I hate Mind Sear. Can the Psychic Link build please get buffed?

I didn’t like Mind Sear very much before Dragonflight, but it was okay. But using it as a spender? So much worse!

Can we pleas buff Psychic Link? Maybe make it so that Devouring Plague Triggers it. Just let me remove Mind Sear from my action bars.

2 Likes

Would you elaborate on how this would work

Link will never be better than mind sear because shadowcrash has a 30s cd and only affects 8 targets. Have you tried doing mythic academy? The tree boss that spawns little adds that need to die is the perfect boss for you to see how crap SP aoe is. You would have to VT EVERY add before you get to actually damaging them, and if you do have crash it only hits 8 and with how spread apart they are, it won’t ever even do that. For link to work better shadow crash would have to reduce CD on enemy deaths or insanity spent, and we’d need a way to at least VT adds other than crash.

to be honest i prefer it as a spender. sue me.

as a builder it was literally just mind flay but aoe. the input wasnt interesting and you didnt feel like you played differently in aoe other than dropping MB, with psychic link mind flay is basically old mind sear just less powerful.
Also its not like the buttons compete, psychic link and mind sear compliment eachother, they do different things.

We need an aoe spender regardless, perhaps blizz could make appirations deal aoe damage instead so DP IS the aoe spender but i wouldnt want that till aoe dot application is fixed.

Frankly spender sear is less a problem than applying dots in aoe, sure its great when SC is up, but when its not your gameplay degenerates into VT spam all while you cant actually take advantage of your dots.

2 Likes

Aren’t you supposed to take both? Lol

Honestly what I have been doing on bosses like that is just casting VT on pull
And saving SC for the adds

1 Like

I’m not following how shadow crash has any bearing on the “mind sear vs psychic link” argument.

You take shadow crash for either build.

That’s like saying peanut butter and jelly will always be better than peanut butter and Nutella because toast.

You still want dots up on every target. Both sear and psychic link talent builds directly benefit from dots on targets. And how many times really are you in combat with more than 8 mobs?

Interesting, I always thought spriests did just fine in that fight. We have a large range so we can hit just about any of the adds while they’re growing, and saving shadow crash for when they inevitably cluster is a fine strategy.

Of course if you’re just burning shadow crash single target because “gotta get the ability on cooldown”, you’re substantially hindering your dps.

You can express an opinion on the forums without saying “sue me”. It’s okay, I promise. I’d also agree with you.

I’d just say the caveat is that insanity generation in aoe doesn’t feel as strong

Think he’s discussing a psychic link build that excludes mind sear. In that context, yes, they are competing.

Eeeehhhh nah. More dots you have targeted, the more apparitions spawn. Think this is fine as is.

I mean if you wanted an ability like malefic rupture wherein you spend insanity to spawn empowered apparitions that quickly move to your targets, that could be interesting.

Agreed.

1 Like

Same. If I know there’s going to be adds, I save my SCrash for them.

1 Like

A possible change to Sear would be to have its damage based on the Insanity you have rather than a dedicated amount of insanity per tick.

This would help alleviate situations where you start a channel and instantly have to move for whatever reason. It would help separate the goods from the bads who spam Sear at low Insanity. It would also help synergize a bit better since channeled spells have an effect on our DoTs you can make more decisions on when to pop Sear to keep the DoTs rolling.

I don’t mind Sear as an ability but I feel it’s too punishing for most if something goes awry in a run. With guildmates we can keep moving and I know what to expect, with pugs it seems like someone is always doing something weird where we have to break channel to move, tank pulls more than anyone’s AOE can effectively hit, etc.

Because psychic link doesnt work on targets without VT…
On big packs your aoe would be nonexistant before you manualy vt every single mob if crash on cd…like this boss…its hard to hit them all with crash, and of you decide to vt them one by one then they will be dead before you even start using psychic link…you would be an anchor for your group for this add prio clearing.

Just don’t use it. I don’t, and I’m probably paying for it in dps somewhere, but it’s bad and I’m willing it to go away for my own quality of life.
It’s clunky to babysit, and instead of worrying about it you’ll probably save a few globals of other stuff (like getting another VT up for psychic link) by letting it rot in its own corner. Psychic link is all you need if you can line it up properly with adequate use of GCDs.

1 Like

Mind sear suffers as well. It’s losing the 80% dot tick rate increase. So unless you’re talking about mini mobs or targets that are about to die, you’ll still want to multi-dot off targets so mind sear gets that benefit.

Right, so one boss we have a bit of a handicap. Who cares?

Off the top of my head, there are very, very few situations in which there are more than 8 targets (outside of somebody deciding to pull extra mobs cause accidents happen), such that it’s hardly worth discussion.

Mind sear is simply stronger than psychic link, likely because blizzard just adores the whole “active abilities should cause more damage than passive”, even though mind sear isn’t much in the way of interactive

Me too tbh, it feels weird not trying to maximize dps though so you feel like you are playing wrong regardless.

:question: and? Like are you high or something? You said that you dont follow how shadow crash is relevant to psychic link…
Im just telling you that it is and how it is linked to it so you can see it…i dont need an essay how mind sear works i do know how it works…i see how it works…

Again…totaly ignorant response …do you even know the concept of giving examples? Do you seriously think that it would be an issue only on one mob of all the dungeons…which half of them we didnt even run yet…have you even done any dungeon in df? An issue that isnt even issue since psychic link wont get buffed and sear will be mandatory…its just discussion where you particulary stated that you dont understand something…so i tried to explain it and help you see…
Im kinda getting tirrd of your combative responses even when youre blatantly wrong…beign rude just for the sake of beign rude.

Are you? See how non-value added this is?

That’s not what I said. I said I don’t follow how shadow crash is a variable when comparing psychic link against mind sear. Both talent build choices are very reliant on shadow crash.

See this illustration?

This doesn’t meant I don’t see why toast is relevant to peanut butter and jelly. It means toast is necessary for both PB&J and PB&nutella. Apparently throwing in an extra illustration still wasn’t enough for you to understand this.

I suggest you don’t throw out snarky comments when the failure of reading comprehension is on your end.

Lol, you’re really not good at this. Again, avoid the snarky comments. Leave them to people with reading comprehension.

An example is relevant when it isn’t an outlier.

Despite your third-grade level of writing, I believe I understand what you’re trying to convey.

In m+ it will be very, very rare that we encounter pulls in which shadow crash will not apply dots to all the targets in combat.

The point of this was to reinforce that shadow crash is not the determinant in the viability of psychic link vs mind sear. Again, you’ve failed to understand this.

Yes I’ve cleared all m0’s last week and will do the same this evening.

I will be doing m+ starting tomorrow.

It’s unfortunate that in these few posts you had failed to grasp the obvious point I’ve been making.

This is an incorrect statement. Mind sear being better than psychic link has very, very little to do with shadow crash.

Hope that clears it up for you.

I strongly suggest you refrain from snarky comments in the future.

It is…sear does damage without dots on targets…psychic link doesnt work without them alltogether. Maybe this way you get it.

Nice try…followed by bunch of passive agressive “snarky comments” from you.

Youre something extra.

Your points are flawed, mr. high horse himself.

sighs

Read, please.

Yes, I tend to give it better than I receive it. If you’re going to be snarky, I’d suggest you improve your writing. I’d also strongly recommend that you not be surprised when people return in kind.

They aren’t, you simply don’t understand them, even after they’ve been repeated to you.

You are correct in the extremely rare and niche circumstances that mind sear will outperform psychic link when there are so many mobs in combat that shadow crash can’t apply dots to all of them, and the mobs’ health pools are such that it is not worth manually casting dots on them. When you instead go straight to casting mind sear, yes, those mobs are taking damage that psychic link would otherwise not be doing.

I never disputed this.

What I said was this particular situation is very, very rare, such that it isn’t really worth considering.

This is why I said

Please. Read.

Mind sear is better than psychic link because of tuning in and of itself, and because of its strong synergy with mind devourer. Shadow crash is an unnecessary component in the discussion.

Mind sear is not materially better than psychic link because of anything related to shadow crash.

Please. Read.

I consider it maximizing dps. I feel the dot spread on adds is worth the wait on certain bosses.

I’m confused as to why it matters as you take both for mplus and aoe.