Huge FPS drop after crash

WoW typically runs on graphics preset level 5 (with particle density increased to ultra) at 60 fps. I have a Dell XPS 15 running Windows 10.

When I logged in this morning, the game crashed after I attempted to load up a character. An error message appeared, but I don’t remember what it said (I wish I had taken a screenshot).

After loading WoW again, my resolution was changed from 1920x1080 to default. I changed the resolution back to 1920x1080, and the game was at 12-20 fps. I’ve messed with graphic settings, updated drivers/restarted my computer, reset the UI, and even uninstalled/reinstalled both battle.net and WoW. My fps sits at 15-24 fps unless I put everything to the absolute lowest settings at the default resolution.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Hey Gadvent,

Can you check to see if maybe the game got set to use the integrated graphics instead of the Nvidia gaming card?

• In-game hit Esc and go to System → Advanced
  • Check the Graphics Card setting at the bottom
  • If it’s set to Auto Detect or the Intel graphics, try changing it to the Nvidia card and then Apply.

If you need further help go ahead and post your DXDIAG

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. In the Run window type dxdiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DirectX window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and save it to your Desktop. Open the new dxdiag file with Notepad.
  5. In the posting section hit the </> button for “Preformatted text” then paste (Ctrl+V) the DXDIAG contents. That’ll make the information much more readable.

If you are unable to post this due to the length of the DXDIAG, please feel free to use pastebin.com and share the direct link with us instead. Use the </> button as well in order to share the link.

Been having real bad lag issues all afternoon today. Just checked the graphics per the above blue post and sure enough the game was set to auto detect and all of my graphics settings were at the highest setting, I usually have them at mid level.

Flipped it back to my Nvidia card and seems to be working fine again.

1 Like
 https://pastebin.com/2dbVEBG4

Hi all - Adding to this thread because I experienced the same thing. I crashed yesterday and ever since the game has been hovering between 2-10fps (where normally I get 45-60fps) I added the Pastebin link above in the hopes it can help the discussion and solve my issue as well.

I did the step of checking the graphics card, and it was set to auto-detect. I’ve since changed it to the Nvidia card, but it hasn’t resolved the issue.

Other steps I have taken, include: Fresh reinstall, scan and repair, running in compatibility mode, changing to DirectX legacy and then back again. I’ve been going through the FPS forums all day without a positive result.

I was experiencing terrible lag spikes and FPS drops and was about to just say screw it and not play, then i read this post and about the graphics setting re-set to auto detect. Changed mine back to Nvdia and wow cleared it right up. Thanks for the post

1 Like
Update on my above post

I tested my computer settings and graphics card on another game and it’s working fine. Looks like it’s just WoW that is having issues. :frowning:

https://pastebin.com/HdHV3nR9

Hello, I’m having the same issue, last night I crashed and when logged back the game is going from 3 to 10 fps. I checked the graphic card step and didn’t work, appreciate any answers.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Tazar - FPS issues