I miss the 4 totem thing shamans used to do

Why do they take them away and then give it back and then take them away again

2 Likes

I still support my allies with my totems. But those old buff totems had no business being constantly reapplied and was a clear weakness for shamans to have killable buffs. Especially before they fixed them so adds didn’t attack them or they somehow kept you in combat.

Shamans today still use there totems for utility and healing. But having to constantly reapply something that should be baseline aura buffs is a bit annoying. Which is how I feel with the wind totem we use right now. Which I am happy they took out the fire totem. But I think they could work all that functionality in one totem. Like windfury totem could have easily flung air bolts at people instead and some attack combos signal magma storm totem, or for the wind totem a tornado aoe ability.

I rather like having more power on my own character though. Especially for underwater fights/flying fights which past expansions had that made totems useless in some instances with pathing.

5 Likes

I do miss the ol’quad drop or making the god totem. But I also don’t miss forgetting to replace them every 10 yards or having a patrol come across them.

5 Likes

This is really what ruined other specs too, people who weren’t going to enjoy it asking for it to be made into something else so they could enjoy it. Shamans as a whole lost their identity with totems, at the risk of starting another war, SV Hunter being made melee because some wanted a melee hunter, and even the Dev team admitted it was going to be a niche spec. People need to realize, if you don’t like it, don’t play it, rather than getting it changed so you like it.

3 Likes

Being able to melee as a hunter was something all hunters did. But hunters were changed to have no melee ability. So it was fair for players to ask for that back.

5 Likes

I prefer using totems for bigger events. Like I like the utility totems, healing totems. Or if your kit interacted with the totems.

Personally I would love to see a Volcano totem, Tornado/cyclone/water cyclone/fire cyclone totem. Didn’t really like the just buff totems, when you have classes that can just click a buff and last for an hour. Wasting gcds to keep those up wasn’t fun.

1 Like

They may not have done much, but I always popped them during fights. I think it really added character to playing my favorite class.

4 Likes

As someone who plays warrior and a shammy, I have to disagree.
The totems had like a 30 yard range or something. Not like you had drop it fresh every time you took a step…

1 Like

Blizzard has done a fantastic job a keeping the identities of some classes/spec an destroying others. Shaman is one I think they’ve made worse identity wise

1 Like

In pvp yes you did especially for random bgs. And fights which required tons of movement/kiting.

2 Likes

I collect very much with my shaman as an elemental warrior, casting elemental magics, summoning elementals, and imbueing elements into my weapon. Totems aren’t what I connected with shamanism, just a tool for how some spells are handled. Destroyable buffs aren’t really fun to deal with either.

3 Likes

That person feels the need to post in literally every thread for some reason. The yellow text has gotten to them.

3 Likes

What does an orange poster have to do with it being an opinion? Or is this just another “they have different color text so I must hate them”?

4 Likes

Because they hate us.

1 Like

It’s one of those things that don’t feel as viable the way the game is nowadays.

Doing a M+ running having to make your totems chase you along while all you’re trying to do is chase the tank and chain lightning? But the group keeps pushing ahead and you have to keep totemic recalling to position your totems because without those totems you’re just throwing.

Totems as they were worked for that era and style of content. They could still work in raids but they could never be what they were because the pacing is so different to what it was.

1 Like

I liked totems too. It was one of those things that set the class apart from others, along with the extensive list of auras that paladins once had. Very flavorful.

It goes along with a larger theme of classes becoming more samey over time, likely due to increased focus on optimization from players. Buttons that don’t make BEEG NUMBAR in meters, logs, etc get removed because they come to be seen as a nuisance.

Nothing a little creativity couldn’t fix. Add a glyph that makes totems float and follow the caster, functionally turning them into auras. Boom.

1 Like

I just hate that they made it so we can’t dual wield.

1 Like

I wish they would bring back the static totems that meant something to the party.

1 Like

I miss the quests shamans had to go on to unlock new totems. Just made it feel like you earned them. Same goes for the warlock quests for their demons

2 Likes

ya lol the totem mech was a major annoyiance most of the time.