How would you change/buff brewmaster to prevent kiting?

Kiting isn’t fun to do. It takes you out of the fight and it stops you from hitting your buttons.

How would you change/buff brewmaster to stop the kite meta?

1 Like

Allow us to stagger more, closer to bfa levels. Endgame stagger was like 70% transfer. Shadowlands softcaps at like 35%.

More conversion to stagger = more focus on managing your purification. Our low heathpools and low armor would be fine if stagger was closer to 40-45%

I would like to a hp and armor buff. Or remove or increase the stagger cap.

Buff hp and armor if they are going to keep the current stagger cap.

Or hell, go back to the old brew system of Ironskin and Purify, it honestly worked better.

2 Likes

I do like celestial as an additional defensive, but in the current meta there just isnt enough uptime. It’s far more chunky than the old system.

You’re either taking chonk damage if you’re trying to facetank, or little if you’re kiting.*

If you overcap your celestial, you’re taking no damage during the huge shield, but once the wasted duration runs out, you’re just taking that regular / low 35% stagger again.

At least with the old system you could regulate your brews to have 100% uptime on iron skin.

We also had massive versatility buffs that smoothed out our damage taken to a more manageable curve.

*this is a M+ perspective, raiding normal and heroic are more smooth since heavy-hitting boss abilities are more regular in raids than buttpulling extra trash in a dungeon.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t because I enjoy it.

Every. Tank. Kites.

Yes. And. It feels bad.
I dont feel like a tank at high keys, I feel like my old hunter main. I’m not saying it’s mechanically wrong, but it doesnt really fit my class fantasy of a big beefy linebacker protecting my friends from harm.

5 Likes

You shouldnt be blowing CD’s pumping as much threat as humanly possible and running like a Bi*ch as a tank on most pulls.

I think if they made a few changes to celestial brew that would help a lot.

1. remove it from the gcd
  2. make it a partial absorb so it’s not an all or nothing affair
  3. since it’s a partial absorb it will take longer to be consumed so increase the duration

For a typical pug group you aren’t wrong but as you get higher and DPS starts capping out their damage then the only solution is to pull bigger and well… tank cooldowns don’t magically double in power if you group 2 pulls instead of 1 but the incoming damage sure does. So the solution is obviously to blow a major cooldown or kite.

Completely revert the spec to BfA as a hotfix, and start on a rework.

The brew system of active mitigation might have been frusterating to some, but it was very straightforward and easy to get the hang of. The brews set a rhythm for the fight and the only complaint was that ironskin was a button that needed to be pressed.

Make dave a talent again or let me talent out of dave. I dont want to have a pet ox… I can do that on my Pandaren hunter. Having Dave as a vital part of the tanking rotation is nauseating.

If we arent going to go back to a more BfA style of play, bring back on demand keg toss for threat generation and let us kite and smash kegs.

2 Likes

Never gonna happen with the current m+ meta, where mobs hit so hard you HAVE to kite to not wipe.

I really didn’t like ironskin brew. Hitting a button every 7 seconds felt unfun. I would even say that shuffle is pointless because it’s so baked it why not just have our stagger always be the value you get while shuffling?

1 Like

Give us a second celestial brew charge and increase how much of the shield pueifying gives us.

Increase armor and increase HP.

I’ve had the silly idea of uncapping stagger. At some point, it would roll so big that you would just die but I love the idea. They would probably have to make purifying brew a flat amount that scaled with stam, AP instead of being 50% of your current stagger. Also, let us stagger all damage not 35% of magic.

1 Like

Yeah they really need to increase the magic stagger. At least to like 50-60%. 35 is horrific.

It’s a much bigger issue in pvp with all classes doing a lot more magic damage. I think the other solution would be to treat all damage as damage and not have the physical/magical separation.

So what is unfun about it as a tanking mechanic? Tanking is pushing active mitigation buttons. On my warrior if I could keep shield block up at all times I would, If i had to spend rage to keep something up at all times and I didnt have enough rage, I would complain that I was rage starved.

Its not like you are going to go 7 seconds without pressing a button. The Brewmaster playstyle I like is the one that focuses on keeping drunk to mitigate damage.

Threat is meant to be a passive mechanic, according to Ion. Tanking is about the mitigation tools. The brew mechanic did a great job of focusing that for monks, thematically and mechanically. It was effective and brewmasters were everywhere.

It didn’t feel like active mitigation it felt like this is how the class should just be. It would be like if you had to press a buff to have your armor work as a warrior every 7 seconds. It’s not hard but it’s annoying to do. There was no reward for it.

I’ve thought about this before and it’s not easy to put into words because there are similar situations that don’t feel this way.

1 Like