Hunter questions

As I am brand new to this class I am a little confused on the data I am seeing. I understand that I can switch between BM & MM but that isn’t how I like to play. I would like to focus on only one and would love your input on which I should choose.

Looking at the data from heroic raids, (http s://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/28#sample=7&difficulty=4) because I will probably not get far into mythic raids and that is down the road, it seems BM and MM are neck and neck.

Now when I look at Mplus (http s://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/25#sample=7) BM is clear at the bottom with MM in the top 30%. Can someone explain why this is? Is this based on their effectiveness in Mythic plus or how often they are in mythic plus?

I will be 60 today and want to commit to one spec, no matter what feedback I get, and use that to focus on raiding and of course world events, Renown quests, WQ and stuff like that. Never PvP and never will. Might get into Mythic plus up to 10 or so. Happy to listen to any opinions and advice.

2 Likes

This is primarily due to AoE.

Currently, MM has very strong AoE burst despite having a cap of 5 mobs.

BM’s AoE, on the other hand, is extremely weak because it is mostly dependent on your pets… and Beast Cleave only triggers with specific attacks (the BM mains can clarify more on this).

Due to MM’s strong AoE burst, they usually are in demand for M+ runs. MSV has strong AoE too, but people aren’t as accepting of the melee hunter spec.

1 Like

Ahhhhhhh. Now that makes sense. Thanks Water. Ok then. So the formula, as it stands today is:

ST: BM=MM
AoE: MM>>>BM

So the clear choice would be MM to be effective everywhere.

Basically, yeah.

But there is a couple places where BM have the edge over MM.

BM is currently the best hunter spec for arenas, and BM is the strongest Hunter spec for “extreme soloing” or “challenge soloing.”

BM fares better in Torghast, for example, and BM is better for if you want to push yourself and solo a Mythic instance by your own.

MM does fine with most solo challenges too, it’s just slower than BM in Torghast and their pets aren’t quite strong enough to solo Mythic 5-mans yet.

5 Likes

Argh. It’s never simple is it lol.
All those things you said about BM are exactly what I am wanting. I solo almost 95% of the time.

Maybe it’s me that needs to change my decision and be both MM and BM. I guess it’s same loot and stuff. Thanks for all your input.

And by the way, what are mythic 5 mans? Not sure what that is.

Sorry, I meant instances. It’s old slang that stuck with me!

BM and MM has slightly different preferences for stats, but basically they can share gear.

1 Like

Sorry man, I still am not sure what you mean. Are you talking about old mythic dungeons content to solo? Like Legion or BFA? Or something different?

If you’re looking mostly to solo, I would pick BM. It solos content very efficiently. It has its ups and downs between expansions, but due to leech and most of your damage coming from your pets, BM is always capable of soloing much more than most other classes. Back in Legion, we could solo heroic raid bosses from Legion. There were a few BFA raid or world bosses that could also be done alone as BM.

Those are the extremes, and I can find videos for you if you want as examples. For most content, BM will make soloing easier than MM. For practical purposes, it’s easier in places like Torghast or Heroic / Mythic Plaguefall if you are looking to get the secret Slime Serpent mount.

For more general use, it’s also a very forgiving spec. You’ll mostly want to keep frenzy stacks on your pet at 3. As long as you can do that, you should be able to do decent damage.

Mythic five man dungeons can refer to those, yes. Though I think in this context, Water is referring to current expansion dungeons like Plaguefall, Theater of Pain, etc. So for instance, a Mythic five man dungeon is a dungeon on Mythic difficulty, that is designed for five players to complete it. Beast Mastery, if played really well, can often do dungeons meant for five players by itself.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for explaining that. Wow, since I plan on soloing so much I am definitely going BM. I had no idea that they could solo current content now and then. that is quite impressive. I get that it requires a lot of skill and knowing the class as well but still to have that potential is pretty cool.

I’m in. Thanks all.

2 Likes

If you need any help or advice, feel free to ask! I sometimes post videos of me soloing some more difficult content and I’m more than happy to give pointers for anything regarding soloing. If you’re also just interested in seeing what (in my opinion) the best hunter at soloing has done, DurendilLeHunt on YouTube is phenomenal, though I don’t think he really posts how to stuff.

I will for sure add you to my friends list, thank you. One last question for you, which pet should I use that is best for soloing? There are so many different qualities I just am not sure. Again, just for soloing content like Torghast, WQ etc.

Because AoE is the only thing MM is good at.
MM’s single target is absolutely ABYSMAL in m+ since you run full aoe talents, it’s really bad, you feel like garbage in pure ST bosses.

1 Like

You’ll want to use a Clefthoof for nearly every soloing situation. Clefthooves are a ferocity pet which means you can use bloodlust/heroism with them which can really help you kill some more difficult challenges. Additionally, provide 10% leech (15% with aspect of the beast which you will want to talent into for soloing). The leech will help keep your pet alive while it tanks, and it will return 15% (or more with more leech) of the health you heal your pet for with mend pet back to you.

Clefthooves have two other things they have going for them. At 40% health, they automatically activate a damage reduction buff that last for 15 seconds and reduces damage they take by 60%. Additionally, clefthooves get 10% extra armor and 20% extra healing, making them much harder to kill overall compared to other pets.

That’s a great site to use a resource. It’ll show all available pets that can be tamed, their abilities, and can provide information where to find a specific pet model you might like!

Edit:

I am usually on these forums daily, though if you want to ask more directly, my bnet is Lazypeon#1469.

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t see this until now! I was in church. :slightly_smiling_face:

Lazy is right, I’m talking about current Mythic instances. He’s one of the BM mains that I referred to, in my first post here.

He’s one of the best to ask questions about BM (Bepples is also very knowledgeable about the BM spec). I’m much more familiar with MM, albeit I don’t run high content due to time constraints.

I hope you have fun with your new Hunter! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

MM is better than BM for torghast, you can nuke big packs with the aoe.

It really depends on the player!

I’ve learned over the years that MM is not as intuitive for players as BM is, and the Torghast anima powers definitely are not as intuitive for MM players.

And I’m saying this as somebody who soloed Twisting Corridors, layer 8, at ilevel 203. (I only run MM on my main.)

It’s doable, definitely, but I would usually recommend first-time Hunters to run BM in Torghast. Much more intuitive in my opinion.

1 Like

I really should run a Clefthoof. But I love my spiders so much.

2 Likes

I can’t fault you there. Especially if you ride around with a spider mount and two spider pets. Spider-Elf, Spider-Elf, does whatever a Spider-Elf does! Can she swing from a web, no she can’t, she’s an elf. LOOOOOOK OUUUUUUT Here comes Spider-Elf!

I’ll see myself out.

2 Likes

One of my students is obsessed with Spider-Man.

Like, she has top-quality, full-body costumes (with the full-head mask and everything).

Notice that ‘S’ on ‘costumes?

That’s right, she’s got five Spider-Man costumes.

They cost over $100 each.

2 Likes

I should show you my wizard outfit sometime, you’d get a kick out that!

Spiderman is super cool though. Definitely one of my favorite super heroes for sure.

2 Likes