I just watched the entire Mulan Trailer

Yeah for sure! It’s definitely tricky… I think I’m a little bit harsher because they removed the songs and the “silly” elements and want it to be a serious take. People normally watching a more fantastical world would overlook the style of her house, it’s not suppose to be grounded in our world, but it’s suppose to be taken as historical now.

From what I’ve seen I don’t think it’s a good balance of fantasy and reality… I actually can’t think of any fantasy elements! One depends on whether or not she was actually real person and the second is the floaty/exaggerated martial arts which… is that a fantasy? Probably I’m not a kung fu flick fan.

1 Like

Yea based on the trailer it is a more serious take. But I am sure, and hope, there will be a decent numbers of humorous scenes as well. :slight_smile:

edit: Hua Mulan is a real historical person. As for the kung fu I am sure they will exaggerate it a bit like any action in films to make it flashy and impressive :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very good post. Even TV shows nowadays seems to push certain views that are not necessarily needed in their show’s narrative just so they can say they are “inclusive” and “diverse”. I find myself fast forwarding through a lot of these useless scenes

2 Likes

Funny enough, so many of these shows feel that it must be forced into the narrative, instead of letting the narrative and characters let the show push forward in an engaging manner.

Good example of certain “aspects” done right that fit character growth and story narrative. Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Good example of certain “aspects” done utterly wrong just for the sake of “diversity / inclusion.” CW’s Batwoman.

4 Likes

Gotta problem with king arthas and his words?

1 Like

Watch the anime version from the 70s, much closer to the original story and a better overall movie.

Haha you are more direct. I avoided setting specific examples to avoid potential flame wars. But you are spot on with batwoman. I watch the show and for me is decent. But I do skip a lot of those “scene” that really isnt important to the story and obviously just inserted there to appeal to certain political views :rofl:

3 Likes

So true. Ironically, the character already was created to fit in to that mold in the comics, but was so much more powerful, iconic and ruthless. Now, just seems so watered down. Even that it is still stretching it. I have nothing against the cast, the cast does actually fit their roles, especially Lucius Fox Jr. (Gaius Charles … mmm.) I blame their writers.

Instead of writing a story (even if a bad one) they seek buzz trends and social media cliches garbbled together and call it an episode. I think this is why Kevin Smith has actively been staying away from it - can’t salvage anything from it really (Hell, Blizzard’s recent lore is more compelling imho). As well, if he did help them out, it would be such a huge flip in writing and style were you actually get a great comic show instead of what is already on air.

1 Like

Avoid it like the Plague. That’s what I do to every single Disney Live Action Mess that Disney is doing now in days.

I had no idea there was an anime version, let alone from the ‘70s.

/runs to IMDB…

All of them. The answer is all of them.

1 Like

You haven’t watched a single episode of Batwoman if you think that. And Kevin Smith hasn’t been “staying away” from it. He’s been doing a tour for Jay & Silent Bob’s Reboot.

Well, at least one person read more than just the title before replying.

1 Like

Any show that pushes a narrative that is absolute cringe, like Batwoman’s political trash fire, or the sequel trilogy of star wars is not worth watching. The 2nd episode of the sequel trilogy is the biggest offender of a poorly written mess, with choreography being trash. If you need to know, Shadiversity actually did an autopsy of the entire throne room scene…

Shad is informative about fight scenes, and weapons… And fantasy in general. Honestly, the more politics of a certain kind is forced into the narrative, the more it suffers as the immersion suffers.

Watch the video, and you’ll see what was sacrificed for a political narrative. Get the politics out of entertainment, or we’ll see it suffer further.

1 Like

Just the trailer?

Last time I did DS I watched the entire LoR series.

When there’s more RP than bossfight… yeah, we need a skip button.

1 Like

Interesting you say that. Cause while he was filming Reboot, he was helping with Crisis on infinite earths. Oh, now I understand, you think it takes a week to makethe next week episode… Yes, I did watch, but it is a waterwashed cliched trope of what the original version is. I mean, if your gonna claim it is infallible, by all means provide how it is more than the comic.

This has always been a case dude, just about everything is political. The people that always complain(you) just happen to disagree with the politics. Anytime it’s the opposite you have no issue with the blatant politics being shoved.

If you honestly believe we complain about politics, you are wrong by far, the issue with this garbage movies are their absurdly bad writing and laziness

And they try way to hard to get that political view in place but they constantly ended in failure

1 Like

That’s just like, your opinion man. I consider all star wars movies garbage and boring. See how that works?

You cant really compare the first trilogy or the prequel trilogy to this insult that has been the last 2 movies and the upcoming one