I need some help keepin Monks alive

I’m well aware that the opinion of Brewmaster is it’s either the apex of tankery, or lol delete this spec.

That out of the way, I’ve been doing a lot of leveling through healing dungeons. Warriors/Paladins/Druids have all been easy mode, to the point I can focus on the brain dead DPS pulling for the tanks to keep them alive. But almost every time I get a monk tank, they just immediately bottom out after a few seconds of combat and crater if I’m not babysitting them 100% of the time.

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this? And is there anything I need to watch out for? Should I change from Disc to Holy when dealing with Monk tanks. I don’t want to blame them, especially if it’s my fault. I’m aware they stagger damage, they need to keep stoneskin up, and tiger palm to reset/lower the CD. But I’m pretty sure there’s more I need to keep an eye out for, because I don’t think they should be taking nearly the amount of damage they take.

(Typo fix)

Try going holy for a bit and see if things are consistently better when healing a monk. Stagger should smooth their damage intake and synergize with raw healing more than mitigative healing in theory but in practice many Brewmasters are bad at managing their stagger in which case they’re just a gimpy tank.

1 Like

I’ll give that a shot. I feel really bad about it and I don’t want to be the healer that silently drops party every time I see a Brewmaster is the tank. Everyone is trying to have their own fun after all.

How high of a key and how geared are they? Are they kiting enough?

Mostly it just sounds like the monk is doing something wrong, cause really brew should be the easiest to tank.
However I will say this brew doesn’t need to be at 100% health at all times if they are above 70% they are fine.

Well, I’m level 61, if that tells you anything. No, I’m flattered you think I’m in mythics already. I’ll be there soonish, just have to finish the leveling journey. Right now I’m participating in content with monks about my level. So I assume they’re learning their class as much as I’m learning mine.

Oooooooooooooooooo. Yeah, that’s because at low lvls monk doesn’t have all the tools brew needs and is incredibly crappy until about lvl 70ish. Basically an aggro paper shield lol.

4 Likes

Well, at least there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. 10ish more levels to go… Ha. Thanks. I’m gonna give holy a shot like Artemner suggested. Gotta keep em on their feet.

1 Like

My experience as recently lvling a gnome priest holy was way easier, but more boring.

1 Like

Hope my advice helps but I definitely agree that level range is the most likely culprit. When I was leveling as a Brewmaster I felt like I was made of paper and healers were rarely stoked with me. It gets /much/ better later on.

1 Like

I really like how Discipline plays, but if I gotta take the hit to be effective, then so be it. It’s not like it’s going to take a tithe from my pocket to switch specs like in the old days.

1 Like

Disc is actually very powerful. You just have to be intimately familiar with the dungeon and when dmg is coming, also penance great single target heal

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback. I’ll keep an eye on this forum for further suggestions. Can’t wait to take another crack at it tomorrow and see if I can’t get some breakthrough experiences. I really appreciate the encouragement.

1 Like

Until a brewmaster gets mastery they are gimped.

1 Like

bm is really terrible in leveling dungeons. I tried and i just could not survive on any pull, i dont think its the healers fault

1 Like

I play a healer alt sometimes, and whenever I get a monk tank, they’re doing it wrong. They keep Ironskin up maybe 40% of the time, rather than 100%.

It’s like they don’t realize the duration stacks to 20 seconds if you just keep hitting Ironskin

1 Like

Brew doesnt get mastery till 78 and it’s just terrible before that

2 Likes

Hey man - I just finished maxing this char last week and I did purely dungeons… I can tell you that it also sucks for us until at least 78 where we get Mastery. Compared to Pally, warrior etc we don’t get all of our main mitigation tools until early 80.

1 Like

Alrighty, I’ve hit around level 105. Can’t remember which. Monks have gotten easier to heal. But I’m still finding a frightening amount of Monks that have trouble taking a hit and just melt. I think they’re not utilizing their resources, but I am still a learning healer. I need to figure out these mouse over heal commands I think to make things easier. Just wanted to give folks an update.

1 Like

Brew does take some getting use to, they might be over purifying