Hunter mosted played class?

It’s tough to tell anymore the breakdown in classes… I know in the past, hunter’s have been the most played class, or at least near the top. Anyone know if that’s about accurate?

Hard to say. Hunter is certainly a popular class, but the bulk of players also have Hunter alts, which skews the numbers. It might be the most played class, but if it is, not by a lot.

Not sure about present day, but early-mid Shadowlands, hunters were usually the 2nd most commonly played class overall, after Druids. These readings were taken by the wowranks website, where they compiled statistics based on the API, and seeing which covenant individual characters had chosen, and through this, also getting other data, such as chosen specs etc.

Blizz have since made changes so that it’s no longer possible to gather these numbers. As far as we know…

The “spread” within the hunter class back then was usually a 60/35 split between BM and MM(them trading places between one another), and the remaining 5% were SV hunters. The last reading I saw on that website had BM at roughly 58%, MM at 36%, and SV at 6%. Again, this was over a year ago, so can’t say anything about present day.

1 Like

I think it’s hard to find concrete data on this. Some websites don’t seem like they’ve been updated for years “Some still don’t even have DH on the class list” and others don’t show where they’re getting their data from.

It’s also a harder question to answer that it seems. What quantifies a “played class?” If I go and do a /who request for each class at max level on my realm, do I count people afking in Oribos and Stormwind?

Anyway, I’ve done just that over the course of months, because this is something I’ve been curious about myself. Taking all players at max level online at any given hour on my server, the consistently most populated classes are: Druid, Hunter, Paladin.

This doesn’t take into account which classes are actually seeing play in meaningful content, like M+, Raids, or PvP. Using the same /who method each hour as I did previously, Rogues were one of the least “played” often not even returning 50 results for level 60 players. Yet, if you do any BGs or Arena, you know rogues aren’t exactly an uncommon sight.

I think unless Blizzard releases the data themselves, it’s always just going to be speculation. But I think a reasonable guess would have Hunters somewhere in the top 3.

probably even more players have Druid alts for gathering, and druid is the only class that comes even close to Hunter in popularity.

Yes, BM is the most popular spec in the game by a large margin.

Alot of people have hunter alts, i would personally say it’s not mained by as many people as pre-legion though.
that expansion drove alot of people away (no i don’t just mean survival) the class changed massively and in alot of ways for the worse

2 Likes

Check logs

WOD was last expac I mained hunter. After they turned survival into melee and ruined marks further, I was done.

4 Likes

Legion class/order halls gave us a good eye test that metrics can’t replicate or hie behind. A dead class hall was not a good sign. You could almost do the same thing with covenants since it was optimal for most classes/specs to choose a specific covenant ability.

2 Likes

paladins and druids are the most played

1 Like

Well…polishing tooting horn I did get my first 2,500 HKs in the cities as a Hunter during Legion and continued to get 7,500 more in the class all the way to 9.2. Despite the pootastic trio xpacs of the borrowed power era(Leg-BFA-SL), I pulled through.

I’m now done because now, there’s no WPvP at all. The hunter is nothing without the hunt. And sadly this has nothing to do with the current class iteration!

I have to laugh because we’ll never get to see MSV in all of its “glory” except when they used to be grenadiers in 9.2. I don’t know if Mad Bombardier is supposed to come back as a set bonus, but once again Blizzard TRASHED SV spec. They gave a GOOD thing only to REMOVE it completely, because the mechanics that supported WFB’s are not quite there.

Most played class? Shoot, we had an excellent opportunity to make the best compromise between RSV and MSV. We’ve lost that.

It wasn’t a good compromise between RSV and MSV and many who played it found the mad bombardier playstyle to be toxic. 9.2 Hunter + borrowed power is a great example of how good damage doesn’t equal good design.

1 Like

Damage can always be tuned; I would have been fine spamming nades as a core rotation. I’m actually upset about most abilities that are non-inclusive to weapons at the moment. Just when I thought that RSV would be winning this year, I ate crow.

Mainly because it agitates me that Killshot is only DOABLE by a 2Her, and that Barrage is only doable by a ranged weapon. It’s not enough for Serpent Sting and I think Expshot to include both weapon types. It’s sad that the most important SV abilities are tied to having a 2H weapon DESPITE that anything that’s considered a SHOT attack should be done by ALL ranged weapons.

I was tinkering with it last weekend and I was disappointed in trying to use the Ranger talent. I can do “slightly better” damage with shots, but I can’t do KShot and have no synergy with grenades. I am not a happy chappy about that.

The only exception to this is strikes/bites and carves being just for 2H only and some shot attacks being just for ranged weapons only, but these would be just interchangeable to for RSV or MSV play.

No doubt this is classic Blue stupidity that need not be mentioned already. I’d gladly roll back to 9.2 SV for Retail as it was by far THE BEST iteration of post-Leg SV. Otherwise, I can go get my Tripple D’s right now in Wrath.

Yes and no. In that sense, the problem with both class halls and covenant sanctums is that they’re subject to phasing, the same phasing technology we see elsewhere in the world. You could enter Trueshot Lodge, and it would be completely empty of other players, only to join a group and be moved to a different phase/shard, and suddenly it was overcrowded of players.