I defeated the mage tower tonight. My thoughts

I tried all of the ones I did in Legion. Back then, I one shot Agatha after it took me 55+ pulls for guardian. Twins took me like 10 attempts.

Not anymore. I’m like 50-60 deep in each one. Anyone who’s actually doing these knows they’re stupidly overtuned, only the white nights who don’t play the actual game are saying the difficult is fine.

8 Likes

I’ve been at it for about 50 pulls now. Saw Phase 2 twice, got him down to about 10% before being knocked off. P1 is about patience and using the orbs for every nether spawn to give you more time to kill them. You’ll have an orb each time.

It’s the infernals that make this an RNG nightmare, maybe slow down the casts just a bit or limit the infernal count to just 2 max. IMHO.

I generally agree with you, been pumped about this Fel Bear skin ever since I saw it, read up all on it, watched all the PTR guides just to have it buffed right before going to live, kick in the gut. Feeling pretty defeated rn. Going to give it a break a bit and try again tomorrow.

2 Likes

I’ve had instances where I only got one orb total by the time the second set of nethers spawned actually

Also have had orbs spawn ontop of me or each other too

-edit- fixed a typo, on phone now so I can try and sleep

2 Likes

Nope. In the end it will be about participation metrics. What percentage tried it and what percentage completed it. If their goal is for only 2% of players to complete it, that’s meeting one participation metric. But another possible metric depends on what those other 98% are doing. If they have nothing to do because they were counting on this and now realize it was never intended for them, then a fair number will unsub. People with little to do often do that.

I think it was, which is why they implemented these changes unannounced and untested.

1 Like

Considering the fact that this content is a high difficulty challenge testing reaction timing, control, proper use of kit, and VERY high damage checks this challenge should NOT be locked behind Timewalking event. As it stands we have a couple weeks to work on the mage tower and then we need to wait several months before we can make farther attempts. Yes it is nice that this time it drooped when we are waiting for the next patch but what happens if it come up when a new Season has just started? The fact is the widow to make attempts is not large enough as is.

I would also like to shine a light on how poorly this is future proofed. In the past few years since legion we have seen some manner of pruning when we transitioned in to BFA and several spell and passives were removed to “make space” for Artifact traits, legendary effects, and Set bonuses which were implemented as talents or baseline passives. Now in SL we were given some old spells back to an entire class. Some of this “un-pruning” was ok like Mages Mirror image, and others felt aimless and confused like Arcane shot for BM and Survival Hunters.
So what happens in the future when Blizzard decided to revamp a talent tree or a spec entirely. Shadow Priests core gameplay went from old Demonology gameplay in legion and back to is DOT focused gameplay. What happens if we get more new spells in the future? Are they just going to lock said spells?

I can tell you this it is very unlikely they have planed for that. We have seen in Legions legacy raids that much of this content is not designed with the though that “people might want to come back and see this stuff in the future”. To be fair that has never been a thing blizzard has done BUT when it comes to Timewalking the content need to work with the newer class gameplay. More work needs to be put in past creating a scaling knob and then turning it. I understand that in of itself isn’t always a simple undertaking but the fact is just changing the number is creating more problems that make new expansions feel lesser then there predecessor which got these things right.

MoP is generally remembered fondly because it built upon our characters, had balanced reasonable challenges, had fairly meaty updates with lots to do for weeks on end, and let hero’s farther explore the World of Warcraft with even more powerful characters. The new mold seems to forget that this is an RPG built on the idea of leveling up and growing with our characters.

3 Likes

I dont see whats wrong with having content that is too hard for people. The problem is that its available 2 and a half weeks a year

5 Likes

The issue is that they pushed it as the centerpiece of timewalking when they were trying to convince people to resub. A lot of people did resub because of this. Finding out it was never intended for players like them to complete - but keep paying so we can produce content for elites - and maybe you can do RP or something instead - feels like a bait and switch.

Did it say it was going to be an elite challenge? It’s dishonest to push it for subs and then switch it at the last minute from what it was on the PTR.

My crystal ball has shown me that the future of the game is all FOMO all the time.

5 Likes

it probably has a lot to do with what class/spec they are doing them on - they never make things of equal difficulty across the board.

3 Likes

isnt that what it was the firs time too though? idk I didnt play legion but thats what i heard

i wish this were true

exclusivity is good for the game
it motivates people and it creates player investment

blizz moved away from “fomo” and instead design rewards to be difficult to obtain at first then incredibly easy to obtain a few months after they come out

doubt we’ll ever see challenge mode style or mage tower style rewards again which is a massive loss for the game as whole

1 Like

the first time around you could end up out gearing it by the end of the expansion unless you were a really bad player

I figured it would be easier this time because the rewards aren’t all that special.

torghast?

Ty for your post. You just saved me some time and aggravation then.

This is to be expected. It’s using TW scaling so things will be out of whack. What lvl was your heirloom?

what cosmetic rewards come from torghast that will be unique to shadowlands?

did you even read my post or do you not know what challenge modes are

the expansion isn’t over yet - they are putting more things into Torghast

ok if they put class specific armor sets or weapons that are removed when shadowlands ends i’ll apologize

but i’m very confident they wont

I think both are right to a degree. The entire point of a challenge mode is to perfect the mechanics and be rewarded, but on the other hand… If you follow all the mechanics to a T and the sheer amount of hp and dmg the boss has just insta slaps you or you can’t meet the dps check like on Kruul with his beefed up annihilations then there is a problem there that probably needs tuning.

if 9.2 is the last patch, they will be very motivated to try and keep ppl subbed with something.

This is precisely why I’m becoming more and more burned out on this game. It used to be “Oh, mage tower. That’s cool. It’s hard. but it’s a good achievement.”
“Oh, a store mount. It looks nice. I’ll buy it despite Asmongold raging.”
“Oh, it’s timewalking week. Sure, I’ll go try for the Infinite Timereaver.”

Now I just can’t be bothered. I’m tired of being told when I can have fun and how I have to have fun on a schedule made up by people who sit in an office and may or may not play the game. Right now my attitude is “You know what? I’ll log in and do what I do. And maybe I’ll do that thing you put in the game and maybe I won’t. But if you make it FOMO, I’m probably going to go “NAH!” and log off and go play a different game.”

M:tG Arena has been getting a lot more play from me lately. Certainly way more than WoW.

6 Likes

I won’t waste any time with the tower this time around, absolute not motivated to do it. The bear form really doesn’t fit any druid race but an unavailable Feltotem Tauren race. Too much immersion breaking for me.