Ian and crew really gutted the fun out of affliction. :(

Over the years affliction has changed a lot.

The current iteration is about as unimaginative and uninspired as any I’ve ever seen.

In past years we had interesting abilities like soul swap which required some planning to get the most out of, heck, even drain soul, as OP as it was, still required you to think a little bit and try to line things up to use it.

What do we have now? Dark glare to line up once approx every 3 minutes? And the rest of the time you just tab target through stuff mash buttons as fast as possible to keep things dotted?

Come on guys, a billion dollar company can do better then that.

• P
14 Likes

They dont care about classes any longer, just watch the MDI compositions, really fun to see the same classes all the time doing the same pulls…

3 Likes

Blizz knows, they just don’t care.

When you see 5-6 M+ invites that say “ROGUE ONLY!” it’s obvious that there is a problem. There really is no reason to take any other DPS other than rogue.

5 Likes

Yep, it’s pretty garbage for dungeons. But some specs have always been that way. Don’t base your impression of a class on just one aspect of the game, especially if it’s secondhand through publicity. It has changed from what it once was, and it will change again.

Vote with your wallet. If the spec you enjoy is garbage, un-sub and come back if/when they fix it.

4 Likes

Its bad at pvp as well as dungeons. He plays a lock. In what way was this post reflective of one aspect of the game or second hand?

I can’t stand what BfA did to Affliction. I leveled up my Void Elf Warlock as Affliction in Legion and spent the latter part of the expansion with it as my main. I was fully prepared to go into BfA with it as my new main (displacing my mage) but I simply cannot bring myself to play the spec in its current iteration.

It’s annoying that a rot/DoT spec has been morphed into some weird ST burst spec. Tying all your DPS to a 3 min cooldown makes it boring, to boot. The talent tree is unimaginative and there’s absolutely zero room for creativity or different builds because of the strength of Deathbolt/Darkglare. Because all your damage is tied between those cooldowns it makes everything in between just feel like a boring slog, too.

7 Likes

I’m comparing to things affliction had in the past like soul swap which were interesting and required some thought.

The modern pruned down version of afflic is just dead bland. :frowning:

• P
2 Likes

I feel like warlock specs are all the same, it’s so meh damage until we peak with our cds and then we go back to the bottom of dps. Hell right now it feels like you have to take some talents to play a warlock looking at you grim of supremacy for destro.

2 Likes

Warlock specs in general lost their individual essence when it come to talents. It’s like all talents are shared while other classes have different talent choices for their specs.

Warlock feels so repetitive now, especially with this constant rehaul sh**.

2 Likes

This has been my experience with warlocks as well. Everything they do is focused on cooldowns. People take demo just because it has the shortest cooldown.

1 Like

the only highlight of this expansion imo is the current state of demonology, its actually fun to play this expansion as opposed to legion where you would cast DE every other cast and have to life tap constantly and it felt absolutely awful to play.

if we could go back to any of the following class designs though id be happy

affliction-WotLK/Legion/MoP/BC

destruction-MoP hands down this was my favorite itteration of destruction

demonology-MoP/Bfa/WotLK

or for short lets bring back Xelnath era class design of MoP and have a real toolkit again.

4 Likes

I would like to see destro overhauled and have it mix old demo with destro. Destro is about the empowering ourself with powerful fel magic. I’m tired of the whole look a fire mage but an evil fire mage thing.

There is ZERO logic and reason for having casters like warlocks be turrets. They got into a lot of trouble with trying to distinguish classes from one another in BFA. This design strategy has always been terrible because it severely limits you on encounter design and P2P design.

Basically if every class has to be distinguishable from one another then you need to deal with severely limited encounter designs and you have to face the reality that some specs will simply be a much better fit for some encounters than others. This creates a significant problem with regards to what classes we choose to play and how it impacts our view of the game in general.

All casters are turrets because you can’t cast while moving with a few exceptions for certain spells. Aff lock is probably the most mobile caster in terms of not suffering from down time.

I hate that shadow bolt is back and I hate all of our damage being based around DG, but mobility for at least one of our specs is alright.

The dungeon team doesn’t talk to the class team that much is obvious. There is much less focus on class diversity in BFA than there was in Legion, its that they tied everything behind azerite. If you don’t have the right azerite the class doesn’t play the right way and that sucks.

So much of my damage even as fury is passive damage. CSHB, all the benthic stuff, procs from essences, procs from trinkets. The gearing has made everything much more bland.

Gear is definitely part of the problem but the class designers never stopped to consider how it would impact the instanced PvE game.

If they actually did then it doesn’t look good on them either. Better to just deny it.