How To Move Blizzard Games To Mobile PROPERLY

You can have 64-bit and 32-bit apps compiled to run on on both x86 and ARM instruction sets.

So then there’s no need to go to mobile.

Just be x64.

The new Raspberry Pis have 64bit ARM chips now…

Why put in unnecessary grunt work into developing for gimped PCs with the same thing when we can have the existing stuff work better and display better

The existing stuff unfortunately hasn’t been making much progress since 2012 and is only great for desktops. But running WoW on a laptop feels like carrying around a portable space heater, the heat itself effectively makes it run slower.

Good solid advice mate but I would argue that moving from a PC/console model to a mobile platform is a terrible business decision.

I personally do play mobile games, Honkai Impact and Genshin Impact are great games save for the wretched gacha gambling boxes. Story is good, game play solid. That said, I don’t have a $1200.00 cell phone to run genshin on. I run it on my PC. Why? Because GI is virtually unplayable on lower grade/older cell phones.

Which brings me to my point. Most people don’t have the kind of cash for “gaming” mobile phones. Which means Blizz would have to take a nose dive in the quality of their graphics, videos, music etc. The only things Blizz is still recognized for doing right.

Factor in the general attitudes of the bulk of their audience and this a bad sale. As others have said “Don’t.”

That being said, people who like anime girls and other strangeness should totally hit up HI. The first 15 chapters of game content or so is free and has a really good story… imo. :smiley:

It’s more because the code is unoptimized. If it’s destroying proper PCs your mobile or raspberry PIs would rage quit at the first sign of trouble

If Blizzard plans on supporting the M2 iMacs, then this will be resolved anyway.

Nah. They’re not motivated to optimize code. That’s the reason. They’re doing it slowly over time but part of the appeal to WoW is that it runs on older computers they’re waking up too late to realize that.

It’s an outdated engine which will require a LOT of work to make it better.

There’s no need really to optimize so long as the code compiles and runs. Intel chips really do carry a lot of baggage from 80s IBM PCs they still are backwards compatible with in some respects, like you can still boot to DOS from a floppy on a modern machine.

True.

But where’s the advantage in porting WoW to a mobile type system? How would you even handle 15+ keybinds without gimping the system?

What are the gains other than “Hey you can now play on mobile”?

Easy, players require mouse and keyboard to play. So effectively it becomes a PC game in a different form factor.

You’re making it very hard to sell this idea to people. The whole point of mobile is portability. People would not expect to carry a mouse and keyboard for WoW wherever they go.

Don’t see why they wouldn’t. They already have native builds for M1 macs. This means I can play on a new 2021 iPad Pro. I don’t even need a USB to Lightning convertor. Just use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The M2 devices won’t require a new build.

I believe in 9.1, Blizzard is going to support Windows on Arm with a native build.

To be honest, i would be offended if they make another blizz Ip game for a phone.

I would like to have something to play on my phone.

How To Move Blizzard Games To Mobile PROPERLY

Step 1: Don’t.

1 Like

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/windows-10-arm64-support-now-available/961628

1 Like

kek.

Yep, had a feeling they already had a mobile build of the game.

Well if they use Metal (macos and ios) and DirectX (windows), switching to ARM is really just a compiler change. Android will take more work though.

Now that I think of it, even the latest consoles use RISC based CPUs I believe. X86 might be having problems because the BIOS really hasn’t changed much since:

I’ll crank my settings sometimes down to lowest so my laptop stops eating through the battery within an hour. Game gets jittery easily once the thing starts to overheat, laptop coolers actually give you significant performance boosts.

I know exactly what you mean. I just wish they made wireless HDMI displays or something that you could connect to your desktop using your phone or tablet as a display. Yes, I know there are options for this but they all look awful picture quality wise. Wonder how they wirelessly transmit public television over the airwaves in 1080p with low latency :thinking: