I am totally lost

NOTE: I am not 70 yet, and have used the Starter Build since level 10, so some things are missing from my set, like Whirling Dragon Punch.

After all these years, I finally got around to playing a monk, and I am completely lost on the windwalker rotation. Master: Combo Strikes makes things difficult for me considering some of the things we have use cooldowns. How am I supposed to keep up chi if I can’t spam tiger’s palm? I’ve looked at icy veins as well as peak of serenity for tips and simplified explanations or the rotation, but I’m still left scratching my head.

The icy veins explanations are too complex for me to wrap my head around. The entire rotation seems overly dynamic, rather than x, y, z, if a or b procs hit it.

The peaks of serenity one just doesn’t work. Chi burst, leg sweep, and strike of the windlord all have lengthy cooldowns. The first mob (overworld) is fine, but then you have to stand and wait before attacking anything else.

Peaks of serenity also says to use tiger’s palm and blackout kick liberally if you need chi or globes. Doesn’t combo strikes defeat the purpose of this? You’d be gimping your dps.

Can a seasoned whirlwind monk vet please break this down down for me and explain it as if I were five? Seriously… I’ve had several strokes. My brain doesn’t work the way it used to.

1 Like

Assuming you know the acronyms, basic rotation goes something like this (ignoring CDs, various talents, and procs).
TP - 2 Chi
RSK - 0 Chi
TP - 2 Chi
BoK - 1 Chi
TP - 3 Chi
FoF - 0 Chi
TP - 2 Chi
BoK - 1 Chi
TP - 3 Chi
RSK - 1 Chi
TP - 3 Chi
BoK - 2 Chi
TP - 4 Chi
FoF - 1 Chi
Things get a bit complicated once you facter in CDs, talents, and procs. But the gist of it is RSK and FoF as much as possible, use SCK if spec’d and proc’d.

1 Like

Okay, so I see a pattern here. If I had to simplify this, I’d say:

Aside from pullers and launching EWF/Xuen, Start with Tiger’s Palm, and use every step between the following:

• Rising
  • Blackout
  • Fists
  • Blackout
  • Repeat, beginning with Rising

Now, let’s say I accidentally pull 2-3 mobs. How do the following fit in?

• Chi Burst (damage and healing)
  • Strike of the Windlord (damage and movement debuff)
  • Spinning Crane Kick (conditional increased damage)
1 Like

You can opt to use Chi Burst or EH to prevent breaking mastery, every now and then your rotation can get stuck and you’re either going to over generate Chi or break mastery.
SotWL liberally or preferably when they are bunched up so those stack damage is higher, and SCK when proc’d.
You’d want to burn them down one by one due to AL orbs can help replenish your health mid combat. Can also use para to CC a spicy mob or use Karma to help mitigate incoming damage while at the same time deal some minor damage back.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve been playing around with them, and I think I have a handle on it now. Though, we do seem to be a little squishy, even with statue, instant vivify, and expel. But, I’m assuming that resolves somewhat after I hit 70 and get better gear. Thanks for all your help guys!

We’re just very squishy in general even with better gear, make use of defensives and kite and heal if you have to when they’re down.

2 Likes

Are you keveling in warmode?

No. I’m 70 now. But, what does that have to do with anything except XP?

In warmode you get access to pvp talents and one makes fist of fury parry all incoming melee attacks while it channels and causes it to do 100% dmg to all targets instead of reduced dmg to non primary.

Do PvP talents only take into account legitimate PvP targets. not regular mobs? Either way, I don’t PvP and hesitate walking around in War Mode. I’d lose every time someone jumped me. lol

Nope, you can purely pve with them.

This is the only thing you would have to actually worry about.

Dont worry about chi, thats why you have expel harm. Thats what you use to keep your combo bonus rolling.

1 Like

Once you learn how windwalker works you wont get into a position where you need to tiger palm twice or blackout kick twice. Theres no need.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I’ve got a handle on it now, have reached 70, and only occasionally get into trouble if I accidentally pull too many mobs. But, I just double roll away.

And where did I mention in this post there was a need to TP or BoK twice? Oh that’s right I didn’t.
TP twice only happened if going with Necro during SL where after SEF you would TP twice getting max MotC to ensure max burst time.
Come back to me after you learn how to DPS yeah.

1 Like

This isnt shadowlands. Get back to me when you know how the class works.

You still failed to point out where I mentioned to break mastery other than during SLs, this is the Blizzard forums not English 101. Come back to me when you learn how to read laddie.

Ok buddy. Sure thing. :+1: