I think I enjoyed leveling more before pre patch changes

I’m not sure exactly what the problem is. Maybe it’s being forced out into world instead of being able to queue consistently into dungeons as a dps because of the arbitrary expansion limitation imposed on LFG in chromie time and the infuriating 15 minute wait period just to get around it (which I hit, or nearly hit, way too often now).

Maybe it’s the fact that important abilities to my spec are withheld until lvl 30 or higher.

Maybe it’s that many of the zones are… really bad without flying, so I don’t really feel like I have that many new doors opened up to me.

Maybe it’s a combination of all these things.

But I’ve tried a few different characters after the sad revelation that the 2H frost spec I was overjoyed to be getting back is utter $#!* and, honestly, all of them feel like I’m dragging my heels from one level to the next. Especially after 30.

Things need to die faster, I need to level up faster. I need to go back to feeling more overpowered. And quick queue dungeon leveling needs to be brought back. Remove the xpac-specific limitation and let players just go from insta-queue to insta-queue. Get rid of the two slow ranks of mount speeds and either give 100% ground at 10 and 310% flying at 20. Or just do 150% flying at 10 and 310% flying at 20. Restoring the option to just level via Draenor Treasures would be very welcome as well.

I genuinely expected the leveling changes to be a solid gust of wind in the sails of altoholics like me. But I find myself enjoying absolutely every aspect of alt leveling a whole lot less than I was in 8.3, which really surprised me because on paper it all looked great.

Well, there it is. I tried to include some proactive input for how to make it better but honestly, at this point, I am just hoping I don’t have my expectations for the coming expansion as tragically subverted as my eagerness for the prepatch changes ultimately were.

1 Like

Man here I am having a blast with the new leveling. :frowning:

8 Likes

I just don’t know if I am doing something wrong or what.

I always leveled in dungeons before and now I can’t really do that as a DPS, so I’m a bit frustrated with being pushed out into questing when, if not for the arbitrary expansion dungeon set limitation in chromie time, I’d have faster queues than ever under this new system

Honestly not including the dungeons, I’m really happy with the new leveling system.

I’m actually paying attention and enjoying the stories as I stay in the zones for more than 10 levels lol

the levels on my warlock have flew by so fast as I’m trying to unlock Kul Tirans that I turned off warmode because it felt too fast haha

Leveling will never be enjoyable. The faster we can get to max the better

1 Like

I’ve leveled quite a few characters since the prepatch has launched, so all I can really say to this is…wut?

Leveling is blazing fast right now. I’d agree with the option of completely opening up random lfg through all xpacs, but that would also completely brutalize anyone that wants to select a specific dungeon, weather that’s worth worrying about or not.

However, about the mount things, 1-10 can be done in about a half an hour. Boom, first mount. 10-20 can be done in about an hour and a half. Boom, fast ground mount. 20-30 is about the same as 10-20 considering you run around so much faster, and 30-40 is the same considering you can fly. 40-50 is the slow part, and you can still get that done in just a few hours. You can literally get 1-50 done on multiple characters in a day if you wanted to. If they reduced it any further than that, they might as well just remove the leveling experience altogether and let you create a fresh character with mythic raiding ilvl items ready for you in the mailbox.

Edit: After reading the responses that followed while I was writing mine, perhaps they could have an option where you can queue for anything that is separate from those who only want to queue for a specific expansion? Me personally, I don’t want things to be completely opened up, if I queue up and get dropped into an occulus I might just /wrists

I didn’t hate it before. I have tons of alts. Maybe I just need a new list of most efficient zones to tunnel vision through to make it more efficient.

I hated TBC without a flyer, that was a mistake. I went to Hillsbrad at the recommendation of someone in chat, that wasn’t too bad, but now there’s group quests that I can’t solo even in blood spec and that feels bad. I can just skip em yea, but still.

I’m just not used to bothering with questing to level alts and I guess I just don’t have the relevant information to yet to properly min max with the new system.

Any recommended zones anyone can throw my way other than Hillsbrad for Horde?

Hillsbrad is a good one for horde, just skip the one with the giant yeti if you can’t kill it. Silverpine is another good one. My personal favorites for horde are those two, then both the plaguelands zones plus Stonetalon.

If you’re looking for the fastest, most people are saying that WoD zones are the fastest until 30, then do the old vanilla zones using the cata timewalking.

Silverpine, Plaguelands and Stonetalon. Alright, thanks.

Honestly, most of the quests in that area are good ones to skip if you come at the wrong time of day. The respawn rate on the stags is terrible and the fawns have an uncanny knack for getting killed by the patrolling cats just before you get in range of them with your wand.

edit to be useful: I always used to go through Hillsbrad, then move to WP/EP until I got bored. Not sure if that’s the most efficient possible option but I know the quests well enough that I could get them done fast.

I usually skip that one too for time sake. It’s not required to finish the story of the zone either. Good call though, I’d almost forgotten about it.

Haven’t played the pre-patch, however I don’t need to know that I hate the leveling changes. I preferred the days before scaling.

I enjoyed leveling more before level scaling, back when there was a feeling of progression with getting each level.

Literally my only complaints about the current leveling is that:

1. You can’t queue for all the dungeons. Quite frankly, I don’t care what dungeon I get, so long as it gives me XP.

2. Having to XP lock yourself at 49 if you don’t want to get kicked out of Chromie time. Why isn’t it just capped at 50?

Except for the times where you’d go 10+ levels and get nothing but stats and maybe a passive.

Old leveling was garbage with how rewards were staggered.

1 Like

and I enjoyed leveling more before Legion scaling but here we are

I got tired of doing Vanilla to 60, figure out which I hate more TBC or Wotlk, and always picked Cataclysm over Panda Land. Now I can go where ever I want, when I want, without being restricted by level. I can pick a Chromie Time, but I’m not locked into those zones as almost everywhere in the game scales from 10 to 49.

I picked Legion did Val’sharah and Azsuna, jumped into Drustvar afterwards, did a little bit of WoD opening, continued on in Stormsong Valley and Stormheim, before coming back to WoD Shadowmoon Valley. I wasn’t forced into anywhere I didn’t want to be, if I didn’t feel like finishing up in a specific zone or expansion I can move freely to another without any loss or restrictions except Cataclysm zones at level 30.

They made it faster but they nerfed all the tricks we used to have to make it even faster. And took away the ability to feel powerful, You could use gear to feel strong now you can’t (unless your exploiting items that havent been nerfed yet). Is what it is.