I was trying Wotlk classic for the new promotion mount

It took me 3.5 hours. I probably took two 15-min breaks to attend stuff around the house and I never played original WOTLK (started in Cata), so I spent a little time off in the wrong place trying to get to a quest objective (another 5-10 min lost). People that know this cold could probably finish the DK Intro quest in < 2 hours easily.

As others responding to my concern have said there was no queue time at all on Ashkandi, which is where I was put by default (I didn’t have to pick a server… it went straight to a character creation screen).

How is SL any less of an RPG than Wrath? Both have stories, quests and dungeons.

Not gonna lie, i actually miss DKs having more spells and things and different runes.

One does it better then the other in terms of RPG elements.

Do you want to elaborate?

1 Like

I 100% personally prefer the talents/play style and abilities of classic. I hate melee survival hunter and playing survival in classic with explosive shot and lock n load is too satisfying. Also Wrath added in tons of quality of life, it’s not that bad. I did realize how much retail spoiled me though.

For me, the dialogue boxes CONSTANTLY POPPING UP is one of the biggest killers. I’m old school and I preferred my npc’s silent. I want to just read the quest log and not have your flapping mouth on my screen. The grind element feels less rewarding too, now I’m FORCED to fork out gold or grind my brain out for a legendary and reputation is now mandatory to get stuff you need to even start gear up. At least that’s the case in Shadowlands. When I grinded my brains out in the old days it was usually for something entertaining.

Well that depends on which on you think is the better RPG here.

Me personally, Wrath is the better RPG here, considering it has way more stats to work with, the difficulty isn’t scaled (meaning you start off weak and can become more powerful then your enemies, and be weaker then some of the enemies higher then you, so gear has it’s actual place), the story does help motivate the player to continue playing until the end as well incentivize exploration, as well in 1 special case, give an identity to one of the hero classes that it has, that being the death knights.

1 Like

RPG also applies to the world, it felt more captivating and engaging. I remember the outhouse quest in the Grizzly hills had me rolling. Music + environment was a major plus.

1 Like

Calling WoW an RPG was a laughable statement when Wrath was current. It’s so weird now that people call it the standard when it was the third choice back in the day (being generous) for that sort of game.

It did have more open ended quest routes back when, though.

Well technically, it’s WoW Classic, then it’s WotLK Classic. So WoW Classic is in fact the vanilla version. It’s in the dropdown in the launcher if you’d like to verify.

To people who don’t live on any iteration of “Classic” servers, this is a rather stupid point to make.

Who cares? It’s all Classic either way.

I mean, you could take that logic to mean Battle for Azeroth would be Classic if it was available. Doesn’t cut it. Classic is vanilla. Everything else is “classic” with an asterisks.

If it were available in a Classic format, then sure, it would technically be Classic. Since it isn’t, it isn’t Classic.

To the weird purists who view everything through the lens of either Vanilla-or-not-Vanilla, I guess?

1 Like

I like how DK played more than retaul.

I was never a massive dk fan even back when wrath was literally just released in 08 (or was it 07?) . I do love their armor and mount from the starter quest though. And the quest stuff is enjoyable.

I did level a dk past the starter experience to get the mount but also having a 60 or higher character speeds up getting gold to your lowbies in wrath classic.

Even if you dobt like Classic leveling, the DK scenario is easy. You get a mount quickly. Quests are marked on your zone map. Wowhead can show you the talents you want to mix and match. You level quickly and gain gear and gold quickly. Quest text tells you what to do. Quests are largely groupwd at hubs. The aerial quest marks targets with a giant arrow.

You spend 1-2 hours for a guaranteed mount, and you never have to go back. Throw in addons for unit frames, z-perl, bartender, a HUD, and any other QOL add-ons for UI familiarity and it’s a breeze.

The entire quest chain is exactly like retail! I also LOVE the talent trees, they should have brought them back just like em for DF, and not this class/talent tree hybrid junk!

I had a total blast playing, and i am NO classic fan at all.

The ONLY difference in the quest chain is the event timer, and i got lost in Ogg, because i never, ever played horde back then until Beginning of BFA.

Retail has a LOT of quality of life changes. TBC/Wotlk fights are pretty quick. Over and done in a couple minutes, usually. You have like one job for a few people and everyone else kind of does whatever. Your healers don’t stress TOO much over mana. But if you’re doing low end content with low gear, you pull, sit, pull, sit. It’s obnoxious and most of the gameplay is just trying to regen mana/health in between objectives.

Retail has a lot of intricate mechanics for raids. There are a lot of mechanics that require paying attention to. Most everyone has a handful of things to focus on and multitask on in all types of content. I somewhat like the complexity more, to some degree. It’s more fast paced.

Dabbling in Classic era, TBCC, and coming up Wotlk, I’ve begun to realize that the game became less about the adventure and more about getting to max level to do things with people. Dungeon dailies, grinding out currencies, mounts, hunting rares. The farther from base game we get, the more we seem to care less about the low level content, and that feels problematic to me. There’s no incentive to go back and do anything. You speed through it and then it’s gone.

But yeah, retail feels so much better.

1 Like

Blizzard employee/intern ? Most people prefer the older character models with their personality. They show more in less polygons than the generic new models.

There are some things retail does better like more options. Upright orcs and features but the WOD character models rub me the wrong way. Especially the undead female ones.

1 Like

Objectives are not. Many of the quests are vague as to what to do and where to do it. I spent more time on wowhead than actually playing. Flipping back and forth between retail wowhead, which actually has a search, and wrath classic, which does not.

I appreciate the mount, but I do wish the nostalgic memories of the DK starting zone could have stayed just memories.

My enjoyment while replaying was severely dampened once I had to spend ages fighting ghost in the mines praying for those ghouls, and once more stabbing every man or women in a 5 miles radius with fire pokers.