I just noticed something obvious

The High Elf Species has been split into two extreme opposites. Light corrupted Elves, and Void Corrupted Elves.

I wonder if this will have relevance in the future Light and Void themed expansions.

2 Likes

Couple things here.

The Void Elves are not High Elves, at least not originally. They were Blood Elves exiled from Quel’thelas. While true that some Quel’dorei might have become Ren’dorei, that’s not how they started.

On the flipside, the Blood Elves are not “Light corrupted.” If anything, they were Fel corrupted to suit an addiction to magic, and the light from the Sunwell has aided to a degree in breaking the addiction. While some of said Blood Elves have visually broken their ties to the Fel in favor of the Light, that hardly makes them “corrupted” in the way of a Lightbound or… I dunno, an Ash Ghoul?

Lastly, while Ren’dorei hinge largely on the Void, that does not automatically make the inverse true for the Sin’dorei. When I think of Blood Elves, I do not automatically think “Light elves.” I might think arcane or mana elves, but not Light. They’re definitely not split into “two extreme opposites,” because for it to be so, Blood Elf society would have to rely on the Light as much as the Void Elves rely on the Void.

They do not.

3 Likes

A Fair point, but here’s what muddies the water, can blood elves refuse the energy of the sunwell, or is it pumped into them whether they like it or not? If so, they are potentially light corrupted, as they are being infused, mostly willingly, but for those that don’t want the light, its against their will.

Presumably for void elves the sunwell no longer has an active connection due to the void infusion they got.

The Blood Elves can do what they want. Some stick to their dependence on arcane energy, some decide the Sunwell is better. Nothing is being forced on them. And even then, that does not inherently make them “Light corrupted.” I need oxygen to survive and I get no say whether or not it enters my lungs when I breathe, but that doesn’t make me “oxygen corrupted.”

I disagree, back when Blood Elves were dependent on fel, and were actively consuming it, they were considered fel corrupted, albeit lightly. The Light from the Sunwell is now filling that role.

The nature of the Fel is hardly the same as the nature of the Light. Fel, by nature, corrupts. It is a corruptive substance. The Light is not inherently incapable of corrupting something, but it hardly corrupts things in the same way as the Fel.

That’s like saying I can choose to drink soda or water to quench my thirst, and claiming that both of them will make my teeth rot equally.

Edit: Yven, no.

1 Like

I suppose it depends on your point of view. If you think the Light is “Pure” “Holy” and “Cleansing”, then sure, it cant corrupt.

However, if you see it as just another cosmic power source, no different than the other 5 main ones, then any of them can corrupt something, they just go about doing so in slightly different ways.

Personally, I see what happened to Lothraxion as a form of corruption, just the Light corruption overriding the fel corruption.

Sure. The Light can corrupt something. But it does not, by nature, corrupt. Even with the recent information gleaned since Legion, this remains true. A paladin can use the Light safely without fear of falling prey to its influence - the same is not true of a warlock using Fel, there’s a far greater risk there.

Lothraxion is not an equatable comparison to the Sin’dorei. Lothraxion, like any Lightforged, had the Light woven into his entire being. The Light became an immovable part of his physical form that never left him. That’s not true at all of Blood Elves as a whole, even with the recent customizations.

And even then, none of this is consequential, because like I’ve said - the Light is NOT forced upon the Sin’dorei. There are headcanons and ephemeral musings, but none of them are “obvious extremes” as you put it.

Are you certain of that, are you certain that as a paladin, your will is truly your own?

"The Light is often said to bring about feelings of positive emotion—hope, courage, comfort—coming from the “heart.” That’s quoted from Cdev.

Now you could argue its a good things to be instilled with those emotions, but the fact still stands that when an external power alters your emotions, its corrupting your personality.

Buddy, I’m not a paladin. I’m a guy behind a computer typing about a video game, who’s not interested at all in roleplaying with you.

Now could you please pick a goal post and stick with it for once in your life? Are you arguing that the Light is corruptive, or that Blood Elves are “Light corrupted?” What constitutes corrupted? Can you honestly say that Void Elves and Blood Elves are equally as corrupt by outside sources, even though the Blood Elves aren’t inherently affected by the Light?

You have a repeated tendency to sling around a lot of wild headcanons and offer them as hard fact or “obvious extremes,” but you never really stop and clarify any of them. The furthest you really get is “this COULD happen” - which, if that’s what you’re basing your idea off of, it doesn’t really have a strong basis at all.

Well clearly, but that was just an example, to help you understand the concept.

I never really claimed they were equally corrupted. Clearly Blood Elves are not as infused with light as void elves are with void. But they are infused willingly or not, as evidenced by when the original Sunwell became corrupted by Kel’thuzad’s re-animation. If they could simply refuse the corrupted energy, there would have been no need to immediately blow the well up while ignoring other strategic concerns.

" Kael’thas soon learned that the greatest danger to his people was posed not by the Scourge remnants, but by the Sunwell itself. The corrupted powers of the well, tainted by Arthas’ ritual, still permeated not only the elves, but all that they had built. Given enough time, the [necromantic] energies would kill the elves and cause a catastrophe."

That doesn’t sound like they can refuse the energy of the well.

I’m not quite sure what you mean, the fact that Blood Elves are infused with the light, willing or not, is something that has already happened.

If you think the Light cannot corrupt something, then god bless, nothing I say will change your mind, because your philosophy revolves around black and white morality, and the assumption that the Light is an “anti” corruptive force.

What head canon? All I really said in the OP was that Void Elves and Blood Elves stand on opposite cosmological points due to their infusion with void and light respectively, and that this could play into future expansions based on those cosmic powers.

Well If Lothraxion is not enough for you, don’t the Lightbound fit this role?

A) Normally, corruptive storylines show us that the substance in question is harmful. Given that Lothraxion was not only on our side, but the Light also superseded something that was fueled by the literal Burning Legion, it doesn’t really come off as a “corruption story.”

B) A single character who was relevant for a small part of an expac, then promptly forgot about entirely is not a “corruption story” for the Light either. The Lightbound are a little closer, but ultimately, they existed only as a means to tell the Mag’har’s story, and then were promptly forgotten about as well (for now, I can give you at least that they might show up again). These are not Light corruption arcs in the same way that a Void (Cataclysm/BFA) or Fel (BC/Legion) arc whatsoever.

What you said was “Blood Elves are Light corrupted.” They are not. This has been explained to you.

EVERY thread from you consists of you offering up an outlandish theory, then when that theory is contested, you counter with “well, it MIGHT be true” or “can you PROVE it’s not 100% true?” And then you offer it until somebody validates it. It’s pretty dishonest arguing practice, dude.

That’s like saying Pastafarianism is not a religion, then allowing no other discourse about it arguing in favor.

Its not outlandish to claim a forced infusion by the light is not a corruption, in light of events on Draenor.

To claim it as fact, you’d have to show something equatable. The Lightbound and the Sin’dorei are not. Hell, not even the Lightbound and the Army of the Light are really equatable either.

You’re just pushing forth “it COULD happen” again, and hoping someone agrees with you.

No, I’m claiming it HAS happened already, we’re just arguing the semantics at this point.

Are High Elves/Blood Elves supposed to have golden eyes naturally? No, then that’s a sign of a physical mutation caused by the light, i.e. a form of corruption.

Its simply a double standard on your part to claim that only what the fel or void do is corruption, but when the light does it its not, because angel wings and fairy dust are too nice to corrupt.

A Pretty mutation, is still a mutation.

Nothing that you just said resembles anything I argued. If you’re gonna argue with me, at least bother to address what I actually said, and not what you think I said. I’m not one of your headcanons.

Are we certain? existential crisis intensifies

We’re arguing what defines corruption at this point, you believe that what has happened to the blood elves is not an example of light corruption. I disagree, because many of the red flags and symptoms are there.

1- forced infusion, the Sunwells energy cannot be denied, as evidenced by Kel’thuzad corrupted Sunwell posing the risk of killing all the high elves.

2- physical alteration in some, golden eyes are not a natural high elf trait.

3 - In the context of Draenor and Xe’ra, M’uru seems to have been sacrificed so the light could claim an entire race of people that were otherwise going to be under the domain of fel/chaos.

If you have to get THIS technical and down to your own interpretation to make your theory even slightly work (which, honestly, it doesn’t really), then it’s not exactly obvious or an extreme, is it?