-mode that does not require high(er) levels of dedication to get far, you can play semi-casually, a few hours a week, with a friend/2s partner and get decently far.

3 Likes

Why should they not? Arena/Rated players get vault rewards at a higher iLv, as well as buying gear from the vendor and can level it up, so they have an advantage, even if they let us filthy casuals level gear up as well. Would allow for a more even playing field, which is fun.

11 Likes

Why do you need high-rated PvP gear if you’re not doing high-rated PvP?

If you’re not 2400 rated, you’re not going to be running against 2400 rateds, getting 197/200 gear makes it pretty level for the point you’ll be at, and you upgrade as you go along, just like they did.

I’m not a fan of the vault either, I’m very opposed to welfare gear as a concept, even if it’s just one piece a week.

Arena/ Rated players go into unranked all the time and clean house. They usually don’t come alone, and it usually is a $hitshow. I’m guessing it’s as boring for them as much as fighting them with no chance to win.

7 Likes

Yeah, unrated is garbage. Always has been, always will be. They need to bring back a PvP stat to keep PvE people from flooding queues and mindlessly wandering, since the majority of random BGs come down to tactics instead of teamfights because they want gear. And prevent the inevitable s2/s3 where PvE gear is BiS for PvP, and PvP isn’t fun anymore.

4 Likes

And I’m saying this as someone that’s done 12+ hours of unrated PvP today. As Horde. I’ve considered throwing my computer out the window several times today, including every ToK and WG pop.

I hear ya. I did around 20 Bgs today and can tell right from the start if its going to be a tough one or not. Lucky I’m a stealthy so i can pick my fights. I tried an alt at iLV 170 and i die faster then i can trink and pop d cds.

It’s hell on earth as an undergeared DK. No survival, no mobility, and no hard defensives. But, as is tradition, you suffer through the drag of gearing honor gear, and get into an RBG team or an arena comp.

2 Likes

I see a lot of people saying this, but I’ve never felt the need or felt forced to do PvE to be competative in BGs. Then again, I’m not saying I didn’t do a mythic world tour a couple times to get some gear while I upgraded my pvp gear. Now, if you don’t do pve content, that’s on you, but your not forced to.

I’ll be honest, I was a little scared to do rated pvp. I’ve never been one to do so. Not until this expac anyway. I’ve dabbled in arenas on my hunter back in Cata, but quit shortly after. When I decided to level my priest and actually play rated, I had no idea it was the meta. I just wanted to do something different. I’ll probably still play disc even if it goes to poop. Just won’t do rated pvp anymore I suppose. Heh

While this was a valuable and informative opinion; I should mention I was objectively answering and giving some perspective to the original posts about if you need to do rated or not. Hopefully they will use your post as motivational content though :slight_smile:

Simply put, because any decent, competitive, competition determined PVP player who does rated shouldn’t need a massive gear advantage to out perform most “unrated” folks in unrated content.

I suspect you simply feel that if you do rated, it’s an “entitlement” to enter world PVP or randoms and roll over folks on gear alone. Some folks made it quite a engaging experience to defeat higher rated and geared folks in other forms of content then “locked in a box” type stuff :slight_smile:

You must be joking if you think a team of guys with 35-38k health enter a BG and will lose to a team of 25-28k guys in a random BG. That won’t happen and quite often after the first few engagements people either leave or simply stop fighting. That’s what massive gear imbalance will do.

Most of those that care about the casual don’t want it to be “free best gear” they just want it to remain so gear isn’t the only deal.

7 Likes

Good question … but high rated PvP players end up in random BG’s where most of the PvP crowd is .

I think they shd reduce the gap between rated and unrated gear . It’s about 26 ilevel now. Ideally it shd be half that .

10 Likes

good old day the mediocre PVP gear is 359 and the better 378

1 Like