How viable are Prot Paladins in TBC?

If TBC is released I was wondering how viable a protection paladin would be in dungeon and raids. I’ve heard they are god tier in dungeons but in raids they are consider off-tanks? If that’s the case then that’s PERFECT for me going into TBC!

• Also what profession would be ideal? I was thinking Enchanting/Jewelcrafting for the ring enchants and better gem sockets…

• My goal going into TBC is playing support, I thought about holy but healing has never been my best position and I’ve become burnt out with DPS from Vanilla…

3 Likes

Great in dungeons.

Great as off-tanks in raids for big trash pulls. If you don’t have a prot paladin for Hyjal…you’re gonna have a bad time.

11 Likes

That’s exactly what I like to hear!
Thanks!

1 Like

They’re good. And not just “good” in the same way some people say they are “good” in Classic; actually good.

Leatherworking, for sure. Enchanting is good; Jewelcrafting doesn’t really offer any unique benefits for a long time, and it doesn’t require you to stay Jewelcrafting. Granted, neither does Enchanting, so once you get what you want out of those professions, you could swap.

Engineering is good for snap AoE threat via bombs.

If you don’t want to swap, the best would definitely be Leatherworking and Enchanting.

That’s… definitely not what Prot Paladin is. You’re going to be playing a pretty key role in dungeons or raids. You aren’t there to just support everyone else.

1 Like

Awesome feed back thanks!
I guess when I meant as “Support” I mean as in not the main tank or strictly a DPS class. Though I suppose a Ret paladin could be consider support also with its refreshing of judgments etc… That is kind of actually exciting that Prot could be consider “essential” and not the meme that is ATM!

I’ve heard Leatherworking is the main raiding profession because of those damned drums! If I had to choose them then I guess enchanting until I start racking up the gold with all the farming I do…

Yeah, they’ll be great off-tanks. Just be careful not to outshine the main-tank if you’re not comfortable in that role, because a Prot Paladin can fill it pretty easily on most fights.

4 Likes

Prot Paladins are great in TBC. Tbh, the only things they were lacking in Classic was real itemization for defense and taunt.

Itemization. Check
Taunt. Check

Viable tanks for most (if not all) content. Check

TBC fixed that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

CHEERS, Then TBC should be a blast! :smiley:

If we get 2.43 itemization they will be the best MT in the game from day 1. If we don’t they won’t take that spot till BT.

2 Likes

Tbc is indeed a blasty blast.

1 Like

Hopefully we start at 2.0

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind that, give the game more of a challenge instead of possible nerfed content!

1 Like

Paladin tanks can tank everything well in BC, They have a little harder time gearing prebis to become unchrushable, but it’s not too bad. They are the AOE tank kings by far but have the weakest single target threat, "it’s still good enough"It also doesn’t matter since hunters should be misdirecting you. Most of the BC 10 mans i’ve seen take a druid, and a pally and no warriors. You will be by a far margin the most popular tanking class in BC. I’d rather have a bear with hugh EH and armor and an unchrushable aoe king personally.

1 Like

Their threat will be fine since kings spam is a thing that no one knew about 15 years ago.

1 Like

Threat literally doesn’t matter with hunter misdirection and standard tank rotation. Won’t need to waste the g on kings spam meme

1 Like

Not only that but the classes that can out threat a tank also have threat dumps. Just have to count to 5 before blowing CDs and going ham so the tank can establish threat.

1 Like

Don’t even need to do that. Fight starts with a couple chain misdirects and dps can go ham.

1 Like

You’re a dungeon god, you have a spot as a good offtank - king of trash tanking (Muru adds, and hyjal waves 100%). You come out as very strong tanks in Kara and ZA, you can tank more bosses just fine than not.

You’re not as strong as a tank as a prot warrior, not wrath level powerful…but you’ll be in demand as a tank

That is barely comparable to standard rotations for Ferals and Protection Warriors even when there’s 10+ of a class in one raid to spam Kings on. In BC, GBoK spam won’t be enough threat to be worth doing.

Prot Paladins are going to be the GOATs of TBC, I’m calling it now.

1 Like