If Blizz wants more Chosen One stories

I just figured I’d make a feedback thing. I remember Legion being easier to tolerate when it came to our players doing cool things. But in BfA it’s far too much.

I mean think about Legion. A Warlock player might be a Netherlord but there was also at least one of every class champion doing some of the work.

In Battle for Azeroth you’re pretty much doing EVERYTHING alone. It gives less focus on the world and far too much on just ONE character in the WORLD of Warcraft.

You can’t even say “Oh well maybe one Horde champion and one Alliance Champion are in the story” because Azeroth canonically only makes ONE Heart of Azeroth.

I feel that if Blizz wants to do something like this again with Shadowlands, it might be easier to tolerate if say canon wise it’s one champion per Covenant. That way you’re not shouldering all the burdens.

I have found every time I’ve come across one of these posts that people overwhelmingly like to be patronized.

“I’ve worked hard for years for this, pal. I’ve slain Arthas and Deathwing and not all just to go back to being some unknown grunt gathering wood.”

Next expansion comes along:
NPC: HELLO, ALL HAIL THE CHAMPION OVERLORD!!! Now please go pick us 10 fruits TO SAVE THE EARTH

See I’m a bit of both which is why I liked Legion

I felt the opposite.

You were routinely meeting up with other characters in the open world war campaign.

And they mostly tell you to go do something

So basically. Right on par with Legion?

We had our quests sure but just the fact that they clearly show there’s other people with their own quests and legendaries kinda softens that blow a little

Did they actually show that outside of the cutscene at the very end where you are losing your artifact to the sword?

I dont ever remember experiencing that through the storyline. It was just “Hey, I know you are the world shaman, and leader of us all. But I need you to go do X”

The start of the broken shore with kil’jaeden sending in a fleet to dalaran. And later certain dailies on the broken shore that are related to a class group and their solution to a problem

It’s all moot because there are thousands of players on any given High/Full Pop realm on one faction alone at any given time. Even “oh there’s 1 of each class doing things” isn’t a good enough explanation for that.

WoW, as with most MMOs, has opted to take the route of pretending other characters don’t exist, instead making effectively a poor man’s single player story.

1 Like

Part of the reason Legion’s story worked better, and the “chosen one” aspects of it, was that it was in Blizz’s comfort zone.

I.e. PHENOMENAL COSMIC BULLSHIZ

Blizz is at their best when the story is grandiose, maximalist, and insane.

It makes being the “chosen one” more tolerable because its in the background of the absolute madness going on around it.

Yeah, I’d much rather be just another murder hobo again than Lord High Savior of Everything that still has to do all the menial murder hobo grunt work anyway.

I guess it didn’t leave a noticeable impression as I have no clue off hand what you are referencing. Not saying it didnt happen. Only that it didn’t leave a worthwhile mark in my memory.

In Legion I just felt like I was picked to be the savior of the world, and if I failed, the Burning legion would win.

It felt the same to me as BFA did.

They have npcs standing in from the class halls to represent the other class champions

I mean. Sure.

But we have NPCs standing around in BFA that represent other stuff going on we aren’t personally doing.

But there’s not really room for that since there’s only one HoA wearer canonically.

I didn’t say they represent things the other PCs are doing.

I am just saying there are plenty of cues in game that other stuff is going on outside of what we personally do.

While my character has a hand in major actions, I am teaming up with other major lore characters regularly. I see aspects of a war going on outside of my personal involvement.

We aren’t even the leaders of our class hall, canonically either.

I only did the hunter story in Legion and a little bit of the Shaman and I never really got that impression. It felt to me more like the entire order was the one taking on the burden. We had to do the job because everyone else was to busy squabbling to get it done.

I wasn’t a ‘chosen one’ I was just in a leadership position in a larger organization that was working toward an ultimate goal.

I actually think that, for all its…prodigious faults…WoD did this pretty well.

We’re just a General for our faction, made that by virtue of being one of the few survivors of our initial assault.

Yes we are. Almost all the class halls make a big deal about “hey you’re in charge”