How was the Symbiosis spell in Mists?

Am I the only person that misses shrooms (mostly for the wild charge)?

I still have shroom macros (now with just sad question marks…)

I played a lot of fmage/boomy 2s and fmage/boomy/disc 3s, so mirror images with the mage or giving the priest clone (and getting md in return).

Boomy/aff was fun too with unending resolve.

S15 was a hell of a lot of fun.

1 Like

I loved it, and really miss it lol. I used to use sym on random people in BGs for fun random spells. It was neat

1 Like

Mained Resto/Balance druid for a significant portion of MOP and really loved symbiosis. Cloak of Shadows from Rogues or Unending resolve from Warriors were neat as Boomy. You could get a lot of fun stuff as resto too like Leap of Faith or Demonic Circle or really powerful things like Ice block (among many other defensive CDs) I think there was a fight were getting Cleanse from Paladins as an extra dispel came handy too.

I was pretty sad when it went away, it was easily one of my favorite abilities ever- But I mean it was obviously busted I can’t really deny that so in a way I understand…

1 Like

My top memory of magic mushrooms was from Blizzcon that year.

There was a class design panel, and somebody asked what possible use mushrooms were for bears.

One of the class designers said it would be useful, for example, if you were tanking in a room that had adds streaming in from multiple directions, you could pop the mushrooms to grab aggro on them.

It was at that moment that I realized nobody at Blizzard plays a bear tank, since popping mushrooms shifted you out of bear form.

3 Likes

I remember it being a mixture of cool and worthless (from a PVE standpoint). I loved getting Mirror Images from mages while I used Incarnation so that I could have one armored moonkin and three normal moonkin. I also played a mage, and getting Healing Touch on a 6 second cooldown was not a great trade.

1 Like

While the merits of being op or not depending on circumstance can be debated…what I liked about this and other things MoP was the unique idea behind it…its stood out made great concepts and gimmicks for the class, because almost every class in MoP had some off the wall gimmick and I loved it. It has felt more stale now using “borrowed power”.

2 Likes

This seems to be the consensus. For balance players that mirror image had to be amazing but the skills just don’t seem worth it.

I agree and I regret that I didn’t get to use it. I wouldn’t mind seeing something like that in the future but only if it’s done properly.

Symbiosis, heart of the wild, and displacer beast gave me the most fun gaming experience I’ve ever had in Warcraft, I really miss those days.

As much as I absolutely loved symbiosis, i can see why it was removed though. It was just too hard to balance around,

The Azerite essence “formless void” had promise as a symbiosis type gameplay but the cast time needed every time you refresh it really hurts the viability of it. I think the increased 30% cool down is enough of a drawback, I don’t see why tot also needs to be hard cast every time to borrow someone’s essence.

1 Like

Formless void Essence is like symbiosis but much more clunky. In fact, the major effect buff is called “symbiotic presence” or something like that.

I think if they took away the cast time to copy someone’s essence and made it instant it could be very viable.

1 Like

I don’t even remember that azerite trait.

Most don’t. The game has sadly often been about what boils down to most dps or most hps output.

I’m not saying it’s a great essence, but in a bigger raid group you can use it to do massive damage for burn phases (borrow essence from a dps) while borrowing healer essences for hps output or mana regen.

It had a lot of potential but I think blizz made it have too many drawbacks, it needs to be refreshed after every use and has a 30% increase in base cool down. I think one or the other would’ve been sufficient,

Man there were so many good uses as resto!

Priest gave you lifegrip and them cyclone or tranquility
Dk, monk, and hunter gave you another dmg reduction cool down
Mage gave us ice block

Many others that I’m forgetting but I had a list I came up with with my preferred classes by raid boss.

I get sad every time I think about not having it anymore.

1 Like

At the time my wife and I had a giant stable of alts, so we definitely had fun with it from a casual standpoint. I’d love to see it back in some form.

2 Likes

I remember wanting to put it on a warlock for life tap – the warlock got rejuv in return.