I Won A Pirate (RP)

Silk and Gen sat in the park like two old ladies with nary a worry nor place to be. They watched mothers gossiping together in small clutches while children ran and shrieked, playing as children should with no cares except who had the ball or was next on the rope swing someone had tied to a tree.

“Whoever tied that did a good job,” Gen said. “I’ll wager it was a sailor.”

Silk peered at it. “Probably. I always appreciated a man who was good with his hands. Physical.”

Gen nodded. "How is Jack?’

“Restless. He’s anxious to be back at sea.”

“Maiden’s Revenge is nearly ready. We’ll bring in a shipment of legitimate goods to Stormwind and then start slipping in contraband as we can. I want the banker’s line’s ruined. All of his partners.”

Silk picked up a ball that had rolled over near them and tossed it back to the flock of children. “Come play with us,” one bold boy said with a bawdy wink.

Her answering laugh was infectious and the rest of the children whooped. “Maybe in a bit. Gen and some of you on one side and poor blind me and some others on another.”

“Sure, lady. We’ll be waiting.”

Gen fished a couple of apples out of her bag and tossed one to Silk, then peeled hers with a razor-sharp knife, in one continual peel as was her habit. “It’s such a beautiful day. I hope it’s pretty in Dalaran. B should enjoy his day, being his last and all.”

There was a crunch as Silk took a bite from the apple. “So tonight?”

“Yes, he gives his help, except his bodyguards, off one day a week and it’s always the same day. We’ll go in as sword dancers. Paid entertainment. I had some new outfits made. Bring your lute. Swords and cloak.”

“Something pretty, I hope. I like pretty.”

“Very. She did a good job. Not much to them, but they’re pretty. Sexy. They should get us in the door and Banker B, will be enthralled right till the end.” She sliced the apple up and chewed on one piece thoughtfully. This had been a long time coming. She almost hated to end the hunt. There was something primitively exciting about hunting a man who didn’t want to be found. The Enforcer would be the big thrill and the last on the list. The other men, she would ruin financially with raids on their ships or stock being shipped. She’d put them under within a year. Life was damned good. She had a crew she liked. A ship she loved. And a purpose in life. Guarding Bishop LeMaye had been good, but he objected to her strong tactics and decided to find a new captain of the guard. Hopefully, it wouldn’t cost his life. She liked LeMaye and admired him.

“Finish your apple,” she said. “Let’s go play ball with the kids and then we need to get ready for tonight.”

When the game was over, she asked the mothers if the kids could have a lemon drop and left a bag of candy for them to divide up.

Silk pursed her lips disapprovingly when they walked away. “Candy isn’t really good for kids.”

“Let them be kids. They’ll grow up and be responsible soon enough.”

The Banker Baron’s estate was lovely, huge, gated and well protected. She had sat many a day and night scouting it out. The gardens were immaculate. She shinnied up a tree nearby and sat on the rooftop of the neighbor’s house one night when he had a party. The pools and fountains were lit with blue luminescent globes that made the fish glow in the dark as they swam. Trees were strung with lights. Foods of every sort served along with exotic drinks and wines. On one table a nearly nude elf lay with food artfully arranged on her lithe body. People helped themselves to the delicacies and then dipped them into the sauces arranged around her. At the end of the night she was raffled off to the high bidder, this was a charity event after all. She wondered what her services would be listed as. Maid, no doubt.

Oh, the things that money can buy. Banker was used to the good life.

When all this was done, she was going to spend some time in that garden and drink a glass of wine, but first business. The outfits were little more than heavily jeweled bras and jeweled belts with skirts made of multiple gossamer veils or scarves. Silk’s was royal blue with golden coins draping from the belt and the bra band. Gen’s was deep peacock blue with the same trim. Over them they word simple black robes and hooded cloaks. Sword belts criss-crossed their hips. The guards would object to the swords, of course. They’d have to demonstrate for them they were dancers and show them the letter from Beacham’s friend Marcus Michell. It had been meticulously forged to mimic his hand. Michell was out of town on business, so there was no way to confirm he had sent them.

“Bottoms up.” Gen said and handed Silk a vial. They hoped to drug the guards, but if they were smart, they’d insist the women drink some of the wine also. The anti-dote would counteract the mild poison that should knock the guards out for several hours.

Gen pulled the handle to the bell on the gate and a guard, the one call Rafe answered quickly, opening a small door. “Yeah, who you want?”

“Mr. Michell sent us to entertain Mr. Beacham. We’re a special thank you present.” She held the envelope up.

He held his hand out to take it. A few minutes later another guard peered out. That would be Jal. Silk waved at him, but he only grunted in return. Rafe returned and unlocked the gate. “Mr. Beacham said to bring you in, but we have to search you.”

“Of course,” Gen replied and held her arms out.

“The fel? Why do you need swords?”

“We’re sword dancers.” She unbuckled the sword belts carefully and removed the cloak and robe. “Do I look like a soldier to you?” she said, twirling around to give them full view of her legs and most of her rear.

“You’ve got a few scars,” Jal said dubiously.

She shrugged. “That happens when you’re learning to sword dance. That’s why you don’t see many of us. It’s dangerous to do, but beautiful to watch. Usually only royalty or the very rich can afford us. You’re in for a treat tonight, gentlemen. It will be a night you’ll never forget.”

He humphed. “Follow me.”

Beacham was sitting in his private garden in shorts and a silk robe. He lit up when he saw them. “Oh, let’s take a look at you two lovelies.” He pulled Silk’s cloak and robe off, his breath sucking in when he saw her in costume. “I see he enjoyed that elf he won very much. I’m sure I’m going to enjoy you two even more. Light bless him anyway. Mmm. Mmm. Very nice.”

“He also sent two bottles of wine he thought you’d enjoy,” Gen said as he guided us to a large room with plush couches and various odd covered pieces of furniture.

With a wave of his hand he motioned to the doors. “Lock them, Jal, and put the key away for safety. I’d like our tasties to stay until I’m ready for them to leave.”

Silk and Gen looked at each other, eyes wide, as she was sure he expected them to do. “We’re just dancers, sir,” Gen said.

“I’m sure you got paid handsomely. I’ll pay you more, much more if you please me.” He nodded toward Jal who was tucking the key into a placket inside his belt. “And my men, of course. You may start by pouring the wine, though. I do enjoy good wine.”

Gen poured three glasses of wine. Jal pulled down two more glasses from the rack. “Pour two more. You ladies will join us. You’ll drink first as a matter of fact.”

Silk smiled and licked her lips, shifting her hips as if excited at the prospect of drinking a rich man’s wine. They drank their wine, savoring it.

“All of it,” Jal barked.

Gen drained her glass and poured two more for them.

“Enough!” Beacham barked. “They don’t need to drink all that wine, It’s damned expensive. Give them something else.”

Jal pulled another bottle of wine from the rack and uncorked it. “I think you ladies will like this.”

“It’s a good vintage,” she said, looking the bottle. “I’m sure we will.”

The men settled into chairs and couches and waited, sipping wine and visiting quietly, planning. Silk got out her lute and began to play and sing. Beacham smiled widely, enjoying her thoroughly as she swayed to the music. Gen withdrew her swords and danced in the middle of the room, her now bare feet making small delicate steps as her body writhed to the music. A sword swooped down near her hip and lifted some of the veils free, so they fluttered loose and bared her leg. Beacham groaned softly. The other sword bared her other leg up to her hip. She leaned backwards, shimmying, going lower until she was nearly lying flat on the floor the swords wavering above her and then gradually raised up, eyes locked on Beacham, smiling seductively.

He poured them more wine. The song continued. Then a glass shattered.

“What have you done, you b!tches?” Rafe shouted clearing the table of the wine glasses. They backed away from him. Silk dropped her lute and drew her swords.

“This isn’t your affair,” Gen said softly. “You can walk away from this.”

“Like hell,” he growled. “It’s exactly what we get paid for. Don’t like to pork a woman all cut up and bloody, but in your case, I’ll enjoy it. Drop those swords.”

“Don’t think that would be wise,” Gen replied.

Jal had drawn his sword and moved around beside them.

“Don’t cut them up!” Beacham screamed. "I want them unblemished. “I’ll do the cutting.”

Beacham paid good money for good fighters. The men knew what they were doing. Gen was beginning to wonder if they hadn’t bitten off more than they could chew this time. It was ever a truth; men were men and women were women. Regardless of training, men had a distinct advantage over women in a long fight. They had to take them out quickly. The drugs had taken their edge off, but they were still formidable. Finally, Rafe’s temper got to him and he charged at her like a mad bull, head down. She stepped aside and brought her sword up, nearly severing his neck. He dropped his sword and then his head.

“Slice them up!” Beacham screamed. “Kill them! Kill them!”

Jal turned toward him when he did, and Silk drove her sword through his heart.

Beacham was at the door now, trying to break out. The doors rattled on their hinges, but they were solid and heavy, made for keeping people in. Silk rifled through Jal’s belt and pulled out the key. Gen walked around the room and pulled the covers off the “furniture”.

“Huh.” All manner of torture devices. She turned to stare at Beacham. “You work for the Scarlets? This is what you had planned for us?”

“No, no,” he squeaked. “Just wanted to, uh, enjoy you. You know, pleasure.”

“Yes, well, your idea of pleasure and ours may be different. So, tell you what, Mr. Beacham. Help us hoist your friends up on some of this equipment. I’m sure they’ve enjoyed using it before. They can be found on it.”

He cried, but helped them drag the two bodies to the equipment and strap them in.

“Now, do you have a wine cellar? I’m thirsty,” Gen said.

“Yes, yes. I have an excellent cellar.”

Gen gathered Rafe’s head in a bag she found behind the bar and waited with Beacham while Silk unlocked the door.

“I have money, you know,” he said, almost in tears. “And jewels. I’m very rich.”

“Oh, I know how rich you are and how you got rich. You got run out of Stormwind some years ago didn’t you?”

He huffed. “Trumped up charges. That damned paladin D’Amond. Her and the Presidium brought charges against me, but I would have gotten out of them.”

“But you didn’t, did you? Had to leave town.”

“Presidium got sick,” he giggled. “But they had evidence they brought anyway. That b!tch got it anyway.” He was giggling maniacally now. As if realizing where he was, he stopped. “My safe, you can have everything in it. Just let me go.”

"Tell you what. Give me the combination to your safe and we’ll have some cookies and wine and call it a night. How does that sound?’

“Yes! I like cookies.”

“Good. I brought some,” Gen said.

He spit out the combination to his safe and its location faster than thought. “Go check it,” Gen said. Silk met them in the cellar and verified the safe was open.

“Now, what’s your best cask of wine?”

“Oh, probably the Mont Pell.” He pointed to a cask in the corner. “It just arrived today as a matter of fact.”

“Only the best, Mr. Beacham, for this party.”

He laughed giddily. “Indeed. See things aren’t so bad, are they?”

“Not at all. I’m enjoying myself quite a lot. Are you enjoying yourself, Silk?”

“I am.”

Gen found some tools and pried the end off the cask.

“Wait, that’s not how you do it. You’ll ruin it.”

“It’ll be fine Mr. Beacham.” Gen patted his cheek. “Turn around.”

He did so, suddenly not so happy. Silk was dipping up bottles of wine while Gen pulled more veils loose from her belt. Gen tied his hands behind him and patted him. “You probably like games of tying people up, don’t you?”

“No, not really,” he said his voice breaking.

"Oh, I bet your do. Let’s have some cookies. But first, let’s get a chair over here and I want you to step into this cask.

“What? No, I’m not going to do that.”

Gen held up the bag with Rafe’s head. “Would you like to have a discussion with Rafe about how this feels? I can make it happen.”

He was blubbering like a baby when he clambered up on the chair and stepped into the cask with a splash. “You’ve ruined my best wine!”

“Oh, just don’t tell your guests, they’ll never know you’re p!ssing in it right now. Now, let’s have some cookies.” She started feeding him cookies. He tried to stop eating, but she kept cramming them in his mouth and then tied another veil over his mouth, gagging him.

“Just so you know, Gentyl D’Amond was my cousin, you low life cretin. That poison grain you sent has a curious aftereffect. You hemorrhage. Drown in your own blood. It’s a terrible, racking, painful way to die. Now, sit down in that cask. Do it or I will drive this mallet through your damned teeth.”

He sank slowly into the cask, crying, mumbling, begging no doubt for mercy. There was none to be found. Gen reached for the cask lid and tapped it into place. The cask wobbled as he struggled inside. They hopped on top and sat there, sipping wine until all got still.

“Think that’s been long enough?” Gen asked.

“Doubt he can hold his breath five minutes and it’s been at least that long.”

They slid off and Gen picked up a pencil used to mark shipments and wrote “look inside” on top of the cask then wiped the pencil off and the tools she’d handled. She placed Rafe’s head on the cask, so it was looking toward the doorway. “Get the wine and let’s get something to eat. I’m hungry.”

They headed back upstairs to the kitchen and found things to make sandwiches and some fresh fruit and cheese then went out to the garden. “I like it out here,” Gen said. “It must be nice to be rich.”

“There’s enough money and jewels in the safe to make you comfortable.”

“Eh, that’s a cushion to take care of my people. I’ll put it away in case something happens to me. If it does, divide it up between the people. You have a special portion I’ve set aside. Get far away. For now, let’s enjoy Banker Beacham’s wine. It really is a shame we wasted it on him. It’s very good.”

1 Like

Silk and Gen sat in the park like two old ladies with nary a worry nor place to be. They watched mothers gossiping together in small clutches while children ran and shrieked, playing as children should with no cares except who had the ball or was next on the rope swing someone had tied to a tree.

“Whoever tied that did a good job,” Gen said. “I’ll wager it was a sailor.”

Silk peered at it. “Probably. I always appreciated a man who was good with his hands. Physical.”

Gen nodded. "How is Jack?’

“Restless. He’s anxious to be back at sea.”

“Maiden’s Revenge is nearly ready. We’ll bring in a shipment of legitimate goods to Stormwind and then start slipping in contraband as we can. I want the banker’s line’s ruined. All of his partners.”

Silk picked up a ball that had rolled over near them and tossed it back to the flock of children. “Come play with us,” one bold boy said with a bawdy wink.

Her answering laugh was infectious and the rest of the children whooped. “Maybe in a bit. Gen and some of you on one side and poor blind me and some others on another.”

“Sure, lady. We’ll be waiting.”

Gen fished a couple of apples out of her bag and tossed one to Silk, then peeled hers with a razor-sharp knife, in one continual peel as was her habit. “It’s such a beautiful day. I hope it’s pretty in Daloran. B should enjoy his day, being his last and all.”

There was a crunch as Silk took a bite from the apple. “So tonight?”

“Yes, he gives his help, except his bodyguards, off one day a week and it’s always the same day. We’ll go in as sword dancers. Paid entertainment. I had some new outfits made. Bring your lute. Swords and cloak.”

“Something pretty, I hope. I like pretty.”

“Very. She did a good job. Not much to them, but they’re pretty. Sexy. They should get us in the door and Banker B, will be enthralled right till the end.” She sliced the apple up and chewed on one piece thoughtfully. This had been a long time coming. She almost hated to end the hunt. There was something primitively exciting about hunting a man who didn’t want to be found. The Enforcer would be the big thrill and the last on the list. The other men, she would ruin financially with raids on their ships or stock being shipped. She’d put them under within a year. Life was damned good. She had a crew she liked. A ship she loved. And a purpose in life. Guarding Bishop LeMaye had been good, but he objected to her strong tactics and decided to find a new captain of the guard. Hopefully, it wouldn’t cost his life. She liked LeMaye and admired him.

“Finish your apple,” she said. “Let’s go play ball with the kids and then we need to get ready for tonight.”

When the game was over, she asked the mothers if the kids could have a lemon drop and left a bag of candy for them to divide up.

Silk pursed her lips disapprovingly when they walked away. “Candy isn’t really good for kids.”

“Let them be kids. They’ll grow up and be responsible soon enough.”

The Banker Baron’s estate was lovely, huge, gated and well protected. She had sat many a day and night scouting it out. The gardens were immaculate. She shinnied up a tree nearby and sat on the rooftop of the neighbor’s house one night when he had a party. The pools and fountains were lit with blue luminescent globes that made the fish glow in the dark as they swam. Trees were strung with lights. Foods of every sort served along with exotic drinks and wines. On one table a nearly nude elf lay with food artfully arranged on her lithe body. People helped themselves to the delicacies and then dipped them into the sauces arranged around her. At the end of the night she was raffled off to the high bidder, this was a charity event after all. She wondered what her services would be listed as. Maid, no doubt.

Oh, the things that money can buy. Banker Baron was used to the good life.

When all this was done, she was going to spend some time in that garden and drink a glass of wine, but first business. The outfits were little more than heavily jeweled bras and jeweled belts with skirts made of multiple gossamer veils or scarves. Silk’s was royal blue with golden coins draping from the belt and the bra band. Gen’s was deep peacock blue with the same trim. Over them they word simple black robes and hooded cloaks. Sword belts criss-crossed their hips. The guards would object to the swords, of course. They’d have to demonstrate for them they were dancers and show them the letter from Beaucham’s friend Marcus Michell. It had been meticulously forged to mimic his hand. Michell was out of town on business, so there was no way to confirm he had sent them.

“Bottoms up.” Gen said and handed Silk a vial. They hoped to drug the guards, but if they were smart, they’d insist the women drink some of the wine also. The anti-dote would counteract the mild poison that should knock the guards out for several hours.

Gen pulled the handle to the bell on the gate and a guard, the one call Rafe answered quickly, opening a small door. “Yeah, who you want?”

“Mr. Michell sent us to entertain Mr. Beacham. We’re a special thank you present.” She held the envelope up.

He held his hand out to take it. A few minutes later another guard peered out. That would be Jal. Silk waved at him, but he only grunted in return. Rafe returned and unlocked the gate. “Mr. Beacham said to bring you in, but we have to search you.”

“Of course,” Gen replied and held her arms out.

“The fel? Why do you need swords?”

“We’re sword dancers.” She unbuckled the sword belts carefully and removed the cloak and robe. “Do I look like a soldier to you?” she said, twirling around to give them full view of her legs and most of her rear.

“You’ve got a few scars,” Jal said dubiously.

She shrugged. “That happens when you’re learning to sword dance. That’s why you don’t see many of us. It’s dangerous to do, but beautiful to watch. Usually only royalty or the very rich can afford us. You’re in for a treat tonight, gentlemen. It will be a night you’ll never forget.”

He humphed. “Follow me.”

Beacham was sitting in his private garden in shorts and a silk robe. He lit up when he saw them. “Oh, let’s take a look at you two lovelies.” He pulled Silk’s cloak and robe off, his breath sucking in when he saw her in costume. “I see he enjoyed that elf he won very much. I’m sure I’m going to enjoy you two even more. Light bless him anyway. Mmm. Mmm. Very nice.”

“He also sent two bottles of wine he thought you’d enjoy,” Gen said as he guided us to a large room with plush couches and various odd covered pieces of furniture.

With a wave of his hand he motioned to the doors. “Lock them, Jal, and put the key away for safety. I’d like our tasties to stay until I’m ready for them to leave.”

Silk and Gen looked at each other, eyes wide, as she was sure he expected us to do. “We’re just dancers, sir,” Gen said.

“I’m sure you got paid handsomely. I’ll pay you more, much more if you please me.” He nodded toward Jal who was tucking the key into a placket inside his belt. “And my men, of course. You may start by pouring the wine, though. I do enjoy good wine.”

Gen poured three glasses of wine. Jal pulled down two more glasses from the rack. “Pour two more. You ladies will join us. You’ll drink first as a matter of fact.”

Silk smiled and licked her lips, shifting her hips as if excited at the prospect of drinking a rich man’s wine. They drank their wine, savoring it.

“All of it,” Jal barked.

Gen drained her glass and poured two more for them.

“Enough!” Beacham barked. “They don’t need to drink all that wine, It’s damned expensive. Give them something else.”

Jal pulled another bottle of wine from the rack and uncorked it. “I think you ladies will like this.”

“It’s a good vintage,” she said, looking the bottle. “I’m sure we will.”

The men settled into chairs and couches and waited, sipping wine and visiting quietly, planning. Silk got out her lute and began to play and sing. Beacham smiled widely, enjoying her thoroughly as she swayed to the music. Gen withdrew her swords and danced in the middle of the room, her now bare feet making small delicate steps as her body writhed to the music. A sword swooped down near her hip and lifted some of the veils free, so they fluttered loose and bared her leg. Beacham groaned softly. The other sword bared her other leg up to her hip. She leaned backwards, shimmying, going lower until she was nearly lying flat on the floor the swords wavering above her and then gradually raised up, eyes locked on Beacham, smiling seductively.

He poured them more wine. The song continued. Then a glass shattered.

"What have you done, you b!tches,"Rafe shouted clearing the table of the wine glasses. They backed away from him. Silk dropped her lute and drew her swords.

“This isn’t your affair,” Gen said softly. “You can walk away from this.”

“Like hell,” he growled. “It’s exactly what we get paid for. Don’t like to pork a woman all cut up and bloody, but in your case, I’ll enjoy it. Drop those swords.”

“Don’t think that would be wise,” Gen replied.

Jal had drawn his sword and moved around beside them.

“Don’t cute them up!” Beacham screamed. "I want them unblemished. “I’ll do the cutting.”

Beacham paid good money for good fighters. The men knew what they were doing. Gen was beginning to wonder if they hadn’t bitten off more than they could chew this time. It was ever a truth; men were men and women were women. Regardless of training, men had a distinct advantage over women in a long fight. They had to take them out quickly. The drugs had taken their edge off, but they were still formidable. Finally, Rafe’s temper got to him and he charged at her like a mad bull, head down. She stepped aside and brought her sword up, nearly severing his neck. He dropped his sword and then his head.

“Slice them up!” Beacham screamed. “Kill them. Kill them!”

Jal turned toward him when he did, and Silk drove her sword through his heart.

Beacham was at the door now, trying to break out. The doors rattled on their hinges, but they were solid and heavy, made for keeping people in. Silk rifled through Jal’s belt and pulled out the key. Gen walked around the room and pulled the covers off the “furniture”.

“Huh.” All manner of torture devices. She turned to stare at Beacham. “You work for the Scarlets? This is what you had planned for us?”

“No, no,” he squeaked. “Just wanted to, uh, enjoy you. You know, pleasure.”

“Yes, well, your idea of pleasure and ours may be different. So, tell you what, Mr. Beacham. Help us hoist your friends up on some of this equipment. I’m sure they’ve enjoyed using it before. They can be found on it.”

He cried, but helped them drag the two bodies to the equipment and strap them in.

“Now, do you have a wine cellar? I’m thirsty,” Gen said.

“Yes, yes. I have an excellent cellar.”

Gen gathered Rafe’s head in a bag she found behind the bar and waited with Beacham while Silk unlocked the door.

“I have money, you know,” he said, almost in tears. “And jewels. I’m very rich.”

“Oh, I know how rich you are and how you got rich. You got run out of Stormwind some years ago didn’t you?”

He huffed. “Trumped up charges. That damned paladin D’Amond. Her and the Presidium brought charges against me, but I would have gotten out of them.”

“But you didn’t, did you? Had to leave town.”

“Presidium got sick,” he giggled. “But they had evidence they brought anyway. That b!tch got it anyway.” He was giggling maniacally now. As if realizing where he was, he stopped. “My safe, you can have everything in it. Just let me go.”

"Tell you what. Give me the combination to your safe and we’ll have some cookies and wine and call it a night. How does that sound?’

“Yes! I like cookies.”

“Good. I brought some,” Gen said.

He spit out the combination to his safe and its location faster than thought. “Go check it,” Gen said. Silk met them in the cellar and verified the safe was open.

“Now, what’s your best cask of wine?”

“Oh, probably the Mont Pell.” He pointed to a cask in the corner. “It just arrived today as a matter of fact.”

“Only the best, Mr. Beacham, for this party.”

He laughed giddily. “Indeed. See things aren’t so bad, are they?”

“Not at all. I’m enjoying myself quite a lot. Are you enjoying yourself, Silk?”

“I am.”

Gen found some tools and pried the end off the cask.

“Wait, that’s not how you do it. You’ll ruin it.”

“It’ll be fine Mr. Beacham.” Gen patted his cheek. “Turn around.”

He did so, suddenly not so happy. Silk was dipping up bottles of wine while Gen pulled more veils loose from her belt. Gen tied his hands behind him and patted him. “You probably like games of tying people up, don’t you?”

“No, not really,” he said his voice breaking.

"Oh, I bet your do. Let’s have some cookies. But first, let’s get a chair over here and I want you to step into this cask.

“What? No, I’m not going to do that.”

Gen held up the bag with Rafe’s head. “Would you like to have a discussion with Rafe about how this feels? I can make it happen.”

He was blubbering like a baby when he clambered up on the chair and stepped into the cask with a splash. “You’ve ruined my best wine!”

“Oh, just don’t tell your guests, they’ll never know you’re p!ssing in it right now. Now, let’s have some cookies.” She started feeding him cookies. He tried to stop eating, but she kept cramming them in his mouth and then tied another veil over his mouth, gagging him.

“Just so you know, Gentyl D’Amond was my cousin, you low life cretin. That poison grain you sent has a curious aftereffect. You hemorrhage. Drown in your own blood. It’s a terrible, racking, painful way to die. Now, sit down in that cask. Do it or I will drive this mallet through your damned teeth.”

He sank slowly into the cask, crying, mumbling, begging no doubt for mercy. There was none to be found. Gen reached for the cask lid and tapped it into place. The cask wobbled as he struggled inside. They hopped on top and sat there, sipping wine until all got still.

“Think that’s been long enough?” Gen asked.

“Doubt he can hold his breath five minutes and it’s been at least that long.”

They slid off and Gen picked up a pencil used to mark shipments and wrote “look inside” on top of the cask then wiped the pencil off and the tools she’d handled. She placed Rafe’s head on the cask, so it was looking toward the doorway. “Get the wine and let’s get something to eat. I’m hungry.”

They headed back upstairs to the kitchen and found things to make sandwiches and some fresh fruit and cheese then went out to the garden. “It’s nice out here,” Gen said. “It must be nice to be rich.”

“There’s enough money and jewels in the safe to make you comfortable.”

“Eh, that’s a cushion to take care of my people. I’ll put it away in case something happens to me. If it does, divide it up between the people. You have a special portion I’ve set aside. Get far away. For now, let’s enjoy Banker Beacham’s wine. It really is a shame we wasted it on him. It’s very good.”

(I have another post going up about the investigation with the Lighthouse murder. Then, Gen and Silk are on the hunt for The Enforcer. I haven’t named him and his character is pretty open aside from the fact he is deadly. If anyone wants to rp him, I’m perfectly open to that, either writing his character or in game. The girls don’t have to succeed in killing him. They are hunting him and this is a crap shoot as to whether they will succeed. Who knows? He may turn the tables on them and hunt or capture them. That being said, I’d prefer not to kill off my characters.

We can deal with other scenarios.

Plus, the Maiden’s Revenge is ready to sail, so if someone wants to interact with that, it’s open. One of the crew, a merchant who’s lost goods or a vessel, inspecting her when she makes dock. This is an open book about what can happen aside from the first shipment will be completely legitimate. After that, it’s a roll of the dice.

I want this story to be inclusive so people can get involved if you wish and let it roll as it will.

Feel free to post to it. Feel free to contact me in game.

Gen)

((This is the long overdue lighthouse murder investigation report. I blame RL. It’s always RL’s fault.))

Report taken by: Lt. Marius Sedgegrave
Date: 7/18
Time: 8:58pm
Location: Western shore of Westfall, the dock approximately .25 miles south of the lighthouse
Persons involved:

Victim: John Boyd, alias Christoph Butler. Age 42. A human male, 6’ 2,” 223 pounds. No identifying scars or tattoos. Size 12 black leather boots. White linen shirt. Dark brown cloth pants.

Witness A: Captain Grayson

Suspect A: A tall female elf with long black hair, light blue skin, and tattoos. She was wearing a cloak, a skirt, and a strip of cloth across her breasts.

Suspect B: A short female human with long brown hair and fair skin. She was wearing a cloak and a gauzy skirt.

Responding officers: Lieutenant Marius Sedgegrave, Investigator Kyla Murphy, Patrol Officer Neddy Zauth, Patrol Officer Almaz.

Describe the incident:

At 8:58pm a call was received from a Capt. Grayson reporting a murder he had observed at a dock near the Westfall Lighthouse, where he works. A team of investigators responded immediately. We met Capt. Greyson on the beach adjacent to the dock. His statement was taken (see witness statements below) while the team searched the area for evidence (see evidence section). The victim was located almost immediately. He was tied to the northwest dock pylon with a rope, and was submerged in the water up to his neck. The witnesses’ statements and evidence found corroborated each other, and indicated the following events had occurred:

The victim and the two suspects arrived via gryphon approximately 5:30pm. They started to have a picnic, which transition into a musical performance by the two suspects. The human female began to commit increasingly physically intimate acts with the victim, leading to the human producing a rope. At that point the victim physically assaulted the human suspect, but was immediately subdued by the elf suspect hitting him over the head with a bottle. The victim was then tied up, and subjected to a continued musical performance from the human, and additional physically intimate activities, e.g. kissing and feeding the victim food. After five to ten minutes of these activities, according to Capt. Greyson’s statement, the suspects gagged the victim and rolled him off the dock into the water, where the elf tied the victim to the pylon. The victim was not positioned so that he would immediately drown, but where it would take the increased sea level from high tide to drown him. It was approximately 6pm at this point, and high tide that night at that location occurred at 6:17pm. In the intervening time, the human suspect resumed singing and dancing while balanced upon the pylon the victim was tied to. High tied occurred as scheduled, and the victim drowned. The suspects then freed the victim’s gryphon (later located at the victim’s home) and flew eastward on their own two gryphons.

Capt. Greyson summoned the Watch once he was able to leave the lighthouse and reach a communication device. He was not in possession of one while at the lighthouse.

Physical Evidence Collected:

A quilt, torn quilt strips used as a gag for the victim, a broken wine bottle containing traces of wine, a white veil, remains of picnic food: cheese, ham, bread. grapes, one long apple peel. Chocolate chip cookies filling the victim’s mouth. Three sets of footprints, two barefoot, one pair of boots (matching the size of the victim’s boots). Three sets of gryphon tracks. A faint scent of roses in the air.

Crime Scene Investigator Addendum ((if one responds)): None

Witness Statements: Two witnesses were questioned. Captain Grayson was question at the crime scene. Bart Rogers was questioned later in the evening at his home.

Captain Grayson’s statement: Capt. Grayson works the night shift at the lighthouse located off the west coast of Westfall. He relieved Bart Rodgers, the day shift lighthouse keeper at 5pm as usual. Mr. Rodgers then went home for dinner. At approximately 5:30, three people arrived on the beach via gryphons. They landed near the small dock located 250 yards south of the lighthouse, on the shoreline. He described the three as per the descriptions in the Persons Involved section. Not having any particular tasks at the moment, Capt. Grayson continued to observe the group. The three individuals laid out the quilt and began to have a picnic. They ate and the human female danced and sang while the female elf played a lute.

Capt. Greyson continued to watch as the females undressed the victim. The human straddled the victim and began kissing him. The human then took out a length of rope. At that point the victim attacked the human female, knocked her off of him, and jumped on top of her. The elf subsequently hit him over the head with a bottle.

At this point, Capt. Greyson noted that he had to look away to signal a ship, and the time engaged in that task lasted about 15 minutes. When he looked back to the group at the dock, he observed that the victim had been tied up. The human female had returned to dancing and singing. She sat on the victim’s lap again and resumed kissing him. Capt. Greyson watched as the human alternated between performing, kissing him, and feeding him food. After five or ten minutes, according to Capt. Greyson’s reckoning, the females gagged the victim and rolled him off the dock into the water. The elf followed him into the water while the human returned to singing and dancing. The elf tied the victim to one of the dock pylons so that when the tide came in, he’d drown. The human continued to sing and dance on top of the pylon above the victim until the tide came in, with the elf watching. Capt. Greyson watched the entire time it took for the time to rise and drown the victim, which he estimated to be twenty minutes. After the victim was drowned, the females set the victim’s gryphon loose, mounted their own, and flew off eastward.

Greyson stated that he was unable to leave the lighthouse to report the murder until Mr. Rodgers returned at 7pm. Mr. Rodgers remained at the lighthouse while Capt. Greyson summoned the Watch.

Mr. Bart Rogers Statement: Mr. Rodgers confirmed that he is the day shift lighthouse worker. He stated he left the lighthouse for dinner at home at 5pm, once Capt. Greyson arrived to relieve him. Mr. Rodgers noticed nothing unusual at that time. Mr. Rodgers returned home and ate dinner. As a rule, he remains at home after dinner, but this particular night his wife was away visiting friends, so he stated he decided to take a walk back to the lighthouse. He arrived around 7pm and found Capt. Greyson highly agitated. Capt. Greyson summarized the murder he had witnessed, and asked Mr. Rodgers to resume the lighthouse keeper’s tasks in order to permit Capt. Greyson to report the murder. Mr. Rodgers agreed and remained in the lighthouse until Capt. Greyson returned with the Watch, with the exception of approximately ten minutes which he spent walking to the dock and observing the victim’s corpse, which was still tied to the pylon and half-sunk in the ocean.

Further investigation required? Yes

Recommendations? Question acquaintances and families of both John Boyd and Wills Donnovan to determine if there are any connections between both victims. Also check past employment histories and business dealings for the same reason. Check if descriptions of female suspects match any known associates of the men, have been seen in places frequented by either man, or if they are employed as escorts in Stormwind. Check if female suspects had been seen around either victim’s residence.

2 Likes

(I apologize that it’s been so long, but life takes its toll. I discussed this with Orwyn and he was interested in finishing the story, so we’ll try to do that.)

Faithe knocked timidly on the door. “Are you busy, Gen?”

She looked up from her paperwork and put it aside. Haethulf’s men had done an excellent job of refitting The Maiden’s Revenge. They were also born to the sea. The haul had been excellent from several raids. The problem now was she was simply going to have to start bringing goods into Stormwind. She needed to send an emissary to the Watch’s office and get required paperwork in order and then make sure they had proper paperwork or at least very proper looking.

But for now, she needed to take care of Faithe. What kind of problems could the girl have? Missing herbs? A boyfriend didn’t show up for date, but now that she thought about it, she had never seen her in the company of many men. Very seldom a nice dinner with a pleasant young man, but that was about it.

“No, of course not. Please come in.”

Her office was well-appointed, but not extravagant. She tended toward darker jewel colors. The tapestries on the walls were expensive. The rugs the finest woven meersham wool. She had commissioned a painting of Gentyl posing for it herself in her prized armor with her hair done like hers was. That painting and two landscapes by a promising young artist she had much faith in hung behind her desk. The painting of Gentyl she kept to remind her why she did what she did. It would never be enough for the suffering they had caused, but she would exact her revenge. Some wouldn’t die, but she would put them out of business by hitting their goods and ships until they had nothing.

Faithe fidgeted nervously with her hands, staring at them in her lap as if they might suddenly do something very unexpected.

“What is it, Faithe? What happened?”

“I think…” she looked up and back down again. “I think I may be involved in a murder.”

The h3ll? How could she have done something like that? “You killed someone?”

She looked up aghast. “Light no! You’ve heard about Mr. Beacham in Dalaran dying?”

“Briefly.” Gen waved a hand airily. “I don’t really keep up with much there.”

She described what had happened to Banker Beacham in vivid detail. Gen narrowed her eyes wondering how she knew so much about the house and murder. “One of the police told you all this?”

“Oh, no. I’m sure they wouldn’t tell me all this stuff. A little gnome reporter named Scoop slipped inside while they were investigating and saw everything before they caught her. She snagged a bottle of drugs that I mixed for Mr. Beacham’s mother. He was a steady customer of mine, you see.”

“He was?”

She nodded her head miserably. “Yes, he said his mother got violent at times, so they needed a powerful medicine to calm her. He didn’t want to have to send her away. If he could just keep her calm, he could take care of her at home like a good son. The gnome told me about the torture equipment and some of the staff admitted they knew he brought young women there, prostitutes probably, but they left before morning.”

Yes, left before morning rolled up in tarps no doubt. The drugs were what he had tried to put in our wine. Maybe drowning in fine wine was too good for him.

“So, why did she tell you all this?”

“Because I refused to talk to her. That’s when she produced the vial and said she knew I’d been making drugs for him, and they were most likely used in connection with torture and murder. Then she described the murder scene and the torture devices. Unless I wanted her to do a story about me, I needed to talk to her. She thinks this is part of some serial killings in the Stormwind area.”

Leaning back in the chair, Gen stared at the hunt scene in one of the tapestries. She put her hands behind her head and rocked in her chair. “So, you told her everything you know?”

“Yes, of course.”

“Well, I think you should go to the police here and then maybe go to Stormwind also. No doubt that nosy gnome will be delving into the Stormwind murders. Sooner or later, your connection to Beacham will come out. It will look better if you approach them first rather than let them find you.”

“I was wondering about that. She’s like a hunting hound hot on a scent. I don’t think she’s going to let go.”

Great, that’s all we need is a hungry reporter sticking her nose in the middle of things.

“These drugs you mixed for Beacham, was it just to calm his mother?”

Faithe looked even more miserable if that was possible. “No, he also had me mix a special blend that confuses the mind, disturbs memories. He wanted that for when his mother was remembering bad things from her past and getting agitated. He said he could ease her memories, muddle them so they didn’t disturb her so. Now,” she held up her hands helplessly, “I don’t know what to think. I can see where it might help a soldier suffering from battle stress or dementia patients. What if it was all a lie though? I keep thinking what if he drugged some girl and erased their memories or manipulated them to think something else happened to them not involved with him?”

“Is that possible?” Gen asked genuinely intrigued.

“I don’t think it would be with a normal dose or under normal circumstances, but Beacham was anything but normal. Usually, it just calms a disturbing memory.” She pulled two small vials out of her herbal bag. “The blue is the one to calm. The green is the mind muddler.”

"I know, sweet girl. Don’t worry. We’ll take care of it.

“I worked years on this formula to try to help soldiers. I would hate it if the formula had been abused.”

“Don’t worry, Gen will take care of everything. Talk to the authorities and I will speak to Orwyn soon.” She tucked the vials in her pocket and went around her desk to give Faithe a deep hug. “Don’t worry. I got you, girl.”

Faithe read the story to Gen who rocked slowly in her chair, hands behind her head, eyes closed. Her face was immobile, no sign of emotion, but Faithe was seething inside. The little creature would not rest until every clue was discovered? That meant she’d be digging further into Faithe’s past, her business, her friends.

DEATH IN DALARAN
Byline Scoop Hackson

*Dawn broke rosy with promise Tuesday morning. The smell of baking bread and pastries wafted across the city in the sky. Fresh fruit aromas enticed early morning shoppers who sifted through juicy strawberries, plump peaches, beautiful berries. Aerith Primrose’s stall overflows with the perfume of roses and wildflowers. It’s an intoxicating blend…but if you stop and stand away from the stalls and near a gated home, you smell something else. It’s a sinister smell that doesn’t belong in this pristine city. It’s the smell of death. *

Welcome to the house of horrors, formerly known as Banker Beacham’s mansion.

Sometimes during the night two men, Rafe Hanson and Jal (Jalcom) Matthews were viciously murdered protecting the late Mr. Bernard Beacham. Though they put up a valiant effort, the brutal thugs bested Beacham’s bodyguards and hacked them to death, then mounted their bodies on well-used Scarlet-like torture devices found in a macabre entertainment room.

To add insult to injury, and an extra dose of horror to the scene, the perpetrators arranged Mr. Hanson’s head on a wine cask to watch the steps leading to the wine cellar. The unlucky maid who found it when she went searching for Mr. Beacham justifiably fainted at the sight.

Written on top of the wine cask was, “Look inside!”

When the police pulled the top from the cask, they discovered the missing Beacham drowned in his finest wine.

*There are more details to come, but the authorities have asked me not to divulge them at this time so as to help find the murderers. Images of the entertainment room and the crime scene to follow in another report. *

Is it possible these murders are linked to the ones near Stormwind? This reporter thinks they are and will not rest until she has uncovered every clue.

Gen remained quiet for a moment and then reached for her coffee. “Well, I think we know one thing about this gnome.”

“And that is?” Faithe replied despondently.

“Miss Hackson is a frustrated romance author. Light at that purple prose. I don’t know what you’re worried about. You knew she was going to write this story. I’m sure she told you all this.”

“Yes, and much more,” Faithe replied. “Things I wish I’d never heard of. I’m amazed she was able to snoop around that long before they found her. She has pictures of everything.”

Gen raised an eyebrow. “Pictures?”

“Yes, she has some kind of gnomish picture-taking device. She carries a larger, dummy one in case she gets caught, but they didn’t find the real one.”

“Interesting.”

(I intended to post this as Scoop, but I can’t pull the character up. Yes, she’s level ten. The things I do for rp.)

(Apparently someone was offended by my post so here is the gist of it. Captain Greyson has had his memory screwed up. In case anyone is wondering what I wrote, I will repost it later sanitized.

Have a good day.

Special thanks to Lt. Sedgegrave, Officers Zauth, Almaz (bless her suffering heart), Alayothan, Wardley, I hope I didn’t miss anyone.

There were discussions I didn’t include because it would have made the post (the deleted one) so long I feared people wouldn’t read, but thank you Wardley for bantering with the old man about women.

Then there was Alayothan: “If only the next time it happens, the man is alive and very appreciative of his savior…”

A few were going to swear off eating crabs and shrimp after Wardley picked them off the body.

If anyone ever has a chance to interact with the Stormwind Union, please do. They are top-notch and always have been.

1 Like

((Ooo, I just saw the new posts! I’ll have to write something up now!))

(lol wait until I post the revised one. It’s going to give you some new meat to chew on, but mess things up a bit too. I’ll feed you all the Dalaran info so you don’t have to investigate that. I need to make an appt for Scoop to come by. Also, Faithe needs to confess her involvement in the Dalaran mess.

I have to say, that rping with the Union is really the best experience. Y’all are so much fun.)

Scoop had been snooping around Dalaran for days gathering information on the disgraced banker who had been posing as a wealthy merchant. She would surely win a Bobel Prize for this series of stories. She would break this story wide open and all the other with just a bit of luck and she carried every lucky charm known to man or gnome.

No one paid attention to gnomes if they wanted to be invisible and she could be like a plant. In fact she was a plant much of the time thanks to those seeds. The Stormwind Union was her next target.

Gen got out the encrypted notes about the murder of Boyd. She had worn the white silk dancing outfit with veils and the brown wig. They’d worn plain blue dresses over them and dark robes with hoods to hide their faces. Silk had worn a very skimpy outfit with a skirt of nearly nothing and a jeweled breast band.

She’d wear a blonde wig today to visit Captain Greyson and take him some brownies.

Greyson was on duty alone today, so it was the perfect day to come calling. Pulling out a plain gray dress to cover the dancing outfit underneath, she quickly dressed and tossed on a black cloak. As cover, she grabbed a notebook and pencil off her desk. She was going as an author to interview him after all.

He was sitting outside the lighthouse on the small balcony smoking and waved at her when she landed. “Ahoy, gal. You lost?” He laughed.

“Looking for Captain Greyson,” she replied, peering up at him and smiling.

“You’re not lost then. Come on up. Door’s open.” He motioned to the pastry box. “Bring me a gift?”

“Nothing wrong with your eyes, sir. I surely did.”

“Then hurry up and quit palaverin’”

She locked the door behind her so they wouldn’t be disturbed. If someone came before she was finished, she’d step out and whistle Ronan to her and fly away. She intended to do this quickly so he wouldn’t remember much more than what she suggested to him.

“Captain Greyson,” she greeted cheerfully, “I’m Solena Donner and I’m writing a book about the recent murders. I’d like to include you in the book if I may? You’d be a major part of the story since you’re the only witness.” Solena Donner was actually a hard-bitten investigative journalist, turned true crime story author. She was short, built like a clefthoof bull, was twice as snuffy, and had died six months ago at the age of sixty-five, but Gen doubted the good Captain read true crime books. If he did, she would say she was named after her.

He beamed. “Come in. Come in. My, aren’t I popular? A little gnome reporter with the Dalaran Daily is coming out tomorrow to talk to me.”

She leaned closer. “Well, you are a hero. You may be the key to cracking the case, you know.”

“Oh really?” He smiled at her and cocked his head. “Come sit down. Can I get you something to drink? Coffee? Tea? Something stronger?”

“Coffee if you have it. I brought brownies.” She held the bakery box up. The bakery box was real, but she had baked the brownies within. Unlike her cousin, she was a very good cook.

He laughed. “You know that fella died with chocolate cookies in his mouth. One of those officers said, ‘Same as the other.’ Heard rumors that banker that died the other day was found that way too.”

Pulling the box to him, he snagged a handful of brownies and put them on a plate and put it in the center of the table. She declined saying she was allergic to chocolate. “Told the officers if they found I’d been eating chocolate cookies they could rest assured I’d been murdered by an irate baker. I don’t like chocolate cookies.” He thought about it a while. “Course, if one of them offered me one, I might just have to eat it for her. What can I say? I’m weak.” He held up one of the brownies and grinned, showing off a front tooth with a hole worn through it from years of gripping a pipe in the same place. “These are pretty darned good, however. Do you think brownies are cake or cookies?”

She smiled encouragingly at him. He was going to be easy to manipulate. “Cake, I think.” He nodded in agreement. “So, you saw everything?”

“Most everything.” He set down a cup of coffee in front of her and then went to his refrigerator to fetch some cream. He dosed his coffee generously with cream and sugar offered her some. She declined. “I had to turn away for a bit to signal a ship." He described the crime and shook his head. "That dancing gal up on top of the pylon dancing and singing to him. Voice like an angel and dance like a fairy. The elf was playing that lute so pretty, but I swear they must be demons.” He took a sip of coffee. “Damn fine-looking demons, but demons.”

She pushed the plate of brownies toward him with the back of her hand encouragingly and got out her notebook. “Can you remember what you told the officers?”

He started eating another brownie and furrowed his brow. “Yep, every word. Mind like a steel trap.”

Not for long, bucko.

Lieutenant Sedgegrave was the one asking most of the questions. I invited a nice looking little draenei to come have dinner with me some time. Told her I make the best clam chowder around, but she just turned up her nose at me." He looked at her and winked. “You like clam chowder?”

“I sure do,” Gen replied and smiled. “Give me some good stuff and I’ll have chowder with you.”

He raised a beetling brow. “It’s a date. Anyway, Sedgegrave asked me to describe it.”

His eyes started to dim as he sank into the memory aided by something, who knows what. Magic, perhaps. It’s as if Gen had faded into the scene with him from his point of view.

“Terrible thing. What a way to die,” the old man said.

Sedgegrave, “Would you tell us what you saw, sir? Chronologically would be best.”

“Course I was thinking earlier if I’d been down there, I’d die a happy man, but not that way. Cut my throat, but not drowning. They was havin’ a picnic looked like. Flew in, three of em. Two women and a man. Women had on hooded cloaks at first.”

“'Flew in on what? Any details on gear?” Sedgegrave asked looking up from his notebook.

“Gyphons. Nothin’ special. With those women, you’re lucky I noticed they was gryphons. Damned sure wasn’t watching birds.”

“'Zauth, look around for where they landed and document the prints if you find any.” Sedgegrave ordered and then looked back at the captain who was watching the draenei lady examine some evidence. “What time it was it, sir?”

“I figured, just a sweet picnic so I watched the sea for a bit then I looked back. Little after 5:30. Old Bart always leaves at 5.”

Greyson ate another brownie. “The worgen dude, Zauth, was sniffing up a storm, hunting tracks. Smelled roses. Didn’t see no flowers so must have been perfume They women had their cloaks off when I looked back.”

He wiped his forehead as the mystery influence and memory took him. “Holy cow.”

“Go on, sir,” Sedgegrave said.

“That tall elf gal had a bit of a skirt and a—” he made a motion across his chest. “Strip of cloth across here. That lieutenant fellow wanted to know everything, so I gave it to him.”

“What about their skin color shades?” Sedgegrave asked.

Greyson finished his brownie and yawned then went back to the scene. His mind was already starting to soften. “The human was pretty fair skinned.” He looked at me bleary-eyed. “Sort of like you. Told him the elf was blue-skinned.”

“Like night elf blue or snacker void elf blue?” The worgen fella named Zauth asked.

“I told him, 'Elf was tall maybe the same height as the man or a little less. Human was short. Elf was lighter blue.”

Good, the blue dye on Silk’s skin worked.

He continued to give a detailed description of the people and described how I had toyed with Boyd until he decided to play his own game. One I had no intention of playing and he decked me, sending me flying. We had carefully wiped down everything we’d touched up to that point, but Silk picked up a wine bottle and broke it over his head when he attacked me.

“The worgen fellow was drooling when I described how that gal was all over that guy and shifted to human form. Don’t blame him I was drooling again too at the thought.” Greyson wiped his forehead.

The old man had seen most of it except a bit when he had to signal a ship. No surprise, Orwyn’s crew had been extremely thorough.

“What kind of evidence did they gather?” Gen asked.

“Gathered up everything like a bunch of scavenger ants. An apple peeling one of them had peeled in one long spiral piece. Broken bottle pieces. Quilt. Bits of food. Picnic stuff. Hair. Blood. Clothes. Veil from that dancing outfit. Rope.”

There might be prints on that broken glass. And I hadn’t thought about the way I peeled apples. It was an unfortunate habit I was going to have to break.

“Oh,” he said, brightening, "I told them the elf was wearing a mask. They think she might be a demon hunter. Reckon that guy was a demon?”

“He might have been,” Gen said. She wasn’t surprised he remembered that and was prepared for it. Standing up, she slowly unbuttoned her dress and let it pool at her feel to reveal the dancing outfit, then put on a masquerade mask. “Captain, you’ve been very helpful and I’m going to reward you, as I promised.”

His eyes opened wide. A smile spread slowly, His fingers twitched in his lap, and he shifted restlessly in his chair. “Really?” he croaked.

“Yes, really. But first, let me get you a drink to celebrate our new relationship.”

He pointed vaguely to a cabinet across the room. In the cabinet was a half full bottle of whiskey she poured two glasses. “To us,” she said when she returned and handed him his glass.

While he drank, she sang a sweet song about love in the hot afternoon and danced, gazing deeply at him.

When she was done, he had memories of things they had never done. Things he had fantasized about. She had danced for him, but she also told him Silk had been there playing for him. She took him back to his youth when he was virile and handsome. His body didn’t ache and fail him. He remembered his first love. It was a good place for him to be. She left him happy, content, confused, and useless.

In the other room, she carefully wiped everything down even though she had worn gloves, most of the time. She made sure there were some blonde hairs to verify part of his story and left out two new glasses out with remnants of whiskey in them. The two glasses they had used, she took with her. He might remember he was missing two glasses later. She snagged a piece of the dress on a chair to leave some evidence. It was nondescript and would be burned shortly.

With her evidence covered as much as she could, she went back and kissed the captain’s forehead. “Sweet dreams, sir.” Then, she went downstairs and unlocked the door, caught Ronan, and flew away.

(Ok, the sand around the lighthouse was wet, so there will be tracks from the gryphon and manure. Most people use the rowboat to go out to the lighthouse, so there will be few if any other gryphon tracks. Also, Gen’s tracks are there. The bakery box is there with evidence in it. She didn’t realize it, but the captain reached out and grabbed one of the veils from her costume and has it.

If the Watch (Union) goes back out to question him, his memories are muddled. He knows a dancing woman was with him, that’s what he wants to focus on. His true memories can be restored. You can roll on that, though with Orwyn’s luck, I would have someone else roll.

Scoop will be going to visit him. Then she’ll try to visit the Watch.

There’s more evidence, but I will give it to Orwyn ooc.

Silk is going to be captured by the Enforcer shortly. Her fate will depend on the dice roll. If she escapes and the Watch solves the mystery and arrests her, her fate once again will depend on the dice roll. Same with Gen. I would hate to lose Gen, but I played the game. If she’s convicted, so it goes. I don’t god mode.

Also, I normally write main characters first person pov and secondary pov characters close third. I think I caught the lapses, but if I didn’t, I’m sorry. Thoughts are purposely first person. And flipping back and forth into flashbacks is haaard.)

Silk was sparring with one of the men when Gen returned to the compound. The match was pretty even for a while, men do have certain physical advantages over a woman in combat regardless of what some women like to think. However, Silk was fit and a skilled fighter, not to mention, she fought to win and wasn’t above cheating. This time, however, she won fairly by finally flying at him and driving him down. He raised a hand, laughing, “Give.”

She reached down and offered him a hand. “Good fight. Thanks.”

“My pleasure, I think,” and with that, he limped away.

“Ready for a go?” she said to Gen.

“Nope, I have some business to take care of.”

“Good. Wouldn’t admit it to him, but he almost had me a couple of times. That was a close one.” She poured a dipper of water from the water crock by my door over her head and shook her hair like a wet dog, then wiped her face on the towel hanging nearby. "Anything important happening?’

Crooking her finger at Silk to follow, Gen waited to reply until she was in the office. She went to her room and changed clothes, then started the coffee machine. “I went to see Captain Greyson and adjusted his memories a bit. Gave him some new ones to think about.”
Silk poured some coffee and then added a liberal does of brandy to it. “Still think you just should have killed the old man. Teach him to run his mouth so much.”

“Nope,” Gen leaned back in her chair with her coffee. “It’s not his fault I chose the site poorly. I just didn’t think he’d be that observant toward the shore. Really figured as old as he is he’d probably be sleeping, but the old fellow saw most everything. Not killing him for my mistakes.”

“You know it’s very possible they can reverse what you just did.”

“I know. If they do, I’ll just have to deal with it. May have to ship you out of country to protect you.”

“And what about you?” Silk huffed.

“Not leaving until my business is done. The Enforcer goes down as do those fat merchant princes who conspired to bring Gentyl and the Presidium down. I will destroy them.”

Silk leaned forward. “You know she had a lot of enemies. Remember Imperon and Tom’s toes?”

"Yes, she kidnapped one of his men and Imperon took offense it seems. You didn’t mess with him or his people. Imperon and Gentyl had a strange relationship. Not friends, but not true enemies.

“People will learn not to mess with me either.”

“Your call,” Silk replied. “Speaking of which. The Enforcer is in Booty Bay. I’m flying down tomorrow to check him out.”

Gen dropped her chair forward. “What? No, you are not going down there alone, and I can’t leave right now. I need to go with Faithe to meet the Union. Wait until the Maiden makes port and take Jack with you.”

“No, I need to go alone. I can’t flirt with him if Jack is sitting there staring daggers through him.”

The Enforcer was notoriously dangerous and evil. Gen didn’t want her anywhere around him alone. Even being in the same area and just watching was bad enough. He had to know about the killings by now. “No, I don’t want you to go.”

“You’re not the boss of me,” she said and grinned.

“Actually, I am.” Gen pulled an apple and began peeling it in a spiral, then stopped herself and cut it in quarters.

“Well, yes, but I barely take suggestions let alone orders. You know that.”

“Not comfortable with this. If you go down, just watch. Don’t try to do anything.”

The secret to good crime investigation was persistence. Digging deeper and not letting anyone get in the way of a good story and Scoop was convinced that the recent spate of murders were more than some random serial killer. That they were connected, she had no doubt, but how to prove it?

She’d sniffed around Dalaran for three days until the law enforcement there had made it uncomfortable for her. It was time to leave for a while and let them cool off. They really needed to get better with their surveillance. Like she didn’t know every single officer on the force and all of a sudden one of them ate, drank, and bought flowers at the same places she did. Towards the end, she started going odd places just to irk them. Fished for hours on the little island off Dalaran. They followed her down in the sewer to collect blind rats. She bought every distraction she could, mages, imps, spiders, everything. Then she slipped away in the confusion and waited outside for the harried officer to stumble out and waved at him when he emerged. “I’m going home to take a nap now,” she told him. “Want to come watch me sleep?”

He said something very rude.

Off to Stormwind to spy on Stormwind Union for a while and then head off for her appointment with Captain Greyson. He was the goldmine and the key to all this she was sure, but she might pick up something in Stormwind to help with her interview.

She waited until no one was near the door then slipped up there as close as she dared get. A young, harried mother towing two young children along by the hands walked by, but didn’t look up. The little boy did, and Scoop waved at him before she swallowed the lifegiving seed and shimmered into a plant.

“Mama! Mama! That gnome just turned into a plant!”

The woman looked around to where he was pointing. “Don’t be silly. People can’t turn into plants. Not that gnomes are really people, but even they can’t turn into plants. Machines maybe, I don’t know, but not plants.”

“She did! She did! I saw her.”

“That’s it. No more green fizzy juice for you. It makes you see things.”

Scoop tried to wave a leaf at him as his mother dragged him away.

Holy Mechagon. Could there be a more boring group of people? Crimes, murders, pirates, robberies, mayhem, and they were talking about what they had for dinner last night. Next someone would break into the wonders of potty training. Wait, someone was discussing an autopsy. She leaned closer to listen.

Just then a dog came up to her, sniffing around. “Go away,” she whispered angrily. “Shoo. Shoo.”

(Up to the Union if they notice the plant and what they do with it.)

Hanging from Silk’s doorknob the next morning was a necklace with an intricate silver charm mounted in a pale blue stone and a note.

Didn’t want to wake you, but I thought you should have this. It’s an old family heirloom. Supposedly for protection and luck, though D’Amond luck isn’t that great, it’s pretty and I believe it will protect you. Be careful. Return soon. Jack will be in port shortly and you know how he is when you’re gone.

Gen

Smiling broadly, Silk slipped the necklace on and scribbled a quick thank you on the note, and reattached it to her door. Then as an afterthought, she added, “Yes, Mom. I’ll be home before dark.”

A person never really knew what might happen, so Silk didn’t like being afoot or unprepared. She packed lightly and took her fastest gryphon to Booty Bay. She’d rent a room and snoop around a bit, pick up some information, and settle in to wait for the man known as The Enforcer. Absently, she wondered what his real name was. A person should know who they are killing.

Her contact took her to a small eating establishment and pointed a man out. He was medium height, well-built, but not overly muscular, middle-aged, late forties maybe? His black hair was shot with gray at the temples, but the well-trimmed goatee was still raven-wing black. When he glanced her way, her breath caught at the eyes, large, smiling, winter gray set in a classically handsome face. He didn’t notice her; he was just looking toward a friend entering the room behind her and stood to shake hands with him when the man approached his table. He could be any moderately prosperous merchant or minor noble in any city in the land. “Are you sure this is the man I wanted?” she whispered. “He looks like a well-to-do wine merchant.”

The goblin laughed. “Oh, he’s quite a wine connoisseur, but that’s your man. That’s The Enforcer.” He told her where the man would most likely eat dinner later and at what time.

“The man with the gray eyes?”

“Yep. You promised gold to find him.”

She discreetly handed over the reward. “And you promised the right man.”

“I charge extraordinary fees because I always produce. This is your man.”

She sat down quietly at a table not too far from him, but not close enough for him to notice her. The friend pulled out some paperwork and they discussed it over lunch. The meal was punctuated with animated conversation and frequent laughter. Whereas she sat with her back to a wall, he seemed not to notice people around him or care aside from smiling at someone or greeting another. People knew and liked him. The waitress paid particular attention to them. He must tip well.

Silk ordered lunch and watched them surreptitiously. He seemed to have not a care in the world other than those bills of ladings, if that’s what they were and she was sure they were. He left a generous stack of coins on the table and stood to leave, not looking around. This was not a man being hunted or a hunter. Two sailors who had been drinking and talking boisterously left soon after him. Silk waited a bit and then paid out and left also to return to her room. She made a few stops in shops and paid extra to slip out back doors to throw off anyone who might be following her, then, when she was sure no one was about, slipped into her room.

After a restful nap and a soothing rose oil bath, she dressed in a simple, but elegant black gown. It was high-necked, but low-backed and fit her form well. She wore liquid silver earrings and the necklace Gen had given her, plus a few bracelets, nothing ostentatious. Sometimes, less was more. The only thing showy was the cloth of silver sandals that twined up her calf and showed through the slit in the skirt when she walked.

She arrived before The Enforcer was supposed to and sat at a table overlooking the bay. It promised to be a spectacular sunset.

“Pardon me,” a gentle male voice said, “I think you have my table.”

She looked away from the window, startled that she hadn’t heard anyone approach. Dear gods! It was The Enforcer. He could have cut her throat had he been so inclined. She flushed and set her nearly finished wine down. “Oh, oh. I’m sorry. I didn’t know. Let me move.” Then grabbing her purse and wine, stood to leave.

He touched her arm softly and laughed. “Please don’t. Though I often sit here because it has a breathtaking view, it isn’t my table. Are you waiting for someone?”

“No, I’m just visiting for a few days,” She remained standing, unsure what to do.

“Then will you please join me for dinner? It’s an absolute crime against humanity for a beautiful woman to dine alone.” He stood behind her chair to push it back in for her. “What if some blackguard were to accost you or intrude on you?”

Her head turned, uneasy at having someone at her back, but allowed him to seat her. “How do I know you aren’t a blackguard?” she asked raising a brow. “I don’t even know you.”

He rolled his head back and laughed in genuine merriment. “Oh, I am many things, but never a blackguard.” He bowed elegantly. “Badan Harris at your service, M’Lady. Mostly, I am a shipping broker. Who knows, maybe that fine cloth your gown is sewn from was some I shipped. I tend to deal only in finer things.”

“My friends call me Silk. Only the finest, huh?”

“Indeed. Life is too short to waste on the mundane.”

The waitress delivered a bottle of wine for him to inspect. He nodded his approval and then poured her a fresh glass. “Try some of this. It’s some I imported and quite good. I keep several cases in my private reserve.”

“Oh! Your poor hand. What happened?”

He turned over the hand he’d just poured the wine with and blushed, then laughed dropping his head shyly like a young boy. “I have been caught; I fear. I have the most horrible habit of rescuing kittens. One panicked and scratched me.”

“How sweet. A cat lover. Do you have a house full of cats now?”

“No, alas. I travel much, so I can’t keep my stray kittens. I try to find good homes for them. I’m good with my hands and build lots of toys to play with them while I keep them, though. They amuse me so much I even have a special room for them!” He sighed wistfully. “It does get lonely at times. I’ve been thinking I might keep one if I find one I really fancy.”

Silk imagined him dangling a feather from a string on a stick for a kitten as she had done many times herself and smiled. This shy, unassuming man could not possibly be The Enforcer. She was going to find that goblin tomorrow and choke him, then fly back to Boralus.

They enjoyed a quiet, but excellent meal. Laughed often. He was generous with the wine and shared little-known facts and history about the area. All in all, it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

“Have you seen the new fireworks show they do on the island at night now?” he asked brightly after dessert.

Her brow furrowed. “No. I’ve never even heard of it.”

“Come along. You must see it. Then, I think M’Lady should call it a night. You look tired.”

She nodded. Oddly enough, even with the nap, she was strangely tired and looked forward to some sleep.

He led her down to the dock and put his cloak around her shoulders, then put his arm tentatively around her and pointed toward the island.

“When does the show start?” she asked.

“Right about now, darling,” he said and clapped a hand tightly over her mouth.

Sometime the next morning she awoke in a strange room with Harris. Her head pounded. She was lying on a bed in the corner of the room. Her eyes focused on him. He sat on a stool near her, playing with her necklace which sparkled in the barred block of sunlight streaming through the single window.

“Ah, you’re awake,” he said. “Hello, kitten.”

Orwyn was looking pleased when the knock came at his office door. When Lieutenant Sedgegrave entered a moment later, he held up the letter he’d been reading and said triumphantly, “we finally received the funding for a second animal control officer position!”

Sedgegrave nodded and replied, “congratulations sir. We have a problem.”

Orwyn sighed and dropped the letter onto his desk. “I couldn’t even have five minutes to enjoy it. Well, what it is?”

“Officer Mayburn went out this morning to see how Captain Greyson was getting along. Not well, because it appears someone has made a hash of his recent memories, including those of the murder.”

Orwyn frowned darkly and drummed his fingers on his desk. “Someone. How’d they find out he was a witness?”

“The captain’s co-worker. Apparently, he’s been telling stories about how he and the captain saw everything and are heroes.” Sedgegrave shook his head disapprovingly.

Orwyn sighed again. “I continued to be amazed how people consistently put their ego ahead of self-preservation. We’re keeping an eye on him now, I assume.” Sedgegrave nodded. “And where’s the captain?”

“He’s in the medical lab now undergoing some tests. We’re trying to figure out whether it was magic or alchemy that hurt his memory. He doesn’t have any physical injuries. Once we know what caused it, we’ll have some options we can try to treat it.”

“That’s good for him, although it’s going to be bad for the trial no matter what.” Orwyn thought for a moment. “So, the sadistic killers left him physically unharmed. Seems pretty clear that these murders are deeply personal affairs, as we thought.”

Sedgegrave continued, “Mayburn recovered some evidence of his visitor. A dancer, the captain said. I’ll list it all in my report, which I’ll get to work on immediately.”

“A dancer again,” Orwyn replied. “At least they’re consistent.” He looked up at the ceiling and was quiet for a long moment while Sedgegrave waited patiently. Finally, he looked back to his lieutenant and said, “I feel like we’re close here. We’re just missing the connection between the victims.”

Sedgegrave nodded. “This might help.” He handed Orwyn a newspaper article.

Orwyn read it with one eyebrow steadily raising until he reached the end. “Sedgegrave, get in touch with the Dalaran authorities, and find this reporter.”

1 Like

There were advantages to being a plant. Scoop used the quiet time to watch people, plan her next story, listen, think about something that was bothering her, and just relax. The problem with being a plant outside the Stormwind Union office was those people were boring as milk toast and listening to them made her grind her teeth in frustration.

“Did you see the latest picture of my kid?”

Then there were the obligatory oohs and ahs and showing of other pictures of cats, dogs, kids, wives, husbands, significant others, and fishing trips. The only interesting thing discussed was a gnome fishing with dynamite. They didn’t catch her. Gnomes can be pretty fast when they’re motivated. Fishing with explosives seemed like an outstanding idea and typically gnomish. Efficient, constructed, and with some chance of disaster. She’d have to try it.

The downside to being a plant outside the Stormwind Union, aside from dying of boredom, was…the dogs. It wasn’t long until her appointment with the Captain anyway, so she went home to clean up and head his way. Super Scoop was going to break this case wide open.

Freshly showered and in clean clothes, she went to the lighthouse to talk to the Captain with a box of Dalaran sweets and fruit. There were two men fishing on the dock when she rowed out to meet him. He was happy to have company and waved her up.

“Feel like some kind of celebrity,” he said with a wide grin when she topped the stairs.

“How is that, sir?”

“Selena Donner was out here yesterday. Damn fine looking woman. She writes crime books, you know.”

Scoop cocked her head to one side and set the box of treats on the table. “Selena Donner? The author?”

He nodded as he opened the box, grinning at the contents. “You know, I always like those dates they put the almonds in and covered in coconut. My mother used to buy each of us two of those for Winter Veil. It was the best treat in the world.” Leaning forward as if sharing the secret of happiness, he whispered, “When I became a sailor, I used to search those things out and bring them back to her and Daisy the first girl I ever loved. Only girl really, but I might fall in love with that Donner gal.” He sighed wistfully.

“If you give me some good information, I’ll find you some of those dates,” Scoop said.

“Selena told me she’d dance for me if I gave her something good,” he responded. “I gave her some damned good stuff just like I will you for those dates.”

Scoop tapped her pencil on her pad. Should she tell him Selena had died six months ago and that old woman had a face only a mother could love? Was he just confused or had someone scammed him? Did Scoop have someone trying to steal her story?

She had met Selena once when she was just a cub reporter and young reporters and authors had been invited to attend a writer’s conference where Selena was giving workshops as well as other famous authors. In the Q and A session, Selena would snap someone’s head off if they asked a stupid question until many refused to even raise their eyes to look at her for fear of being noticed. Scoop hadn’t backed down. She’d hammered her with questions and refused to take any guff from her. Even then Selena was crotchety and bowed, walked with a limp from too many adventures chasing too many criminals. She was rough as nine miles of stone fence and not a hint of grace about her. Dance? Never.

She’d get to the bottom of this mystery later, but she needed to get his story before this pretender got one out before her.

“Can you start from the top and tell me what you saw?” she asked.

He started repeating his story, but it was wildly different than the one his co-worker had been telling in the bar. Of course, that fellow hadn’t been here at the time, but surely the Captain told him what happened.

She stopped him along to ask questions. “The human woman was taller than the elf?” Elves were unusually tall compared to most humans.

“Yes, tall. A head taller than the elf. They shouldn’t have any trouble finding her. Black hair. Black as the night. Elf had green hair.”

Nothing was matching up, but Scoop kept writing. She might have to write another story from the pov of the co-worker to prove something was amiss.

"Let me check something outside, he said. “Come with me.” She followed him to the balcony, and he glassed the sea to check for ships, then pointed to the beach. “That’s where it happened. Hmm.” His glass swept over the dock. “Normally just one guy down there. This is kind of out of the way.”

Scoop looked down where he was pointing, but the one fisherman had on a large hat and kept his head down so she couldn’t see what he looked like. The other one looked like any man who spent too much time fishing and not enough time at home. In their defense, many of those men had a reason to avoid home, but that had nothing to do with murder. Usually.

“Anyway, let’s go back inside,” he said. “Tea kettle should be hot by now.”

He sang a song about love in the hot afternoon and danced around the kitchen a bit as if he had someone in his arms, then brought in a tray with tea and the accoutrements.

“Didn’t think I’d ever get over Daisy, but I just might. Not that I haven’t had other women friends since her. She died during my first voyage. We were going to be married when I returned. You know,” he said, “there’s always someone for everyone.”

Scoop nodded.

“But Daisy was special and so is Selena. She said she’d come back, you know.”

“That’s wonderful,” Scoop said, trying to get him off this mythical Selena.

“And dance. Light, could that woman dance.” He closed his eyes and swayed to music only he heard. “Like an angel. Here,” he said, “I can tell you don’t believe me, but I kept a veil off that dancing costume she wore.” He went into his bedroom and brought back a gauzy silk veil, smelling it as he did.

Scoop felt the material and then lift it to her nose. It was perfumed as if it had been rinsed in something, but there was something else. She looked at the Captain fondly and then thought of the little black-haired gnome in Dalaran. Maybe it was time to settle down. Then she threw the veil down as if it were a snake. That veil had a very powerful love potion infused in it. She should have recognized it, but it was masked by the perfume.

With some effort, she dragged the rest of the convoluted story out of him, but it was plain his brain had been scrambled. She had to get to the co-worker.

Maybe the story was about what had happened to the Captain and not what he had to say?

Magic and Mayhem? Yes, that was the perfect headline.

(Obviously, this takes place before the SU go out to visit him and collect evidence. My writing brain has been tied up elsewhere. Sorry.)

“Let’s get some water in you.” He slipped the necklace in his vest pocket and leaned over to pour a glass of water from a crystal pitcher sitting on a nightstand next to the bed.

“I’m not thirsty,” she said, though her throat and mouth were dry as cotton. Her tongue stuck to her lips.

“Don’t be petulant, Kitten. Of course, you are. It’s an unfortunate side effect of that sleeping potion I put in your wine. It’s very efficient, but it does tend to leave one with a raging headache and parched for a while. Amelia will bring you some breakfast and something for that headache shortly.” He handed her the water and watched her closely.

Her eyes narrowed, behind the blindfold seething with hatred.

He laughed. “Oh, I can feel that from here. You’re going to be an interesting little wildcat, aren’t you? Now, drink your water like a good girl. If you get dehydrated, the headache will only get worse.”

Fingers flexed, curling into claws. She tensed and shifted in the bed under the covers.

“No, no,” he said. “If you rake my face, it will mar my boyish good looks and we know how the ladies enjoy them,” he ducked his head and blushed beguilingly. “And the sweet innocence, of course.”

“Dear gods,” she gasped. “You turn that on like a light. It’s horrifying.”

He shrugged. “You didn’t think so last night. Now drink your water, darling.”

She reached out with her free hand, the other was manacled to a ring in the headboard. The water was probably drugged also or poisoned, but she was dying of thirst. “You said you weren’t a blackguard,” she said with a bitter laugh when she finished and handed the glass back to him.

“That’s better. You’ll learn. And I am no such thing as a blackguard. They are coarse, common. I’m a gentleman.”

She pulled futilely on the manacle while trying to keep the blanket up over her chest though he had probably already seen everything as she was in an unfamiliar white silk nightgown. He watched, smiling, and sipped from a cup of coffee. “Let me know when you’re finished. I can help make you more comfortable. You’re not going to get out of that cuff. All you’re going to do is mar that lovely skin even though the manacle is lambskin lined.”

Infuriated by his smug assurances, she kept pulling on the restraint, not caring that it was digging into her wrist and hand. Like an animal in a trap, she felt like gnawing her way free until she, at last, sank exhausted into the pillows, panting.

All the while she was fighting, he reclined lazily in his chair, sipping coffee, and watching, an amused smile on his face. “I built this bed, you know,” he said. “I’m very good with my hands. I built the toys in Beacham’s playroom though those were just prototypes for my own playroom. Mine are much nicer. More sophisticated. Do you like the carving in the wood? It’s mahogany with ebony inserts. I like florals on my furniture. It gives it a rich, elegant feel, don’t you agree?”

“Yes,” she replied still breathing heavily, looking up at the ornately carved headboard. Though it was beautifully wrought, discussing woodwork was the last thing on her mind. “What are you going to do with me?”

His laugh was low, amused, brilliant white teeth shone starkly through the black beard. "Ah, now that’s the question, isn’t it? Amelia, my maid, remarked what lovely skin and hair you had when she changed you last night. Like silk, she said. Fitting since your name is Silk, is it not?

“She was overjoyed to learn we’d have another lady guest and changed out the linens. The dear is such a stickler for details. She asked me what perfume you preferred. I hadn’t been that close to you earlier when I first told her we’d be having company, but I thought I detected rose oil, so she got out the rose and musk-scented linens. It’s a favorite of hers. Do you like it?”

“Earlier?” she croaked, thoroughly horrified that he’d been watching her the entire time and she hadn’t noticed.

“Yes, when you were sitting so carefully ensconced with your back to the wall observing me in the pub at lunch. Slipping in and out of those shops was a nice touch, by the way. I came home and described you to Amelia. She was delighted and prepared for you. Do you like the scent?”

It was an exotic, lovely scent, rich, but not overpowering. “It’s lovely,” she responded, distracted, still in shock that he had her under observation the entire time. “I’ve never smelled anything like it before,” she added trying to be polite. “Please thank her for me.”

He smiled, genuinely (she thought) pleased. "Good. Amelia and her mother keep gorgeous flower gardens here and tinker endlessly with their stillroom making scents and sundries. She’ll be delighted to know you enjoyed her blend.

“But to the question about what I’m going to do with you. Normally, I would find a nice home for one of my kittens once I was through playing with them, but you intrigue me. Besides, you’re an insurance policy.”

“Insurance policy?” she repeated, not liking where this conversation was going.

"Yes, I’m quite sure you and your partners, lover, whoever you are teamed up with are the ones who have been killing my former business associates in the most creative ways. I’m retired. I like being retired. If you force me out of retirement, you aren’t going to like it. I may because I’m going to send a message to anyone else who comes looking for me. You and your partners won’t, but I will. And then I assure you, it will make very clear to anyone else who dares to look for me or speak of me to anyone looking for information about me again what will happen to them.

“So, here’s what we’re going to do. I’m sending your gryphon back to wherever it came from with this necklace and a message. I’m sure it’s well-trained to return home once set free. Someone will follow him, so I’ll know where you belong. I’m also sending the goblin back with it, or at least part of him with a message. He was the last one who knew how to contact me. If your partners value your life, they will leave me alone. If they come looking for you, I will return you to them, but they won’t like the way I return you. You, Kitten, will remain as my guest. So, be nice and don’t give me any problems.”

She leaned up against the headboard, blood-drained from her face as she thought of The Enforcer knowing where Gen was. What if he was going to kill everyone associated with her in Boralus? Slowly, as if in a dream, she took in what he had said.

“Why not just kill everyone when you follow the gryphon?” she asked quietly.

“Because there have already been enough killings and we need this sordid mess to die down. You will disappear. If your partners continue to kill people I was previously associated with for whatever reason, that’s on them. They’ll get caught sooner or later. Not many assassins are fortunate enough to retire and I’m not pushing my luck if I don’t have to.”

There was a knock on the door and a command to enter. The men from the pub only they were in different clothes today.

“Sailors,” she whispered.

“Bodyguards actually,” Harris said. “The man discussing business with me was another one of my men. He had been through your room and was reporting to me.”

Her eyes went wide. “How did you know about me?”

He poured more coffee. "Here’s the thing about goblins. They’re notoriously greedy. When I found out someone was asking about The Enforcer, I had a few inquiries made about how much was being paid for information, and then I paid more for him to betray you. He got paid twice and was one very happy goblin. At least for a while. Now, he’s one very dead goblin.’

One of the men set down my bag and leaned down to whisper something to Harris. “That’s everything?” Harris asked.

“Yes, sir. Her room has been cleaned slick as a hound’s tooth. No one has seen her. No one knows anything about her.”

“Excellent.” Harris stood. “So, Kitten, let us begin our new life. I’ll send Amelia in with some breakfast and help you to the bathing room. The adventure begins, eh?” He turned to walk away. “Oh, I’m very fond of Amelia. She’s my housekeeper’s blind daughter and I would be very upset if anyone were mean to her or hurt her. You wouldn’t like me when I’m upset. She’s a lovely girl and I expect you to be on your best behavior with her. Do we understand each other?”

His gray eyes took on an icy glint.

“Yes, sir.”

“Very good.”

Silk was far past overdue when her gryphon landed. Riderless. Gen inspected the saddle. There were no signs of stress or blood. There were, however, two satchels attached to it. One was a small velvet pouch that a person might put jewelry or coins in. The other was a large courier bag with ominous dark stains. Fearing what was in the courier bag, she opened the pouch first. The necklace she’d given Silk.

“Well, it looks like Diarmand luck is still holding,” she said, muttering a curse under her breath.

“Want I should open the bag, Cap’n?” Tharman asked.

She nodded and said a prayer, not that many gods still turned their faces to her.

He untied the bag from the saddle and opened it. “God’s balls!” A goblin head thunked to the ground.

Most of the crew and the rest of her workers were now crowding around. “Anyone recognize him?” Gen asked.

“From Booty Bay,” Haethulf said. “At least I saw him there, Héafodmægð.”

It didn’t take long for word to reach Jack that Silk’s gryphon was back, and he boiled into the stable yard like a rabid dire wolf. “Where is she? What have you done with her?”

“I don’t know where she is. I haven’t done anything with her, and you will lower your voice and stop bellowing at me before I lower it for you,” Gen replied, eyes narrowed.

“You know something,” he said, glowering at her. “You know where she went. I want to know. I’m going after her.”

“There’s a letter in the outside pocket of the bag,” Tharman said and handed it over to her without reading it. Gen wasn’t sure how much of this language he could read and write anyway, but to his credit, he didn’t even look.

She unfolded the letter. It was written in elegant but bold script on expensive vellum stationery. Folded inside was a lock of Silk’s blue-black hair, neatly tied with a red ribbon.

Greetings,

As you may have surmised by now, your friend Silk has decided to remain as my guest.

I’m not sure what business you had with my former associates, and I don’t care. What I do care about is anyone disrupting my happy retirement.

If you attempt to retrieve her or send anyone looking for her or me, I will return her to you. You might be able to recognize her from the pieces, but I’m not sure. I’m very good at what I do as you are no doubt aware.

So, just settle down. Get on with your life and let me get on with mine.

With fondest regards,

T.E.

“What does it say?” Jack said snatching at the letter.

Gen held it back and shook her finger at him. “You. Calm. I’m going to let you read this. Read it aloud, but you better believe you are not going to try and rescue her.”

“The hell I won’t,” he snapped and grabbed the letter.

The crew stood around shuffling awkwardly after he read the letter. Jack’s face had turned a brilliant shade of red and then drained of all color until it looked new milk pale and he wavered on the verge of collapsing.

“Take him to his cottage,” she said. “Someone stay with him.” Once they were out of earshot, she took Haethulf aside. “I have a list of Michell’s ships, their schedules and routes. Pick out two and grab one. Your choice. Get Jack out of here before he does something stupid.”

“Yus, Héafodmægð. It will be done.” He leaned closer and whispered, “What are you to do about the maiden?”

“I’m going to find someone neutral to post some flyers and offer me in exchange for her.”

His eyes went wide. “You cannot do that. The man is a killer.”

She took out her dagger and started peeling an apple, then glanced at him sideways. “Well, so am I. Trust me. I’ll have a long discussion with the man and convince him we are no longer interested in him. He’ll let me go.”

His clenched jaw showed he didn’t believe her, but he argued no more. “You know the men will want to rescue you.”

"That will get me killed. You heard what he said. If I don’t come back, take over the ships. My bankers have instructions about taking care of my people. I’ve left books in the office. Don’t let them cheat you. In the meantime, rumor has it, Michell may be at the Armistice Ball. I would like to lay eyes on him. So, I’m going to attend and mingle.

She’d have to find an appropriate, or maybe inappropriate, dress for the ball, and make arrangements, but she would be there.

With everyone shooed away, she made a cup of tea and propped her boots on the desk, then carved the apple into slices. There had to be a way to get Silk away from that maniac.

“A bit dramatic don’t you think?”

Her chair dropped to the floor with a thud, and she whipped her gaze around. The man chuckled.

“Now, Gen. You know you won’t see me until I want you to. What have you got yourself into now?”

“Landreau!” A wide smile replaced the grim countenance of a moment before. “What are you doing here, you old sneak thief?”

He shimmered into view across the desk from her, grinning at her. “Brother LeMay wanted me to check on you.” He shrugged slightly. “It’s that time of the year and all.”

“Yup, in three days. They say time heals all wounds, but it doesn’t. It eases, but it doesn’t heal. You never get over burying a man you loved with all your heart and your only child.” She inhaled deeply. “It was nice of Brother LeMaye to think of me, but it’s not necessary. I’m fine.”

He fixed himself a cup of coffee and raised a brow. “Really? Doesn’t sound like it. What are you doing?”

“Just paying off some old debts.”

“Want to tell me about it?”

She offered him an apple slice when he sat down. He looked good. He’d be one of those men who aged gracefully to the end. The gray at his temples only made him look better. His hard body was softened slightly by a mild paunch. Bern must be taking good care of him. He’d always been one of her favorite commanders and she was glad he had been chosen to take her place as Brother LeMaye’s shield. “No,” she replied. “You don’t need to be in the middle of this.”

“I can deliver these flyers for you. I’ll send a message to the compound that I’ll be delayed.”

“Not a chance in hell. I don’t want you, and you need to get back now that you’ve checked on me. You know it’s not safe to leave him alone.”

“He’s not alone.”

“You know what I mean. Crap happens.”

He sipped the coffee and studied her. “You should come back and visit him if you get out of this mess you’re in. He’s getting old. He misses you.”

“I miss him too. I’ll come to visit when this is done. Tell him hello for me.”

He nodded and set the cup down. “I have men who can help.”

“I have men. Tell Bern hello for me and the kids.”

That brought a wink. “Yeah, you really do need to come visit. Five now. Sixth on the way.”

She rolled her eyes. “So, he won’t miss you if you’re gone because you’re never around anyway.”

He clutched his chest. “Straight to the heart, you vile vixen.” Walking around the desk, he pulled her up from the chair and wrapped his arms around her. “Be careful. We all miss you.” Then he kissed her on top of the head. “Good luck, girl.”

Gen was leaned back in her chair, feet on the desk, with a small, thin cigar in her hand, blue smoke curling from its end. Faithe slanted an eyebrow. “I didn’t know you smoked.”

“I don’t normally. My husband used to smoke these. I get them out every now and then when I’m thinking.” She carefully put out the end in an ashtray. “The cherry brandy flavor is soothing. How can I help you?”

Faithe sat down in a chair across from her, fidgeting a bit, unsure where to start.

“Would you like some coffee?” Gen asked.

“No, I’ve had enough to float a boat to get up the nerve to come here.”

The chair thunked down. “All right. What is so bad you need to get your guts up to come see me?”

“That reporter was back,” she replied miserably.

“And?” Gen got up to close the door.

“She was asking a lot more questions.”

“Yes, she’s a busy little thing. I sent Jack to keep an eye on Captain Greyson to get him out of my hair more than anything, and he said she was there.”

Faithe nodded. “She told me someone messed with his mind. They suspect drugs though it could be magic. If it’s drugs, you know where that will point.”

“Not necessarily. You aren’t the only one who brews drugs that affect the mind.”

“I suppose, but I’m worried. Commander Orwyn asked me about my formulas, and I told him I carefully inventoried everything, but—”

“But, what?”
“I didn’t tell him about the two bottles I left with you that day,” she replied softly, head hanging.

“Oh,” Gen said brightly and opened a desk drawer, “you mean these bottles?” She handed them back to Faithe who wasn’t sure if she might faint from relief or drop to her knees and beg forgiveness for having doubts when she remembered the missing bottles.

“Thank the gods you still had them!”

“And why wouldn’t I?” Gen asked, seemingly perplexed.

“I was just worried you might have used them for…something.”

“What would I use them for?”

Faithe shrugged slightly. “I don’t know. Gen,” she said quietly, “that gnome was asking a lot of questions about you. Had I ever seen you dancing? Your history. Odd questions.”

“What did you tell her?” Gen asked jaw starting to clench. “My history is really none of anyone’s business.”

“I’ve never seen you dance, and I told her I knew nothing of your history aside from being Gentyl’s cousin. Then she started bringing up my past, parents killed in an orc raid on a caravan, the orc hunter carrying me home and he and his wife adopting me and raising me until I was ten, being kidnapped by that goblin, She’s been digging like a badger about me.” Her hands trembled in her lap. “I can’t go through that again. People talking about that mess with the goblin. I’ve worked to hard to put that all behind me. I’m sure if she’s asking about you, she’ll get into your past also.”

Gen lit her cigar again. “I have nothing to hide. I was in Brother LeMaye’s service for years. Married, one child, widowed.” She waved a dismissive hand. “A very ordinary and boring soldier’s life, but, as I said, it really is none of anyone’s business. I don’t want people bothering Brother LeMaye and upsetting him. I’ll talk to her and make sure she drops that other stuff about you.”

“Yes, ma’am. Well, I thought you should know.” She picked up the vials and walked around the desk to hug her. “I’m sure it will be all right.”

“I know it will, sweet girl.”