I want to be a Jedi!

Except we’ve gone over this. The troopers aren’t bad shots. They were deliberately missing because Tarkin wanted the Falcon to make it back to the rebel base.

Kill a lousy farmboy and his smuggler friend? Or bring down the entire Rebel Alliance? Tarkin knew what he was doing, so the storm troopers were shooting to make it look real.

1 Like

:+1:

The first half of the original Star Wars goes through hoops to make it clear the Stormtroopers are legit. They take out the Rebels during the boarding. They massacre Luke’s family. Obi-wan comments about how precise their blaster bolts are. The House of Mouse may treat Stormtroopers like a meme and joke about how their weapons can’t hit anything but I don’t think that was ever George Lucas’s intention.

Canon refers to a set of related stories, generally determined by compatibility. A cannon is a weapon that shoots metal balls.

Canon is an important idea for determining the consistency and meaningfulness of stories. A story doesn’t have to be literally true to have narrative meaning.

Go play SWTOR.

I don’t even mean that as a joke. If you want to be a Jedi, go play SWTOR. It’s got cool class stories.

3 Likes

Sith? Honest!?! The fel Star Wars media you taking in? The sith will lie to your face if it gets you to do their bidding and kill you at a moments notice cause they feel like it. If we’re going off prequel era jedi then that was kind of the point, to show how far they had fallen from their purpose, where as old and high republic jedi were far less dogmatic and single minded (Anakin would have never fallen if he was around durning those eras I can tell you that much), but the sith were ALWAYS horrible and would do anything to achieve their own goals and ambitions.

More on topic, yea no not to keen on playing a jedi in WoW, I have SWTOR for that.

You’ve played SWTOR. Have you tried playing light side Sith yet? Particularly the Inquisitor.

Light side sith in Star Wars the Old Republic are supposed to be the exception, and you’ll note that no other sith around them acts like they do. In fact they’re often questioned on it why they are more ruthless and bloodthirsty, So while you can be light side sit in the game it’s very much frowned upon within the Sith Empire.

Point is, Star Wars is full of nonsense, especially the prequels made by Lucas. By these standards, Kenobi was pretty good.

The difference is that while Lucas isn’t a good scriptwriter or director, he understands mythology in a very deep way. It’s easier to overlook the prequels’ faults because they’re at least consistent and meaningful.

Disney has treated Star Wars as little more than a marketable product, and introduced many logical and thematic inconsistencies into the central pillar of their new canon.

1 Like

It always has been. They sell toys. They made a whole show about the Clone Wars for kids. As for the inconsistences, probably, sure. It’s still fun to watch, Reva vs Vader, Vader vs Kenobi, these things were great.

I’m not denying that it’s a marketable product. I’m saying that it’s also much more than that.

Sincere fantasy is marketable, but it is fantasy first and foremost.

A mage.

You wanna talk inconsistencies in Star Wars? Look no further then legends content ranging from just before episode one to post episode six, where everyone wanted to write for Luke and his pals and every background character from the movies was either a rebel soldier or imperial spy or something! (Fel they LITERALLY put terminators and the imperium of man in those stories!)

Ya ask my Star Wars is has a brighter future now then it ever had before, especially when you consider how some fans decided to act (you think the fandom menace is a new thing? It’s not, it just switched targets can got a whole lot more bigoted)

The great thing about Legends is that you easily ignore the bad parts. I was on board with Disney’s clean slate at first, but then they decided to establish a message of cynicism right in the middle of their new canon.

1 Like

Trust me, if you wanted to be a “true” Star Wars fan, you could not ignore any bit of legends . . . fel just look at the legends pages for Luke or Han or another OG trilogy character on wookieepedia . . . yeeeeeeeeesh.

Also maybe I’m watching this stuff wrong cause I ain’t seeing the cynicism here, just some awesome content of good vs evil with a dash a grey mixed in (but not to much)

That’s part of the problem, all the good, evil and gray is slapdash and lacking nuance.

In the pursuit of subverting expectations, Johnson neglected that people had expectations because they expect a meaningful story. Instead, TLJ was built entirely around shallow instances of subversion and deconstruction at the expense of the setting’s consistency, and then failed to convey a significant message. It was a statement against the notion of meaning itself, and it ultimately meant that the story is nothing more than a product the viewers were going to consume anyway.
Meanwhile KotOR2 already set the standard as a postmodern deconstruction of Star Wars, and its ideas came together in a synthesis that is still fundamentally Star Wars.

At the risk of over-simplifying it for the sake of forum discussion from my phone, Lucas’ trilogies demonstrated the flaws in the Jedi’s simplistic views of good and evil when Luke helped to turn Vader against the emperor, demonstrating that there is always good and evil within every person. KotOR2 took the concept further by showing how one must learn to incorporate their own dark side in order to find balance.
Then TLJ comes along and also tries demonstrate that the Jedi and Sith are failed ideologies because the Force is something much greater… and then reverts right back to extremely basic good and evil.

1 Like

. . . you realize this is not new right? The prequels and the OT were very much the same. The sith were never the good guys, and the jedi were always meant to be the good guys (even if they kinda lost their way). Ya want a more morally complex sci-fi fantasy warhammer 40k is thataway.

If it were really so simple, Luke could have just valiantly killed Vader in battle. Good beating evil.

Instead he recognized the darkness within himself and was in-turn reminded of the good he saw within his father, and refused to fight.

Notice they didn’t try to get the emperor to see the light though, redemption DOES happen in Star Wars, doubt the rest of the galaxy would have embraced Vader if he had survived either let me tell ya . . .

Star Wars has NEVER been a beacon of moral complexity, fel if anything Disney have done more to shine some light reasonably on “the other side” then legends (most good imps usually wound up defecting to the rebellion or dying in legends . . . usually the latter). And they are certainly gonna be diving more into that with Andor, but we’ll have to wait on that one.

I think it’s much more nuanced than people give it credit for. The initial premise of good guys and bad guys may seem simplistic, but the moments it subverts that theme are subtle and significant. The kind of thing Jungians could study for ages.

I would argue that Disney has tried to play into the simplistic, reified social movements of the past decade, where young people want to see themselves as the heroes fighting evil without understanding how to identify evil within themselves. Rather than the line between good and evil crossing every person’s heart, every attempt at nuance ends up feeding right back into the simplistic premise of good guys and bad guys.