How to get over walk-up fear?

I dunno why this is even an issue I have… I mean why would anyone even be on an RP server, sitting in a corner, if they weren’t fine with walk ups? Almost everyone has “walk-ups welcomed” in their trp as well… but I just find myself afking in the corner. I can never think of something interesting enough to walk up with, other than “hey”.

Any ideas?

3 Likes

You could try emoting an action you are performing by yourself, e.g. eating a sandwich, reading a book, playing with a gadget. See if anyone responds. It gives other players a ‘hook’ or a reason to approach you. That way, you’re taking initiative without interrupting others or looking foolish or awkward.

7 Likes

I am trying to roleplay as a new DK, so I’m trying to find something that… fits? I know my character should be a character first over the DK part, but I still am having issues finding something that fits more into a DK style

1 Like

i honestly don’t know, but if you ever figure it out, let the rest of us know because we socially anxious nerds are dyin out here

18 Likes

Hullo! DK RPer here, though admittedly Mirch is a little more animated than most, but you can still perform some actions.

Perhaps you’re inadvertantly staring unblinkingly - and possibly blankly - in someone’s direction? Perhaps your armor needs some adjustment and you’re trying to fix it (I doubt it needs to be said but avoid anything around the, uh…belt area…). Maybe a mischievous gnome has sent a harmless but annoying little bot after you and it’s tormenting you!

Maybe someone is having a really nice meal and you really miss being able to enjoy one yourself so you’re just eyeballing it hardcore. Maybe you got caught in a daydream and inadvertently freeze the air and ground around you. Maybe your DK is an artist and they’re sketching people as they sit and enjoy their meals, or walking by!

5 Likes

Thanks for all the ideas - I am trying to remind myself that my character is a character first before a DK

4 Likes

Move to WrA horde thats how.

Something that I like to do when I’m having trouble getting the courage to do walkups… Is I make a throwaway character. A character that I have no ties to, no personal love for because it’s brand new and something that I feel no one is going to be like OMG USHI IS SUCH AN IDIOT… because its an alt.
Then I use said character to RP as something silly.
Like a mailman or something. Wrap some random items/pets/boe mounts and run up to people going “SPECIAL DELIVERY!”
Something silly that I can just run into, start a short interaction, and boost my confidence without having to worry about “oh no, how is this going to effect my main toon’s story?!”
USUALLY, these short interactions help get me going so I can get back my courage to initiate contact myself on my main toons.
Think of it like… Getting a small appetizer before dinner :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

^^^^^^^ THIS.

On so many levels

1 Like

In my years of experience, plenty of folk want to RP but have this same problem. They don’t know how to get over the walk up fear.

You have many ways to do this, first you can whisper OOCly and merely ask if they would like a walk up. Me personally, I prefer my method of just saying. “WHATEVER I’LL WALK UP TO ANYONE!”

This has proven to be effective, though some people do not enjoy it. Some people may or may not like your character and so on etc, this is where the fear comes in for plenty of people.

Just take a deep breath and relax, you can walk up to anyone that is in character. There is no reason to fear.

Best of luck <3

1 Like

Read their at-glances thoroughly, try to find something worth having a conversation about. And try to add things in your own TR3 that encourage questions and walk-ups.

4 Likes

As was stated earlier I usually post an emote of my character doing something to give people an opening to approach. Otherwise I usually do it myself. From my experience just about everyone wants to RP with someone but are too nervous to approach (which is ok!). The hardest part of walk-ups is actually walking up. It takes practice but once you get used to it it’s suddenly not so scary anymore.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I got the Musician addon, and have loaded up a lot of music. Now I sit down to play, and people walk up to me!

Problem solved.

2 Likes

Go eat a bowl of sand. This isn’t helpful at all.

As for OP:

Hey man, I get it. For one reason or another, like not knowing what to say to someone despite a deep desire to, maybe you feel like you’d be foisting yourself on others or interrupting, or any numerous things, it’s hard.

There’s something I also want to be clear about: sometimes people will ignore you, not see your post, or react unfavorably. This is a natural and unfortunate part of the process, but I encourage you not to be discouraged.

Flywheel mentioned emoting doing something on your own that would give people something to respond to. Dancingsun mentioned perusing their at-a-glance section to see if you can find something to warrant your approach.

Also an option. Stretch your legs with a character you have minimal investment in and see where it goes?

This is an important lesson. RP is fluid and so just about any reason can be had to approach someone for something!

There’s not much to be done on your end except to have faith in yourself, the long play, and not be discouraged without success. It’ll come, it just requires a shift in priority and perception. n.n

4 Likes

Sometimes you gotta just do it. Rip off the bandaid so to speak. This is all viddy game pretend fun times, the worst that can happen is that person doesn’t wanna rp with you; which isn’t a big deal or a judgment on you!

It also wouldn’t hurt to look for people that have common ground with your character (other death knights or wrath veterans as examples). I find it easier to approach people when theres something in common between the characters.

2 Likes

Also, it might help to rp in public with a friend! Have a buddy with you, this way you have a fall back/safety net if you get overwhelmed, intimidated, or someone is a butt and it’s upsetting. They can also be your wingman, and be the main person who walks up to others but introduces you to who ever, and you can go from there.

I know sometimes I don’t want to go to an event unless I have a friend with me. It’s nice to know you’ll have someone there you can for sure interact with and depend on.

6 Likes

If only we had buddies…

I’d be your bud
But most can’t handle that I’m not lavender scented
Good ale can only hide so much

forever alone but still trying
:wink:

1 Like

My social anxiety is so bad that my RP profile actually says “No walk-up RP” in the OOC section.

I’ll be following this thread closely lol. And hey OP, I looked up your guild once before because I liked something you posted in GC. Are y’all recruiting?

2 Likes

Sorry for the late response! And yes, as far as I’m aware we’re totally open. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like