I have the opportunity to buy a Rx 6800 XT... Should I?

You don’t sound too excited to get one.

I have a RX 5700xt, I would had preferred a sapphire nitro rx 6900xt TBH

I originally thought of waiting for next generation GPUs but at the same time I thought of buying this as a precaution, should GPUs next generation also be in a shortage

I mean be for real I have a 2700x, I would expect to bottleneck the 6800xt

My original plan was to build another pc with am5, ddr5, some zen 4 chip and a next gen GPU with all m.2 2TB SSDs

But if the next generation of GPUs are also going to be dealing with shortage/scalping like it is recently, I’d be alright with my rx 5700xt

if you want to flip it sure :slight_smile:

OBVIOUSLY this means you should then buy a 5900x. I would, if I were you.

Why? you’re just going to pay the early adopter tax. I did that with 1st gen ryzen. I swapped back to intel so fast when I was able to get a 8700k.

Worse case you can flip the 6800xt or keep it as a collectors item.

Just to humor you, my Formd T1 build is going to be an all AMD build again. 3900x + 6800xt midnight.

That’s just it why would I buy a 5900xt? Am4 is already at it’s end

What if zen 4, say 7900xt drops the bomb once more vs zen 3 did, plus being on am5 I expect them to do another 3-4 years of support so a zen 6/7 cpu would work with say a x670 board

I would have hoped you remembered what I did during first gen Ryzen where I was one of the lucky ones with 3200 cas 14 setup, back in 2017

i mean you can get it now (sort of) vs. waiting. So if you get a 6800xt and its cpu limiting it, then upgrade!

I have big plans for buying stuff in 2022

Was expecting that next year would be the year of 4k gaming be much more fluid fps wise, maybe ray tracing too

So I have plans of buying a 144hz 4k monitor, an am5 setup and next flagship GPU

At the same time you made sense of buying this 6800xt, just in case next generation worst case scenario, GPU mining will still be causing a shortage

1 Like

Just think of me as N’zoth. Whispering into your ear.

buy…buy…buy

nope, don’t remember.

I just remember most of the itx board couldn’t hit advertise ram speed back then. I recall mine was able to hit 3200Mhz cas 16 but the gigabyte itx board I had VRM was also sitting at 120c with the 1700.

Though, microcenter increased their 5600x to 350…
Feels like a bad buy at this point. I wonder whats going on for them to do a price bump.

My 1600 couldn’t do 3200 stable. Eventually gave up on just did 2933 and it was mostly fine.

I had a gigabyte x370 k7 board with 2 kits of g skill flare X, 8 gb per stick, rated at 3200 cas 14

It was like may or June 2017 when bios issues were a problem back then for ram speeds, I was one of the lucky one managed to reach 3200 cas 14 prior to the big bios fix update

did your 6800xt come in?
I didn’t expect the card to be this heavy.

+1 for AMD from Packaging to how nice of a heatsink this is.
Makes EVGA’s XC3 line up look bad in comparison. Just plastic shell and feels cheap.

I actually got a RTX 3070 FE in yesterday mornings bestbuy drop. It was a very big drop. Quite a few people in the drop discord got cards. Tried for 3080 but no cigar. For a drop to last 2-3min is pretty good
:heart_eyes:

You can probably sell your 2080 for more than you bought the 3070 for.

1 Like

Right now getting Graphic Cards is at a premium. If you have a shot at one TAKE IT!

/#Stay Safe, Stay Healthy