How to obtain the last item level gear?

The highest item level gear I checked was in Mythic Raid and it’s 485. Can you obtain 485 gear through PvP or is raiding the only way?

Thanks!

The highest ilvl gear you can obtain in PvP currently is 475. 485 is only available through Mythic Ny’alotha.

Can a fully geared 475 player beat a fully geared 485 player in PvP? If both had the highest gear one from PvP the other one from PvE?

If somebody is getting 475 gear from PvP, that means they are 2400 rated at a minimum. To get to that rating requires top level play and many many hours of practice against other players, which teaches them strategies and the intricacies of not only their class in PvP, but all the classes that they play against. They will know how to counter big damage and how to avoid defensive moves in order for theirs to properly land. When to attack and when to pull back. In PvE you learn how to kill scripted bosses. In PvP you learn how to kill unscripted fights against players. A max geared arena player would beat a max geared mythic raider in most cases.

It is worth noting as well that 485 only drops off of the last two bosses in Mythic, the rest of the raid drops 475. It will therefore be impossible to fully gear out with 485 gear, so in reality, the ilvl between the two will be closer than you might think. 485 dropping for the last two bosses is a small bonus for Mythic Raiders to differentiate them for being able to defeat the hardest PvE content the game offers in patch 8.3.

That being said, pvp in this game is balanced around 3v3 arena, so if it’s a 1v1 duel or open world fight things can be a lot more heavily influenced and effected by which classes are dueling.

Important note

This is not to say PvE players are bad in any way. PvE at the highest level takes it’s own large amount of skill to pull off as well. Just saying in the context of this question that if one person only pve’s and one person only pvp’s, the pvper will have the advantage for that type of content.

This is also not to say that some players don’t do both forms of content. Trill is the most well known example in that he not only plays at the top level in Arena World Championship, but also plays at the top level in Mythic Dungeon International, as well as is a raider for Complexity Limit, which has multiple world first Mythic raid kills.

1 Like

Ahh Ok Haha I cant raid due to time constraints, its difficult for me to choose at what time to be online.

So in this case if I just did PvP I would be able to enjoy the game and gear myself up without having to think that I had to raid correct? that is I can choose PvP as my main form of game-play to advance in the game?

Raiding is just another option that presents itself in case you are interested in playing WoW in that way? Like if one day you log in and someone makes a group to raid and you join it or through your guild? You are not forced to raid to see the game or to be competitive in PvP?

At this point in the cycle of the patch and expansion, you would need to do some form of PvE in order to catch up on gear to be able to PvP successfully. The most efficient way to gather high end gear in game is by doing Mythic+ dungeons.

You can choose to just PvP if you want to, however at the moment the gear you get at the lower end will limit how far you’ll be able to get. Even just queueing a few casual games around 1600 rating this weekend with some friends we were regularly seeing people at 470 and higher item level in our games.

With shadowlands right around the corner, you might be better off just preparing yourself for the new expansion. Leveling characters you think you might want to play, farming for mounts or transmogs, etc. Once the 9.0 prepatch hits (likely around the beginning of next month), the current season will be over and you will not be able to push for rating until Shadowlands Season 1 begins a couple weeks after the expansion launches.

At that point will be the perfect time to get into the swing of things though as everyone will be running roughly equal gear.

In order to see the game’s story to completion you would need to raid, but you have the option of doing LFR (Looking For Raid) if you want the easiest version of the raid just to see the story. This is available as a queue that you do not have to actually be in a pre-formed raid group to participate in. You press a button in the same way as if you were queueing for a dungeon while leveling.

Alright thanks for the help with all this I was starting to find it difficult to move around in the game. I know now what I want to invest more time in and what other things should be secondary.

Thanks, peace!

2 Likes