They are currently nearly dead so here are some ideas to fix them.
- Remove/Break AH mods like TSM, this represents far too much automation.
- Increase recipe complexity across the board.
- Remove scrapping or any type of materials loot outside of having the profession. There are far too many sources for materials now. This should have never made it out of Legion.
- Remove ranks on recipes or at least remove the material reduction part.
- Make crafting gear relevant to end game. Ie more constant updates. Ie when Heroic whatever is being cleared by everyone, make the base Ilevel for gear higher equivalent to the normal raid -5 ilevels or something.
- Remove profession only gear, make the recipe hard to acquire, have high material costs and limit it to one piece per craft.
- When a new tier of the profession comes out, ie flask -> greater, require ALL the mats from the lower tier + new ones for the upper tier. This is specifically to make old mats still just as valuable in the new tier as the old. This would really help keep prices up across the board.
- A node has two hits at most in it. Supply needs to be way more limited.
- Sockets on everything, gems much weaker, seriously JC get so screwed.
- Add rare, and I mean rare, procs to consumables, ie 200 strength flask or a blue 225 strength flask. This would not apply to enchants or anything permanent.
- Unify any outstanding specializations in crafting. I think engineering still has the lunacy of goblin vs gnome.
Also go back and add all recipes, that came from quests, to the trainers for any previous expansions or make sure the quests are always repeatable or the scroll is BOE. I know engineering still has a few outstanding once only quests for stuff and I suspect other professions still have them as well.