How to turn on Ray Tracing if your Settings is broken

Now just got to get the servers stable and have character lists to load.

I lose about 20 FPS when I turn on ray-traced shadows, but it doesn’t really look any better. There is also no FPS difference between low, fair and high.

2 Likes

Has anyone else been getting background errors showing:

This application has encountered a critical error:
ERROR #123 (0x8510007b) This memory block has been corrupted by an out-of-bounds memory write.

Program: \wow install location_ptr_\WowT.exe
ProcessID: 8864
ThreadID: 8508
File:
\wow install location again\BuildServer\WoW\2\work\shared-checkout\branches\wow-patch-9_0_1-branch\Storm\Source\SMemMalloc.cpp
Line: 1684

Memory corrupted –
same file path as above up to \wow-patch-9_0_1-branch\Engine\Gx\src\GxApi.cpp 419

Press OK to terminate the application.

The game doesn’t actually crash; it just flashes to desktop, generates that error, and then the game is still playable afterward but RTX seems to be disabled after the program loses focus and the error is generated. Seems to be tied to using RTX since it doesn’t happen otherwise, amount of time varies before it happens but it’s happening reliably every time I run the game. Running a 2080 Super on 452.06 drivers, RT shadows set to High in game. Had it happen on the new starting island area with new characters, and in Boralus with copied ones, so it doesn’t seem location specific.

/edit: Edit to say that this does not happen on the beta client as I was playing tonight, I only experience it on the PTR. For people looking at the performance hit, performance also seems to be significantly better on beta, but I didn’t test that in a lot of different areas.

1 Like

Any word on mac support? Coming at some point, or perhaps not at all if Metal isn’t compatible?

I was actually quite disappointed with the performance penalty. It was hard to find all but a few places that DXR seemed to have an effect.

• Reflections: Not yet supported. Still improperly reflecting through objects that would block light (Used the bridge under boralus looking towards the catwalk, the catwalk should block reflections of the arch it does not), this can be solved without DXR.
  • Shadows: Elwynn forest destroys performance even on a 2080 with ‘fair’ settings. This is likely due to the global illumination, that should optimized.

Overall… it’s there… but I didn’t see anything spectacular to write home about yet. I look forward to rev 2.0

1 Like

To summarize, testing ray tracing in the Shadowlands Beta requires that you:

• Use DirectX 12,
  • have a GPU that supports DirectX Raytracing Tier 1.1, with the latest drivers installed and used, and
  • have the May 2020 update for Windows 10, version 2004.
1 Like

Any specific areas we should test? I’ve found major performance penalties in duskwood/Elwynn so I’d expect other ‘forest’ areas to have issues.

I had to adjust the config file. I run W10 2004, 2080 Super, latest drivers. Still told me my hardware couldn’t support it. Enabling the setting in the config directly sets the RT level but the other levels still show disabled in-game.

Weird stuff.

Are there any improvements for users using 1080ti or other non-ideal RTX gpus that don’t use ray-tracing, that are using Dx12 and W10 v2004?

The 1080ti seems to be a card that support ray tracing, yet it is not possible to use ray tracing in wow despite latest windows and drivers.

1 Like

I had a similar issue as well! What would happen to me is that I would have the RTX on, and when I would go to a different location such as outside Boralis or getting in the middle of Suramar the game would froze and the RTX setting gets disabled, as well as the graphics card setting which goes to “auto detect”. When I choose my graphics card (RTX 2080 Ti) the game froze and gives me a similar error with the memory corrupted and then I have to close the game. Also after the first froze, the RTX shadow setting only works when I select the specific graphics card in the setting, when its on “auto detect” it says that I dont have a RTX graphics card. But when I log in, the RTX setting works on “auto detect”.

Are you on Windows 10 2004? If not it’s not supported as they are using the 1.1DXR api.

Yeah I was looking up and 1080ti can use ray-tracing, already capped at 60fps cause of this ‘13 monitor I have.

For me, ray tracing does not seem to be worth the hit to FPS in its current form. I have an i9 9900k and RTX 2080ti. All settings maxed out, and flying high above the trade district in Stormwind, I have 120 fps. When I turn ray tracing to high, I have 48 FPS. And the visual difference is minor to me. Its worse still in the forests of Duskwood, where my FPS drops to the mid-30s. Borralus is also in the 40 FPS range.

I can’t see how this will be workable with the hardware that most use to play. And for me, playing at well over 100 FPS in most content is much more preferable to 40 FPS with minor lighting improvements.

2 Likes

I installed the windows 10 2004 version yesterday. I might try to repair or reinstall the PTR to see if it still frozes the game or if it gives me the error when using the RTX Shadows.

Same here, the shadows are pretty amazing. I didn’t feel a performance hit on my desktop running the 2080TI/i9 processor but on my laptop using a graphics amplifier and a 2070 Super/i7 processor I had the fan spinning more.

Just enabled it on the PTR client and even though the menu won`t allow me to change it in game the RTX shadows are working on a RTX 2060.
Shadows look “softer” hopefully they ll add too it in the future but currently nothing amazing really from it

Same here, the shadows are pretty amazing. I didn’t feel a performance hit on my desktop running the 2080TI/i9 processor but on my laptop using a graphics amplifier and a 2070 Super/i7 processor I had the fan spinning more.

I am curious about what, if any, overclock settings you employ on your desktop. I did not have a similar experience. Thanks.

I am using the Overclock 1 profile from Alienware (A51 R5). It is not a heavy OC setting, RAM is not tuned with this profile but CPU and Video Card are.
As far as CPU, no voltage changes but CPU is set to 4.6GHz. GPU is set to 100% Power limit and 84 degrees Celsius thermal limit. Memory and core clock are both at 0MHz on the GPU. As far as temps go, the CPU is never above 61 Celsius and GPU never goes past 60 - 63 Celsius

i9-7980XE CPU
64GB RAM
RTX 2080TI - only modification I did is got rid of the original cooling method and currently liquid cooled

1 Like

I am using the Overclock 1 profile from Alienware (A51 R5). It is not a heavy OC setting, RAM is not tuned with this profile but CPU and Video Card are.
As far as CPU, no voltage changes but CPU is set to 4.6GHz. GPU is set to 100% Power limit and 84 degrees Celsius thermal limit. Memory and core clock are both at 0MHz on the GPU. As far as temps go, the CPU is never above 61 Celsius and GPU never goes past 60 - 63 Celsius
i9-7980XE CPU
64GB RAM
RTX 2080TI - only modification I did is got rid of the original cooling method and currently liquid cooled

Thanks for the info. We have a very similar set up, so I think it must come down to your i9-7980XE. I have an i9-9900K. I’m not really too knowledgeable about these types of things, but perhaps your processor has better performance due to the number of cores. My CPU is currently set to 5.1GHz, and from what I’ve read the 9900k gets slightly higher FPS in many/most games. The results are surprising to me because I thought WoW did not really make full use of extra cores - notwithstanding any improvements in BFA.

Don’t get me wrong, the game is playable, but I can’t justify choosing ray tracing over high FPS. I could deal with anything above 60, as the difference is not too noticeable to me beyond that point, but right now without RTX on I can consistently get 144+ FPS, which syncs up with my monitor nicely and makes for a smooth experience. Dropping to the 30-70 range outdoors is a steep penalty.

And its all the more frustrating because I can use RTX in games like COD without issue.

1 Like