How real is the Night Elf in the Refrigerator trope?

What I find curious is that they decided to pit the two races against each other who have had the worst loses in this expac.

I hope it’s not cannon that the Blight literally covers the whole of the night elves lands. It’s a dead horse that is just pulp right now.

3 Likes

Especially if they’re gonna keep avoiding using the Ancients. I get that it’s to keep the Zandalari feeling unique (in their mind anyways thats probably the justification, because in all fairness there is a lot of overlap between some new BfA loa and Ancients) It’s like they havent moved on from Cataclysm. It took them forever to really realize their excuse for Malfurion being absent from WoW became null in Cataclysm. Same with the Ancient Guardians, but they dont quite seem to have realized they resurrected the vast majority of them. Including Ursol, based on the Guardian Druid questline.

5 Likes

Well the Forsaken were systematically blighting the whole zone, while at the same time the goblins were clear cutting the forests and then strip mining the barren land. It altogether is not looking so good for Darkshore.

3 Likes

No surprise that they will be removing the Night elves for good this time. Who knows what’s going on in ashenvale either… the place they cherish most.

And Stormwind couldn’t even spare a token 7th legion troop or anything to help secure Darkshore. But if malfurion had as much power as said to have, he and Cenarius can heal the land no worries.

2 Likes

The WoT is riddled with instances of the Horde being hammered by the shame bat. It is very apparent that what we are doing is wrong, with Blizz throwing dying NEs at us crying out for their loved ones; or claiming they’d never attack us. This sentiment of shame within this conflict is further enhanced by “A Good War”; as well as Saurfang’s cinematics.

Then there is the War Campaign … which, we get to release Ashvane (for no reason); Bring our crazed Warchief a Old God Weapon; get to bring back multiple Alliance dead for use, discarding, and torture. All of this is framed as something we should not be doing (and should be ashamed of it), but nevertheless must do so. The turning point of this is 8.2, and even then everything has been sort of laced with this gross concept of … what prevented us from doing this earlier.

Honestly, the only part of BfA’s story that is genuinely enjoyable is the Zandalari territories. We actually get to be heroes in our own stories again; rather than villains in the Alliance’s (willing or not, it doesn’t matter). Its amazing, you think that its the Horde that causes the problems with the story; but in reality its the combination of the Horde and Alliance that causes it. The Horde really does have some pretty enjoyable story content when its left to its own devices (and its not getting slammed by the villain bat to push the narrative of their least representative leader).

7 Likes

Sure. I made a whole thread about it.

It’s probably not up to date, since I have fallen behind on new content.

4 Likes

Likely both are at play. The stuffed refrigerator trope is a thing thanks to Knaak’s history of relying on it in other books. The Worf effect can be easily misconstrued as the refrigerator trope as well without good editing, and we know Blizzard doesn’t have any editors.

Way too hard. Like I’ve stated earlier, the night elf quest stories are a depressing experience. Only a sadomasochist enjoys them.

3 Likes

Maybe I missed it in that thread but nobody really directed their comments at you personally. Its all about Sylvanas, whatever the Horde did is being handwaved away currently.

Its not as bad as you think.

They do. They are just so boring, their only defining feature is their dark past that they can’t seem to get away from.
Their heroes are weak and don’t inspire anyone to follow them and in the coming content they are hopelessly outmatched.

They just aren’t very compelling. Some Horde races could be interesting like the Zandalari or Nightborne but they aren’t ‘really’ horde as we have known them for a long time now have we?

Every expansion we gave the Horde the spot light the story suffered so damn badly. Hopefully Blizzard learns their lesson and moves away from the Horde like they did Legion.

Blizzard has always used the Alliance not just Night Elves as punching bag to demonstrate how evil this next big bad is.

In Cata we had deathwing land in Stormwind and blow up a district.(plus all the other zones that got attacked by horde)

In Mop it was Garrosh blowing up Theramore

In WOD it was the Iron horde destroyed nethergarde.

In Legion Darkshire was converted to a Legion hub and used for Artifact gathering Zone.

Now in BFA its Sylvanas and destruction of Darnassus(i wouldn’t call Undercity a Horde loss as Sylvanas destoys that as well and the Alliance has no phased content to show we have any forces up there). The Kul tirians have had to fight off 3 horde invasions into their zones some of those zones are never phased to show anything different either.

While a lot of the time in these expansions the Horde are gaining ground and building new Cities or to show phasing of them winning zones.

In CATA the horde not only got an upgraded Orgrimmar vs the destroyed Stormwind. Plus all the zones with the new Horde forts and towns. I think only place they lost was Tuajuro which was 3 tents.

The Horde however keep losing champions and leaders like no bodies business they are scrapping the barrel to put leaders in Warzones and other leadership roles

Where the Alliance has so many champions Blizzard forget some exist or they are forced to be neutral.

Blizzard really needs to flip this formulae so Horde get some out of game development so they can build up some hero’s and sort out their stupid conflicts out of game so the Alliance doesn’t need to get involved. Perhaps developing new Horde groups for their druids, paladins and Mages rather than having to share alliance themes.

The Alliance needs to have some Tangible victories in game with them shown to be rebuilding through Phased content. They also need to get back the groups that make the Alliance distinct such as the Silver hand, Kirin tor and Cenarion circle.

Edit: I’m so tired of Alliance victories being show in content outside of the game.

6 Likes

All of those took YEARS before they even developed back to the point where now humans actually have a fighting chance. Don’t forget Dalaran was behind a bubble for years, Gilneas is still in Ruins, until we saved it recently the fleet of Kul Tiras was lost, heck Stormwind had a crater in it and its very gates damaged because of Deathwing. Oh, and the humans currently do not have Strom any more than the night elves currently have Darkshore, which is to say both are currently battleground being fought by the two factions possibly for the next few expansions.

Oh and add to that Theramore is now an uninhabited crater.

The trolls were facing extinction long before Cata. To the point the Dark Trolls and Frost Trolls are all nearly wiped out. As for the draenei, the point is we got slaughter and only now are the draenei’s slowly getting back on its feet.

1 Like

I subbed basically just to say that I agree with almost everything Aviala has had to say.

3 Likes

$15 just to say you agree is abit extreme, n’est pas?

1 Like

Nope. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

That isn’t much for some people.

1 Like

“TyRaNdE, i NeEd YoU!”

They can all die in a fire if it means that I never have to hear that again.

3 Likes

Seeing as Xavius is dead, you do, in fact, never have to hear that again.

16 Likes

Do people still not realize that the person saying this was Xavius mimicking Malfurion? Did you really think that Malfurion went from an absolute wimp screeching “Tyraaaaaande where are yooooou” when Tyrande was looking for him to the most defiant prisoner who smack talked Xavius while being held captive by him in Darkheart Thicket?

12 Likes

That is, until we go to the Shadowlands. Or N’zoth revives him for the third time.

2 Likes

As a zambie, I should be allowed to enslave him.

Yeah, but he’ll probably impersonate somebody else. Mal’s already had a cinematic and a presence in Darkshore. That’s clearly asking for Night Elf fatigue to set in.

Besides. He had his moment where they told some of his story and he got his revenge for Ysera. I don’t think they’ll be exploring his story too much more in the Shadowlands, though.

2 Likes