How well does Guardian perform in Mythic +?

You may be confused because it doesn’t work the way you seem to think it does.

It’s not: remove borrowed power -> immediately get equivalent borrowed power to replace it.

It is: remove borrowed power -> spec is incomplete and doesn’t achieve equivalent functionality until close to the end of the expansion, if ever.

Hell, it’s going on 2 years since we lost Artifacts and Guardians still don’t have a replacement for the Thrash snare that got moved onto the Claws of Ursoc.

Edit: and as Tewa points out, most of the borrowed power in this expansion is shared between classes. That means classes that are fundamentally stronger will also have access to that power and the performance gap will never really close.

4 Likes

What bug?

It’s does exactly what it says it does.
If blizzard didn’t want it to stack, they would have put a cap in it. Simple as that. They haven’t. So it’s not a bug.
Just clever use of game mechanics.

Don’t be a sour puss just because we’re having more fun playing guardian than you.

Plus… SotW is just an hp boost.

The real star of the show here is Twilight devastation. 80-90% damage we do is from Stacking TD. That’s how we’re able to clear higher keys. Yes, SotW plays a part by increasing that damage, but Tank runs in m+ are still 100% possible without it.

As for stacking TD, all tanks are doing it. I completed standard comp KR this week where the paladin tank was pulling 65k overall dps. Absolutely nothing to do with SotW.

You got your panties in a twist over nothing.

Not really.

The biggest advantage of stacking a full raid/party full of bears is Ysera’s gift. 30x Ysera’s gift is massive hps. Constant passive healing going to exactly whoever needs it. It’s heal is percentage based. So again, SotW is irrelevant to this discussion, since the heal scales with our hp.

Great. Now our incarnation talent will transform into seal travel form with a land movement debuff of 40% for its duration, but you can customize your seal form appearance.

1 Like

The 3rd highest IO score tank on Raider IO is a Bear. Warriors have stronger physical mitigation and higher damage but Bear is very capable.

keep in mind he runs with a very specific group make up for the bear

He also didn’t have scores that high until 8.3, when corruptions came out and he magically became a much better player.

7 Likes

I deleted my bear a few weeks ago when I thought to myself “why play an inferior prot warrior in M+ when I can just play my prot warrior instead ?”

the answer isn’t “fun” because bear gameplay puts most players to sleep

SL will be about the same or likely worse

• laughable damage output with thrash dot rampup time
  • spending 50%+ of the time swiping
  • utility that you can’t use most of the time (e.g. resto affinity healing spells) or that simply is not available anymore (e.g. typhoon without affinity)
  • getting destroyed the moment your ironfur is down
  • waiting on the GCD to cast FR and then laughing to yourself at the non-existent healing granted
2 Likes

He was Rank 1 Bear in season 3 as well. If corruptions were the main reason for his success, why haven’t other bears risen to his level?

Because the so-called good bears would rather whine on the forums instead of doing a +30 that shows bears are more than adequate for 99% of the playerbase.

1 Like

laughable damage output with thrash dot rampup time

Bear damage was by no means low before Corruption. It will be fairly high in Shadowlands with Berserk and Thrash leggos.

spending 50%+ of the time swiping

This is annoying that it’s swipe, a fairly boring spell, but it;s appreciated that there is always somethign to press. That’s not true on all tanks.

getting destroyed the moment your ironfur is down

Greatly exaggerated outside of very high keys.

waiting on the GCD to cast FR and then laughing to yourself at the non-existent healing granted

As it stands, Bears are currently high healing tanks, and often outheal the healers in raw HPS.

Look… I’m gonna level here. Bears have issues. But Bear players largely make those issues worse by playing against design, and while I admit that is the fault of Blizzard and it’s poor balancing, the primary problems with Bear are being hidden by too many stats in the late game.

I’ve said here quite a bit that I don’t gear my bear normally, and I always mess with different layouts. I am very partial to dodge builds over vers builds, because vers is, by design, a bandaid stat that is there to fill in raw throughput. Its power as a stat also tends to scale exponentially, and the more of it you have, the more valuable it is.

This means late game/gear cycles, Vers tends to be overwhelming, and in the case of Bear Druids, who get most of our avoidance mitigation through crit, we end up sacrificing our designed play of high dodge meat shield into just an extra sturdy meatshield.

Primary bear concerns are lack of control. No slows, very little group control outside of talents. At least playstyle wise.

Mechanically, the concern is our high end survivability is lacking, and this is largely due to who powerful other peoples tools are, and not really how weak the Bears is. Mechanically, Stagger is broken. Block and critical block on warriors outperforms raw armor. And, because Bears have to sacrifice our avoidance for raw chonk (and all tanks do, at some point), the flaws in bear design really begin to come to the forefront when raw chonk stops being enough.

Standard practice in life is that small gaps in performance become large gaps in performance the harder things are pushed. There is no appreciable difference between bears, warriors, demon hunters, etc on 15-17+ keys, which is already more than 99% of people play.

Which is also another part of the problem. Blizzard balances for the majority.
Bears have more health than Warrior tanks, for instance. But warriors can slam down a DR shout on a consistent basis to help combat that.

Problem is, as content gets stronger and stronger, the balance shifts between more health and a DR should being roughly equal in nature to the DR getting more and more and more powerful the harder content gets.

Bears currently have a similar thing with Earthwarden, where it is extremely undervalue in low keys, but super powerful on high keys.

The trick to fixing bears for “most” people is to address the gameplay problems, I.E. lack of mob control. This is a relatively easy fix.

High end problems that stem from mechanics? Well, that’s a different beast entirely, but not really as pressing of a concern

5 Likes

This is probably the category I fit into. My hot list of issues includes ranged silence, AoE stun/cc, snare, DPS cooldown, Frenzied Regen off the GCD, casting in Bear form, make Maul interesting, make Crit useful.

You would think so, yet here we are. Still. :cry:

2 Likes

FR off GCD is a big one. Maul interesting is as well.

Again, I like odd builds. Rocking 80+ crit and nearly 60 dodge with everything procced feels good. I don’t feel powerful surviving a big melee smash. I feel powerful standing in stuff and never getting hit.

It’s just my preference of play.

But there is a noticable difference in feel when I run crit heavy builds. I can’t say it’s not useful, but it’s scaling drops off hard around the 40% mark.

But I’m also fairly casual in I never really sweat timing stuff. I like running with friends. Mine is not a competitive view point

But yes.

The little things, a slow, FR, maul… they should be fixed. It’s annoying they aren’t.

I did a 14 TOS pretty easy. Idk I think Guardian is doable in the 20+

Rank 1 bear doesn’t mean much, compare it to other tanks.

Before essences & corruption, he didn’t do much.
With essences, he started being able to do quite well.
With corruption, he started to do amazingly well.

Have there been bear fixes?

No.

So what changed? Either it magically became an amazing player within the space of a few months, or corruptions & essences are far more important than what class you’re playing.

Looking forward to seeing Shadowlands season 1, although I have a pretty good idea what’s going to happen.

3 Likes

Did you do it without corruption and essences? Because otherwise it’s those accessory systems doing the work, not your class. And that’s exactly where we’re headed in a few months when all the wallpaper that’s been covering the cracks gets ripped off again.

5 Likes

They all rerolled to other tanks. Honestly people defending bears in 8.3 is hysterically funny, please let me know how your +20 key goes during pre-patch.

6 Likes

I mean… Arguably, nobody should be doing +20s during prepatch, but even if there are, it’s now for an outdated scaling system for no reason. Dead content.

Doing +20s for season 1 of Schlands should be a while as well, as gear catches up to new content on the first expansion, arguably the hardest time for gearing.

Oh no. Off the top of my head I have two TD, a vers amp and a mastery amp I think. But I agree. It’s going to be weird. For every class I’d imagine

I would agree with this statement.

The highest bear in Season 1 & 2 was Lipkiss in Korea, and all the “bear is fine” people used to point at him and say “See? Lipkiss proves bear is fine!!!”

And then raider io did an interview with him and he said, nah, bear has tons of problems and needs fixes, I’m just too stubborn to switch characters.

And then all the “see? Lipkiss proves bear is fine!” chatter stopped. How strange!

5 Likes

I mean, again, there’s a difference between the norm and the very high end.

Blizzard doesn’t balance for the best.

This isn’t saying Bears don’t have issues.

But it is saying they care less about bears being unable to do the top of the top if they can do most content.

It sucks, but you aren’t going to get balance that tight