I missed PVP templates?

i honestly rather you had too get pvp gear instead of pve gear…

6 Likes

I don’t miss templates, I miss PvP gear actually mattering in PvP.

9 Likes

Templates were good, they were just never tuned right. Rn we have the biggest perpetrator of wtf PVE items in arena since the age of legendaries and vial of shadows. Blizzard turned off PVE trinks in the tournament. If they knew it’s detrimental and frustrating to go through 20 void stones, why is it allowed on live? PVP should be about skill, not who has better gear. Double edit: not only that, but the super broken things are gear that aren’t even designed for their specs in the first place. People wearing prisms, voidstones etc. casters wearing agi trinks as BiS.

3 Likes

I suggest trying Guild Wars 2 and its PvP. Gear has no bearing at all. In their “battlegrounds” anyway. WvW it matters.

2 Likes

I miss it too and artifact weapons O.o
No need to enchant your weapons. Can just que up into bgs without feeling like dead weight on your team without good gear

1 Like

I totally agree. The PvP gearing in BfA is horrible. It’s more productive to just grind WQs unless you are 2100 rated. Really not worth the time.

Bring back PvP Power and PvP Resilience. Bring back differentiation of gear. Currently everything is identical regardless of content obtained from, that’s just silly in my opinion.

8 Likes

I miss the system that existed for about 10 years prior to Legion

Gear mattered but the devs made an EXTREMELY accessible honor/conquest gear system that was available to all players to normalize the gear gap.

The problem with the change in BfA wasn’t a lack of templates, it was a lack of viable competitive gearing methods from pvp vs pve.

PvE is the default gearing choice for pvp in BfA. There is literally no chance of getting ‘fair matches’ in BfA for 90% or more of the players. Raiders dominate the gearing.

The old devs recognized this issue, and recognized that it felt REALLY crappy for pvp players. PvP players also didn’t want to feel forced to pve for pvp gear (many of them find raiding and repetitive dungeons boring as hell). So the original founding devs made best-in-slot pvp gear available from pvp through vendors for everyone. Just had to pvp and you still acquired currency to buy the gear from losses.

It was the height of pvp participation. Legion tanked pvp participation to new lows. BfA came back slightly but not even remotely close to xpacs prior to Legion. I’m talking Legion dropped 75% of the pvp playerbase.

I mean c’mon, who made this crappy pvp system where you are forced to take 10 weeks of 385 gear before getting your first 400 gear? Who made a system where many many of the weeks are worthless to you? Who made a system where WQ’s give better gear in 5 minutes? It’s just a really bad feeling system made by devs that obviously don’t care.

6 Likes

They just need to fix crucible of storms drops, I saw someone with those special pieces have 20% of their dps from just those.

guild wars was kinda fun but the wonky action bar flipping system is just lame and the lack of ‘roles’ made it so many classes are nigh unkillable by certain others

1 Like

This is true. I cant argue there.

I prefer gear not mattering. I think thats why Im gravitating towards Overwatch with pvp and other games where the combat is more the focus then gear+ cc trains.

3 Likes

so get good gear?

Yup and it was complete trash. It could have probably been fixed and done proper, but they decided to just get rid of it all entirely.

The issue was, templates forced every class & spec to play EXACTLY the same. I mean take for example warlocks. Some people like to play affliction warlocks as mastery so their dots hit really hard and some like to play as haste builds so dots hit faster & their cast timers are faster (fear)

Templates eliminated any kind of choice and forced everyone to play exactly the same. That was the problem. Basically if you wanted to do highest damage you’d play a MM hunter and literally press 2 buttons because that’s just how it worked.

1 Like

I don’t miss templates. My spec was stuck with a busted template and that meant anyone that played it was at its complete mercy with no way of altering it. I’m glad templates are gone. Now the next step is getting the vendor back.

3 Likes

Yeah, special mention for these PvE pieces that are an abomination in PvP. (which wouldn’t occur if PvP power/resil was strong enough to deter)

Like the arena meta is just grab as many items give you ridiculous shields and be unable to be killed.
The polearm from CoS is just absurd if you are a pally/warrior/ferald druid/surv hunter.

Just keep proccing shields for half your health and then have a tank trinket that procs if you somehow manage to drop too low still.

In legion I had all classes able to pvp without a gear grind. And Ilvl barely effected performance until the end of the expansion. I would had preferred no power upgrades.

But it was good for having alts and multiple specs.

1 Like

There needed to be a line. 2.4k player with bis pvp gear at that time should have a massive advantage over a fresh dinged alt. Templates took player progression away from players. Seeing this is a mmo… gear matters.

1 Like

The beginning I think it was capped at 20% more power based on ilvl differences. By the last patch I believe it was 50% i would have preferred 0% differences but it seems many people like having gear in pvp which is why they changed it to this. Im not sure howvthe scaling works now though and how it averages out. And if your bag ilvl affrcts scaling.

It was so much better to not worry about the gear and focus on the fighting.

2 Likes

But swinging it back in this direction where PvE gear is the only thing that matters and there isn’t any progression for PvP gear at all is stupid.

Disable all PvE procs/trinkets in PvP and add vendors that give PvP’s BiS.

Or add templates and allow customization of secondaries.

Either works.

3 Likes

I would like a template bg que with customizable stats and trinket effects please.

2 Likes