I miss Archaeology Profession when it comes to lore

I think they are just doubling down on the idea that whatever the lore of the Shadowlands is it’s tied heavily to the concept that the origin of this universe is far too complex for us to understand it as mere mortals. While this does work well with RP type situations - our PC’s probably have a very limited view of the cosmos.

But I feel like this method and reasoning is ignoring the fact that the player is outside of the game and we have more insight into the cosmos so it feels like shutting us out of knowing more than our character.

As someone who has studied metaphysics, it just seems laughable like they are saying “this concept is too abstract for you to comprehend.” um…try me.

1 Like

I agree that archeology would have been an excellent way to learn about the lore of the Shadowlands and covenants, especially if they put in the effort they did with Legion that each zone had a couple archeology quests that rotated.

5 Likes

They might well be telling themselves that’s in play, but I don’t really feel like they themselves have it thought out very far.

Blizzard themselves had a very distinct development process in the past, and WFH I think just froze it. So stuff they would have looked at with their old process just slipped by without enough thought.

Separately they do like ambiguity in their stories, which, as I’ve said before, is a way to get stories out faster and leave room for playing with them later.

And I think, as a group, they are trying to really obfuscate their main story arc right now. My feeling is they want a surprise and felt what they were doing would be more suspenseful. But with story errors, and timelines slipping, due to WFH and DFEH they’re hurting to land their tale.

(I should also note: It has occurred to me that Sylvanas was delayed to retcon past extremes. Clean up past character mistakes.)

1 Like