How to fix PVE resto druid

A little underwhelmed at 8.1. We need a better way to apply hots fast on a pull in mythic trash, and we need a castable heal to spam on someone taking it hard.

All of the solutions can be found in the PVP talents by simply making some of them baseline.

We use many CDs getting hots up…make Overgrowth baseline.
Wild Growth is underwhelming…less cost, and make Early Spring baseline.
We have no spam big heal other then regrowth, which is a hot, and you do not, repeat after me, spam a hot…so make Nourish baseline.
We have decreased utility than a mage or paladin or shaman…make MOTW baseline or make cyclone baseline. (Roots is like half a CC compare to sheep.)

Then, you could bring back PVP talents we actually need bad. Like displacer beast. Or even…symbiosis.

1 Like

Resto druid is bad? News to me.

I did not say it was bad, and the issues that I raise are not really seen at your level.

2 Likes

I agree fully with all of this, but we’re also talking about Blizzard. They are going to do none of these things because they are actually good ideas suggested by a viable member of the high-end community.

Refer to the 900 posts about Feral I’ve made since MoP complete with viable reasoning for different changes and suggested talent updates that would make my class viable in multiple situations rather than filling one niche poorly.

We’re going to see absolutely none of this implemented in the next two patches, or even the next expansion, even though it would put Resto back on the pedestal of healing and fix a lot of quality of life changes that it requires - if anything they’ll just prune something else like Swiftmend or give it two charges and a 2% buff to healing.

Do you not have phones??

Wild Growth is already our third most efficient heal, both from a mana and button press perspective. Buffing it would make us more powerful, but it wouldn’t change our rotation since it’s already your best cast if six people are damaged.

The Regrowth HoT makes up about 20% of the heal, and your second consecutive cast in any given window benefits from the Regrowth mastery stack and heals for almost the same as the first (more with huge mastery). You often don’t spam it in a raid environment because of its mana cost, not because a small portion of its power is in the hot (and your second cast leaves a longer 15s HoT via Pandemic so you’re not even losing all of that power either). Abundance is also viable on most fights and will make it an efficient cast.

Druids aren’t in an awful place, but some small buffs would still make sense. You’re likely to see a 2-3% increase to our base healing aura after Season 2 begins. I don’t know if you’ve thought through these changes. These aren’t what we need.

1 Like

I think most folks who have played a resto druid for many expansions would agree with me, actually, since all my suggestions, other than Overgrowth, were things we used to have. That’s the cool thing about my suggestions; they’re not bad ideas, because they are proven useful.

I have been playing Resto since BC and I don’t agree with you :smiley:

We used to have a direct heal in Healing Touch as well. Nobody that knew what they were doing ever touched it in raid. How can they agree with “you dont spam a hot” when 80% of regrowths power is in the direct cast?

I think what we are truly in need of is some way to improve QoL via reductions to necessary GCDs spent pre-hotting and preparing for, or catching up from damage.

We should have an ability to add a partial strength Rejuv to a WG cast. Maybe an Azerite Trait that applies a Regrowth HoT or a 6 second Rejuv HoT to targets affected by WG.

Maybe Each tick of Rejuv has a low % chance to apply a free Lifebloom for 3 seconds.

I’m just spit-balling here, but you get the idea. We’re pretty GCD starved as it is, which is why you see a lot of Spring Blossoms + Photosynthesis in M+.

Legion gave us a lot of extra Artifact Traits in Relics and some nice baseline tools that let us get around this. Without a significant amount of Haste, druids feel really awful atm and struggle to deal with burst damage without CDs or plenty of XP knowing the damage patterns.

1 Like

Personally I wouldn’t Say no to Getting Deep Rooted from G’hanir as baseline, at least that way when huge hits come not having to reapply hots while using regrowth to try to keep ppl alive solves a lot of problems (maybe not Full duration like the old talent but say add 6 seconds and only once not reoccurring?) without really affecting the rest of the play style.

Ps.bring back GOTW

I’m always torn on “fixes” proposed in these threads. One hand, I do agree with some of the concepts and ideas you have for implantation, but on the other, I dont like the idea of having useless extra spells that only apply to niche situations.

I would love to see a rework that actually gives more of a clear single target spec than the photosynthesis bland play. I think there could be more based around buffing regrowth other than reduced cast time per rejuv, like applying a missing hot.

This patch really saddened me because I am benching my druid, probably indefinitely from the looks of how the dev team is working. Both dps specs are a hot mess, tanking isnt much better and resto flow feels like it missed a much needed pass at tuning. When azerite talents like autumn leaves gets back on top and I’m still stuck essentially casting tranq on CD, it just doesnt feel much fun anymore. The changes I would love to see is an azerite trait that compliments our mastery, innervate back to the old 300% mana regen increase because the free spells for 10 seconds doesnt scratch the surface of mana issues and also some viable talent choices that are actually competitive against flourish/tranq combo.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth I actually really enjoy the current iteration of Resto but I can see how it could feel bad to some. It’s so built around cooldowns and ramping for damage windows that it plays closer to a Legion Disc Priest than a Legion Resto Druid. Mistakes are punishing and if you try and take on the role of providing a consistent raid blanket like you might have in the past you’ll run out of mana because that isn’t our role anymore.

@Indulge. Not to take away from any of your points but just so you’re aware the current incarnation of Abundance increases crit chance and lowers mana cost of Regrowth per rejuv (not reduced cast time like you mentioned).

1 Like