How to turn on Ray Tracing if your Settings is broken

Any specific areas we should test? I’ve found major performance penalties in duskwood/Elwynn so I’d expect other ‘forest’ areas to have issues.

I had to adjust the config file. I run W10 2004, 2080 Super, latest drivers. Still told me my hardware couldn’t support it. Enabling the setting in the config directly sets the RT level but the other levels still show disabled in-game.

Weird stuff.

Are there any improvements for users using 1080ti or other non-ideal RTX gpus that don’t use ray-tracing, that are using Dx12 and W10 v2004?

The 1080ti seems to be a card that support ray tracing, yet it is not possible to use ray tracing in wow despite latest windows and drivers.

1 Like

I had a similar issue as well! What would happen to me is that I would have the RTX on, and when I would go to a different location such as outside Boralis or getting in the middle of Suramar the game would froze and the RTX setting gets disabled, as well as the graphics card setting which goes to “auto detect”. When I choose my graphics card (RTX 2080 Ti) the game froze and gives me a similar error with the memory corrupted and then I have to close the game. Also after the first froze, the RTX shadow setting only works when I select the specific graphics card in the setting, when its on “auto detect” it says that I dont have a RTX graphics card. But when I log in, the RTX setting works on “auto detect”.

Are you on Windows 10 2004? If not it’s not supported as they are using the 1.1DXR api.

Yeah I was looking up and 1080ti can use ray-tracing, already capped at 60fps cause of this ‘13 monitor I have.

For me, ray tracing does not seem to be worth the hit to FPS in its current form. I have an i9 9900k and RTX 2080ti. All settings maxed out, and flying high above the trade district in Stormwind, I have 120 fps. When I turn ray tracing to high, I have 48 FPS. And the visual difference is minor to me. Its worse still in the forests of Duskwood, where my FPS drops to the mid-30s. Borralus is also in the 40 FPS range.

I can’t see how this will be workable with the hardware that most use to play. And for me, playing at well over 100 FPS in most content is much more preferable to 40 FPS with minor lighting improvements.

2 Likes

I installed the windows 10 2004 version yesterday. I might try to repair or reinstall the PTR to see if it still frozes the game or if it gives me the error when using the RTX Shadows.

Same here, the shadows are pretty amazing. I didn’t feel a performance hit on my desktop running the 2080TI/i9 processor but on my laptop using a graphics amplifier and a 2070 Super/i7 processor I had the fan spinning more.

Just enabled it on the PTR client and even though the menu won`t allow me to change it in game the RTX shadows are working on a RTX 2060.
Shadows look “softer” hopefully they ll add too it in the future but currently nothing amazing really from it

Same here, the shadows are pretty amazing. I didn’t feel a performance hit on my desktop running the 2080TI/i9 processor but on my laptop using a graphics amplifier and a 2070 Super/i7 processor I had the fan spinning more.

I am curious about what, if any, overclock settings you employ on your desktop. I did not have a similar experience. Thanks.

I am using the Overclock 1 profile from Alienware (A51 R5). It is not a heavy OC setting, RAM is not tuned with this profile but CPU and Video Card are.
As far as CPU, no voltage changes but CPU is set to 4.6GHz. GPU is set to 100% Power limit and 84 degrees Celsius thermal limit. Memory and core clock are both at 0MHz on the GPU. As far as temps go, the CPU is never above 61 Celsius and GPU never goes past 60 - 63 Celsius

i9-7980XE CPU
64GB RAM
RTX 2080TI - only modification I did is got rid of the original cooling method and currently liquid cooled

1 Like

I am using the Overclock 1 profile from Alienware (A51 R5). It is not a heavy OC setting, RAM is not tuned with this profile but CPU and Video Card are.
As far as CPU, no voltage changes but CPU is set to 4.6GHz. GPU is set to 100% Power limit and 84 degrees Celsius thermal limit. Memory and core clock are both at 0MHz on the GPU. As far as temps go, the CPU is never above 61 Celsius and GPU never goes past 60 - 63 Celsius
i9-7980XE CPU
64GB RAM
RTX 2080TI - only modification I did is got rid of the original cooling method and currently liquid cooled

Thanks for the info. We have a very similar set up, so I think it must come down to your i9-7980XE. I have an i9-9900K. I’m not really too knowledgeable about these types of things, but perhaps your processor has better performance due to the number of cores. My CPU is currently set to 5.1GHz, and from what I’ve read the 9900k gets slightly higher FPS in many/most games. The results are surprising to me because I thought WoW did not really make full use of extra cores - notwithstanding any improvements in BFA.

Don’t get me wrong, the game is playable, but I can’t justify choosing ray tracing over high FPS. I could deal with anything above 60, as the difference is not too noticeable to me beyond that point, but right now without RTX on I can consistently get 144+ FPS, which syncs up with my monitor nicely and makes for a smooth experience. Dropping to the 30-70 range outdoors is a steep penalty.

And its all the more frustrating because I can use RTX in games like COD without issue.

1 Like

After updating my windows 10 partition to version 2004, and installing the latest Geforce drivers from Nvidia, the options to turn on RT Shadows are present and available, but changing them does nothing, even when using the console to manually set the cvar.

I’m using an RTX 2060 and the game is set to use DirectX 12 as the graphics API.

1 Like

Not working even if I updated my Windows to Version 1909 and Nvidia Driver 8/17/20. Still can’t pick ray tracing in PTR client.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19041.450 (2004/May 2020 Update)
Nvidia Driver 452.06 (17-Aug-2020)

Verified with GPU-Z that Ray Tracing is showing as an option.

Can not get either PTR or Beta to change settings via drop-down and changing the Config.wtf file has no affect in game.

Anyone know how to verify DXR 1.1 is installed and working? I realize it should be via the OS update, however, I’d just like a sanity check.

Is it a typo that you updated to 1909? The blue posts are specifying Windows 10 2004.

I had to go to the Microsoft website in order to download the 2004 update. It wouldn’t show up in the windows update panel no matter how many times I rebooted or told it to check for updates.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If your computer isn’t showing the Windows 10 2004 update in Windows update, don’t install it. There are known issues and Microsoft won’t push it if there’s concerns.

I know people are excited about ray traced shadows, I am too, but this particular update has been extra slow rolling out for good reason. My work computer had to be re-imaged recently due to problems that started after updating to 1909 (and 2004 is less stable); those problems included blue screens of death.

Here is a list of known issues from the Microsoft website:

Make sure that your computer doesn’t have any of the known issues before you install the 2004 update.