Hunter Pet Name Issue

Why is it that I cannot name my Yellow Mechanotiger “Yellow” on my Hunter? I’ve been able to name all the other ones the colors that they are, but for some reason, Yellow is an “offensive” name. If it’s for the reason that I think it is, Activision/Blizzard needs to remove any and all color references to Black, Brown, Red, and White as well. (Are you people really THAT PC?)

1 Like

Blizzard…

Simply put, it can be seen as a derogatory remark towards certain race/races.

No, they don’t. Blizzard have to conform to the Rated Teen standard (ESRB/PEGI). As players, we are bound by the code of conduct.

17 Likes

Maybe your pet does not like being called a coward?

Other than that, I think Nephe pretty much nailed it.

1 Like

Not sure if it is true for pets, but characters already can’t use a lot of colors in names. Don’t see how being pc has anything to do with it, unless you think discouraging racist names is pc.

4 Likes

You definitely can’t use “Yellow” for a character’s name. You’ll get a warning if you try.

Have you considered using a variant of the color instead, like gilded, blonde, butter or sunshine to name a few off the top of my head. CS really can’t help you to bypass the filters of names though.

5 Likes

Great suggestions Kozzae!

There are a lot of names that are restricted or blocked not because they are strictly offensive however you may see a generic error indicating something of the kind. For example, titles are not permitted - Sir, Mr, Lord. These aren’t offensive, they’re just not permitted.

If you’ve encountered a name on the restricted list that you don’t agree should be, you can make a suggestion to the WOW team using the in-game suggestion form.

6 Likes

“Sir, Mr, Lord. These aren’t offensive, they’re just not permitted.”

So Blizz is sexist.

Those are considered titles, Scald, Dame/Madam, Ms/Mrs and Lady are equally not permitted.

11 Likes

I have named all my other Mechanotigers the respective colors that they are. If yellow can be considered a derogatory name by A/B, then I hereby request that all references to the colors YELLOW, BROWN, BLACK, WHITE, AND RED are removed from the game. Can’t be sexist, racist or derogatory now, can we? (I suggest you scan the name database sometime!) As soon as my 6 months for that idiotic flying boat that won’t float are up…

I think the confusion is that any blocked name returns the same message, and not the the word itself is derogatory in and of itself. It simply states that that name can not be used.

I actually thought that black and white are also blocked, but CS is not a suggestions forum, if you would like to see more use of colors blocked you can submit a suggestion via the in game help menu.

To be honest, you have to chose what you will do, there is nothing CS can help to alleviate your angst over this issue, nor help allow you to use any names that the developers have black listed in the client. Good luck with what ever you decide to do in the future.

9 Likes

Not how it works.

They have a reactive policy, not proactive. They don’t “patrol” names.

8 Likes

The difference is that Blizzard isn’t using the words in a derogatory or racist way. Players can’t use those words because Blizzard cannot guarantee they won’t use them in derogatory and racist ways. The only way they can guarantee that those words won’t be used inappropriately is to forbid them entirely.

Good luck in your future gaming endeavors.

5 Likes

Well, been on this game since Vanilla. PoE is looking quite nice, and Destiny 2 is finally seeing some love. And they’re as FTP as I want them to be.