Hunter Pet Macro using [known]

Can the conditional [known] be used to determine the icon shown?

#showtooltip
/use [known:Claw]Claw;[known:Smack]Smack;Bite

I would like an icon that shows Claw if my pet knows it, or Bite if not.
Instead, I get a greyed Claw Icon for my Pets w/o Claw

Try the spell id

some more testing.

Seems Buggy, I have 4 test pets, and results were … unexpected.

I have two new macros on my bar. One for Pet basic attack, and the other for the Pet spec ability.

As long as I enter the world without a pet things worked as I hoped, but only for the first pet…

-Enter the World w/o a pet out.
–both button icons are correctly just a ?
–both correctly do not invoke a spell.
-summon any pet.
–buttons correctly display the icon for the basic attack (Claw, Bite, Smack) and the spec ability (Master’s Call, Primal Rage, Fortitude of the Bear) my pet happens to know.
–buttons are correctly fully lit. (spell is available.)
–buttons correctly invoke Spells.

Things go south when I switch pets.

-Enter the World w/o a pet out
-summon a Pet who knows Primal Rage and Smack.
–as expected Primal Rage and Smack icons replace the ?.
-dismiss pet
–both icons are greyed out.
–This is expected as with no pet, those are “previously known skills” and no longer usable.
-summon a pet who knows Fortitude of the bear and Claw.
–strangely The Primal Rage icon is still there and greyed out, it should have been replaced with Fortitude of the bear.
–Not only is the icon not correct, but it can not invoke Fortitude of the bear either.
–The Claw icon has correctly replaced the Smack icon, and it works to cast Claw!.

#showtooltip
/use [known:Claw] Claw; [known:Smack] Smack; [known:Bite] Bite

#showtooltip
/use [known:Primal Rage] Primal Rage; [known:Master’s call] Master’s Call; Fortitude of the Bear

edit … tested with spellid and the experience was worse.
I confirmed these Spell id numbers using the idTIP app (wowhead lists multiple spellid for these)

#showtooltip
/use [known:264667] Primal Rage; [known:53271] Master’s Call; [known:264667] Fortitude of the Bear

This doesn’t really function at all. The button stays at the ? icon and will not execute anything regardless of what pet I use.

At least this works for the first pet.
#showtooltip
/use [known:Primal Rage] Primal Rage; [known:Master’s Call] Master’s Call; [known:Fortitude of the Bear] Fortitude of the Bear

Try putting them on separate lines if you can spare the extra characters

/use [known:Claw]Claw
/use [known:Smack]Smack
/use Bite

Use /cast Command Pet

Command Pet becomes Primal Rage, Fortitude of the Bear, and Master’s Call automatically when the applicable pet is summoned.

Using “known:pet attack” won’t work. No idea if it should work but it won’t work.

What you want to do is this:

1. Create the macro below
/cast [pet:Raptor/Rodent/Aqiri/Bird of Prey/lesser dragonkin/scorpid/tallstrider/spirit beast/crab/bear]Claw;[pet:Monkey/Moth/Sporebat/Gruffhorn/Scalehide/courser/wasp/clefthoof/gorilla/toad/stag/mammoth/oxen]Smack;[pet]bite
/petattack [pet]

There are nearly 60 hunter pet families. 10 use claw, 13 use smack, and the rest use bite, technically you need to identify 23 specific pet families and just have the last “;[pet]bite” for everything else. The “/petattack” is there to trigger the pet’s auto attack, which is separate from the basic attack. Side note, Animal Companion does not get a Basic Attack, it gets kill command, beast cleave, kill cleave, and the auto attack. The pet in your stable slot 1 just determines the appearance and not the skill set of the animal companion.

1. Put the macro on an action bar that is normally not visible. It really doesn’t matter where.

2. Use “/fstack” to identify the name of that action bar button. You will need to make the action bar temporarily visible to make this work. /fstack turns on the info window, hover mouse over the button, and you’ll see the name of that button, for example MultiBarBottomLeft4, then type in /fstack again to turn off the window (it’s really annoying to look at).

3. Now add “/click NameOfButtonFromFStack” like “/click MultiBarBottomLeft4” to the macros where you want that pet attack functionality to trigger from. The Basic Attack doesn’t interfere with your own casting (off the GCD), the only real value to this macro is that it eliminates a few seconds gap when the pet doesn’t use the basic attack at the start of combat. This should be an ability that you put on autocast and

If you really, really are desperate to see an icon you would need to specifically name the pet familes you normally carry. For example, I usually flip my “carried 5” between 6-7 pets which are some combination of a clefthoof, scalehide, lizard, aqiri, rodent, and spirit beast, so I can get away with:
/cast [pet:clefthoof/scalehide]smack;[pet:spirit beast/rodent/aqiri]claw;[pet]bite

1 Like