I find this post very disheartening

And some of the side effects of backporting that code can actually produce brand new bugs that never existed like the hunter pet bug where you can tame a pet 2+ levels above you. That never existed in any version of wow.

1 Like

Well, just a 3% reduction off the crit rate would account for lower NPC damage in some cases. Especially for the physical DPS mobs, which is most of them. It isn’t that the individual hits fell outside of the expected range. It is that the frequency of critical strikes was lower than it should have been.

This is so very valid.

I was rewatching the presentation and in part we might have actually interpreted that wrong. They said that what they got from the backup of a backup, was actually the art assets, not the 1.12 data.

Time: 6:35

So when going back and looking at our database data, we took our clock… we cracked open this database and said “How far back do you still have data for?” Fortunately we still had patch 1.12 and slightly before.

Time: 7:38

When we went digging, we unfortunately found that we only had a few of the more recent art assets from the more recent expansions. But this project was very important to us, and we went all the way to our data archivists, and asked “Do you have any old backups of these old network drives? We need them, we desperately want to go back to the original data.” Now this data was actually off-site, and we weren’t sure what we were going to find until some of the old backups were restored from very old tape drives.
We did receive a backup from 2008, and we thought “Well the date’s good but not exactly what we’re looking for.” We dug into it a little bit more and fortunately, we found on that backup, a folder labelled “Final 1.12 Data”. Yeah, that’s right, we found a backup on our backup of a backup.

1 Like

There’s another “damage is off” bug that was reported.

Durator tigers…level 7/8 were hitting for 1-3 damage in beta.
Old vanilla video shows them hitting for 7-9 damage.
Brady Bestiary book lists them as hitting for 7-9 damage as well.
I went on a pserver last night to check…hitting for 7-9 with the higher number actually being a crit hit from them.

This was already identified as a stoneskin totem bug.

Something like this is not “in the database”, this kind of effect is “in code” in the backend and/or the client.

This kind of stuff they have to replicate through black box observation testing (and reports such as yours).

They roughly have the art artifacts, the item database, the quest database, and I assume the raid mob behaviors as part of the database (I do not know how raid bosses and such are scripted).

But things like spell effects (such as Feign Death killing you) etc, that’s “code”, which they apparently do not have.

This doesn’t detract from your call for more testers, just provides an example of how something like this may have slipped through the cracks.

I thought FD no longer killed you by the time 1.12 rolled around, but I could be wrong.

Patch 2.0.1…feign death no longer kills you

1 Like

End result of that post:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/bug-hit-tables/185675/12

“We checked, it’s fine”.

So even though they appreciate the effort and empirical data, the review showed everything fine.

I’m so shocked, I thought PServers were 100% accurate and we now know more about vanilla wow than blizz due to 15 years of experience.

Not quite! Blizzard was among the first companies to implement Intel support in the Mac ports of their games. Intel Mac compatibility was added in patch 1.9.3. As such, 1.12.1 also supports Intel Macs.

My understanding is that high-volume testing will happen in the latter half of the test period (similar to xpac betas) but we’ll see. You’re absolutely right that this is something best done with as many people as is feasible.

They say they have a reference client, but they also didn’t say this was post retail translation or pre retail translation. The server is where most the action happens. If it’s post translation, of course everything will match up.

Not that they owe us any sort of explaination.

Do we know feign death worked that way specifically as of 1.12 though? Or was that pre 1.12. It may not have been authentic overall Vanilla, but if it was that way in 1.12, then it’s technically accurate.

That’s where a lot of the bugs may fall.

Private servers, the good ones, are really damn good. If Blizzard can do just as good or better, then it will be a great experience. Have no fear, oh worry wort.

It worked that way as of 1.12. I know. I had a hunter then.

Pretty sure it was changed in the TBC pre-patch, which of course isn’t Vanilla.

It’s really hard to, especially when we were sold that line when many of Legion/BFA’s problems made it past Beta with this line being made as an excuse.

That being said: The Classic team has earned my optimism. Why? They’ve done good so far, plus, if they screw it up, I’m done with Blizzard until 9.0.

1 Like

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Awe ok, from my understanding the ones who did the Private servers had to do something special to get that client to work on Macs, due to newer updates I could be wrong. Point still stands that the client was dated.

On as a side note when can I post links, get’s annoying trying to quote something and going back and editing out the links.

Nah…1.12.1 client works perfectly fine on current macs…intel support was there by 1.12.1
Just depended on where you got your client from…not all were pure 1.12.1 versions.