Hello, this is Melaned here. (Would really like to post on Melaned and notr a randomized character but the beta forums only allows this guy idky)
So one of my primary goals is making sure that hunter pets are done right! Because I love BM and if used appropriately it is basically a two character class!
UPDATED 5/24/19: Fixes have been applied!
So for those wondering here’s a few things I’ve gathered.
List of things that might trick you fellow hunters.
- Growl was not a full-blown taunt but an aggro increase. Back in vanilla you did and will experience grabbing aggro from pet even as BM in lower levels. This tricked me and took me a solid moment to remember.
- Pets are not as tanky as many might remember! Yep! There’s reasons for grabbing a turtle or a bear, because they are hefty and can deal with damage better!
- Pet damage seems a LOT lower than it should be. For you fellow BM players, this is on me a bit actually.
I feel like pet damage is off by an amount yes, not a lot.But most of us remember our days playing vanilla in later levels. Later in the line we get Frenzy which does a huge increase for our pets which is why you WANT a fast attacking pet other than the caster part. So this might explain why it feels worse than it is. (This might be caused by private servers getting it wrong and upping pet damage a lot confusing some players to think that it is a huge off number rather than small)
- Pet and you aggroing. Yes some hunters might’ve been fooled if they played on private servers. PSers supposedly have pet aggro separate from hunter aggro, thus if your pet pulls you are not in aggro still. This was NOT how vanilla was. If one pulls the other pulls. Thus setting traps before pulling with pet was needed and having a passive pet in PVP helped loads!
- So hitting 30 I’ve noticed all the hunters with 32 pets. And they for most part have said that it is a bug. At first I thought this myself. But combing through my memories I actually do remember hunters being able to tame pets up to 2 levels higher.
Now onto actual pet issues I’ve noticed so far.
- In earlier levels opening beast training and every use of it caused the game to freeze for me. I believe I was not the only one. Upon reaching level 18 and getting new training however it stopped. It might’ve been fixed though not sure. Found this bug again when taming an Elder Ashenvale Bear to attain Claw rank 4. When opening Beast training with the bear out it froze my screen like it used to. Might have to do with pets with low loyalty levels?
- Pets seem a little slow in specific cases to respond.
I’ve found myself having to spam press the attack button or the follow button to get my pet to respond correctly.Since the fix, they are near fully responsive properly! But I’ve noticed some latency still but no where near as much!
- Adding onto the pet latency, when the pet is called back mid-run towards a mob (mind you this requires spamming the button) the pet does not run back to the hunter but speeds through like 2x the speed of an epic mount lol. (To recreate this. Choose target at good distance. Press petattack. then while pet running to mob, spam press petfollow.)
- Pet pathing when jumping seems to be bugged. They will teleport down sometimes which I believe was not until BC or later? Sometimes they will do a crazy run all over to follow like they did in vanilla but rare. (Have yet to test since major fix on 5/23)
- New as of 5/23. If putting pet into stables without pet summoned it multiplies their picture not the actual pet and will act as if you never put them in in the first place. In order to fix you must desummon if summoned, then pull them out, make sure they appear, then put into stable.
- Leaving/teleporting out of a battleground causes a loss in pet happiness.
- New major issue. When set to passive, if an enemy attacks the hunter first before pet is set to defensive or /petattack is used, the pet will then go into a semi-attack state upon using defensive/attack. Pet will aggress the enemy initially then return to the hunter’s side. If the npc does not go for the pet then nothing else happens. If it does however then the pet will continue attacking it. If the hunter moves, say as to gain ground to use their bow, then the pet will stop their assault and follow the hunter attacking only when attacked. In this state the pet does NOT use any abilities that have been set to auto such as Growl.
Here’s some that are confusing. Not sure if bug or not.
- Delay in casting growl. Like if my pet gets to that mob, she seems to wait before growling. This might be part of the slow pet bug. If so, then okay. But if I attack the moment my pet hits their target, my pet is not tanking. Partially because it seems like most mobs are faster than they should be and outrun my pet. If I wait a moment to let pet hold aggro, then no problem.
- Damage was a previous concern. I’ve noticed a bump up in my pet’s damage on 5/23! Maybe it was a fix?! I’ve spoken with some other hunters and have gotten mixed responses! The fix seems about around a 15% damage increase.
Poster added, unsure if this is a bug or not as well.
I will add more as I find more! If you know of a bug, perceived non-bug, or “maybe a bug?” that I have yet to come across, please post it here and I will add it to my list!
If you know if Blizzard has or is addressing something on the lists here or know that what I have called a bug is not a bug please post your info here and I will change the thread accordingly!
Thanks again! Love you all and happy hunting!