I hear prot warrior is hard to play

So i will start by saying im casual player and i lvl lots of alts i dont really have a main but i have switches my war to prot for leveling and im really enjoying it. I hear they are hard to perform decent with in 5 mans. I dont raid so 5 man content is all i would do. Do i have to be top teir to get to a point to be able to do a plus 10 or will it be eiasyer to tank with a diffrent toon?

If you know the dungeon and route you plan to take I don’t find it that hard. Compared to my blood dk you need to have a higher degree of cooldown management. Besides that I don’t think it’s that much worse as long as you have a decent healer. This weeks affixes are rough regardless of what class tank you are in my opinion.

One of the downsides of prot (and others) is that we rely on the party for most of the affixes. It’s not super difficult if you manage expectations and completing 10s is well within the your grasp if your at least an average player.

2 Likes

The main problem most people with prot is that is it purely reliant on it’s cd management, and that improper management will leave you dead in the water for periods at a time where you just die.

Prot is only hard to play in that the other tanks are significantly easier. They have less to manage, less to watch, and are more forgiving (partially or totally reactive) whereas prot is entirely pro-active, so not preparing for a hit ahead of time leaves you behind. Etc

1 Like

Imho a blood DK is questionably easier to play and also is unquestionably a better tank than a warrior for running LFG mythic 5 mans. I have way, way more success getting through LFG mythics without wiping when I am on my blood DK than when I am on my prot warrior. That being said, despite all of the wipes, I usually have more fun while playing my warrior.

5 Likes

Prot warrior does more dps than any other tank and have great mobility so it is arguably the best tank for 7-12 keystones and stuff you overgear in general.

1 Like

I play all tank classes to some degree. I mained Bear for 6 years then switched to DK this past spring. I played around on this character a bit as an alt and just got him to 120 2 days ago. I tanked a +10 in time today at ilvl 346. By far the strongest I’ve felt on any tank so far in BFA apples to apples.

I do find the playstyle a lot more engaging which has been really fun the last few days. Between this guy and my brewmaster, I’m having a ball. My DK is still main atm, but this 8.1 warrior is ridiculous.

2 Likes

I think Prot is fine. It needs some attention, but it’s not a soup sandwich either. It does require some time spent to use it well. That’s the part I’m on.

3 Likes

Gonna be honest with you Chief. Prot warrior isnt hard and honestly I have tons of fun playing my prot vs playing my bear which is what i was maining to start the expac. Yes the survivability isnt the greatest and you do have to micro-manage your cooldowns. But it does have very engaging game play and if you love seeing big numbers as a tank. Its def the way to go.

1 Like