Hunter Pet Taunts

I have the max rank for my pet and when it’s fighting something it doesn’t want to maintain threat as a tanking pet.

Thanks for the update.

I saw no question.

1 Like

I will often mangle my target. I occasionally drink some draenic water.

2 Likes

Pets don’t generate enough threat for you to go all out. Working as intended.

Even doing nothing but auto-shot can pull threat off your pet if your gear/stats/ammo is past a certain threshold (especially if crits occurs). Takes a bit of finesse & scaling back appropriately to solo Hunters at range with pet maintaining aggro 100%. You can still kill plenty fast at range. You can also go all-out & embrace finishing off your target with melee/traps as needed, which works great/fast also (especially as Survival spec).

Think of it as your pet telling you to conserve your mana.

2 Likes

Is your pet claw or bite? I’ve found certain pet abilities burn all the focus leaving none to growl with.

1 Like

Growl isn’t a taunt. It generates additional threat, but it doesn’t work like an actual taunt. Use Feign Death and Intimidation more.

I was under the impression that it was the other way around, where it IS a taunt, but only forces an enemy to attack it for so long.

I’m pretty sure it functions as a taunt in retail (and probably well before Shadowlands, I just don’t remember when it started) but if it’s supposed to work like a taunt in TBC then my pet is bugged beyond belief.

My understanding of what a taunt is (from BCish to Wrath era) is that it basically makes one’s threat equal to the current highest threat against the target (which is effectively a threat reset) and then usually it will force the mob to attack you for a short time regardless of who has the highest threat. Am I remembering that wrong? D:

Cast Misdirection on your pet idk?

Growl in TBC is absolutely not a taunt. It’s a zero damage attack with relatively high threat.

leggings that add 70 attack power to your pet might help, also did you spec all the pet focus talents including pet generating focus when you crit? does your pet have a focus dump with just a global cooldown?

problems solved.

Also growl is a threat generator, not a taunt. It does not force a target to attack it. Especially if you open with an aimed or arcane shot. without misdirection.

I never have issues for the most part while leveling (like currently doing).

Send in pet first
Start rotation
Cast intimidation for an interrupt or if mob charges me
Rinse/Repeat

It’s a 2 minute cool down? Should they wait 2 minutes for each mob while farming?

The lack of “tankability” is an issue when you’re fighting elites or named mobs. If you find yourself needing to fight your pet for threat you’re just zugging too hard on open world PvE.

Pet growl is just a melee distracting shot.

It’s an ability that generates threat.

It’s not like a warrior taunt.

Yes. That’s what I said.