I will take up tanking once more!

I see people people upset with the lack of tanks so I shall take up tanking once more. I tanked cata-WoD on blood dk then quit. So, what should I look into to learn m+ paths and what tanks are people wanting?

1 Like

If you’re looking for some starter routes, I’d recommend keystone.guru. You can browse through and try some stuff to see what fits your style.

This is a giant “depends”. Less than 20 and mythic raid, all tanks are pretty balanced. Cracks start to show up in some situations past that. Paladin is a great pug tank (interrupts), but other tanks have strengths in thinks like kiting and control. It really does depend what type of player you are. Support, utility, mitigation, Healy Boi, whatever.

2 Likes

Kyrian prot pala! So fun, and so much control. When you get good at it, it’s a blast.

1 Like

I second kyrian prot paladin. So many shields.

But people are slaves to the Meta. They only see blood death knights in the top runs, and think they must have one in their keys.

All of the tanks are good right now other than Prot Warrior, which is still ok but just lagging noticeably behind the others

For routes get Mythic Dungeon Tools addon, and either play around with it yourself or import routes from a website like RaiderIO (this is easiest they just give you a standard solid route) or keystone guru (most options but can be overwhelming to sort thru)

DK/Monk>Pally>DH>Druid>War

All tanks can do 27+, but community perception is something along the lines of the above. If you plan to tank, you’ll have the easiest time in the above order.

Prot Pally is probably the best for pugging. Handles interrupts and can compensate for a lackluster healer. Can drag a mediocre group across the finish line.

BDK doesn’t need a group. They’re all just there to help the DK do the dungeon in time.

Monk isn’t too far off of BDK, but just enough that it does need a group.

Guardian druid feels like it never takes damage, but also only does damage once every 3 minutes.

DH could use another charge of demon spikes to really feel complete. Just paper-y once you run out of defensives.

Warrior just eats magic damage unfortunately, solid tank still, just not as desirable.

I vote prot paladin. It’s the easiest tank to not have to rely on your team to really do anything to help set up a pull. (Not sure about BDK) but nothing can really compare to snap threat of divine toll into a big SotR and all the kicks you wanted to set up the pull you now did yourself and you hit them all with a big aoe hit in SotR and now the aggro is yours.

A lot of pugs don’t usually realize how hard a good paladin tank can carry a key (up to a certain key level)

Warrior > druid now AFAIK but I haven’t looked at raider.io recently to see.

That level is 21.

I vote BDK. It’s a blast! …unless it’s necrotic week

1 Like

My rankings:

1. Blood DKs → By far the best tank for M+. They’re near-unkillable and can keep themselves alive with little input from the healer.
  2. Monk Tanks → Very tanky with their 4-piece and mobile. Easily a good match for Blood DKs.
  3. Prot Paladins → A lot squishier than the other 2 tanks, but brings a lot of interrupts (the most ingame), good damage, blessings, and can heal the group.
  4. DH Tanks → Best at kiting. Squishy like Paladins. Has cheat deaths. Great on some weeks.
  5. Guardian Druids → Used to be a S-tier like Blood DKs, but got nerfed hard. Kind of middle ground now and not as common as they used to be.
  6. Prot Warriors → Easily the worst M+ tank. Squishy, not fun to heal, and brings no utility or anything special to the group.

There are CL1000* Earmuffs and Flame Retardant suits available at Amazon. You will need them.
*anyone recognise the reference

1 Like

Good luck. I’m leveling a War prot to try tanking but I doubt I’ll get far.