How old is Sylvanas?

Too old to date her fanboys >=)

PS: Caaalm down guys. It’s a joke, put those torches down

1 Like

Uh, guys? Come on, did we not read the Horde short story for BfA? She’s a thousands of years old, Saurfang’s inner dialogue says so.

5 Likes

Me too.

The consensus seems to be that she was between 40 and 7000 when Arthas killed her.

She is a contemporary of Kaelthas and Lorthemar’s senior.

But they could always retcon her as saving Lorash’s mom from a bear that was really a Night Elf sent to hinder the fleeing High Born.

Or as someone who helped build Quelthalas.

What I don’t get is how she is a superior archer to Tyrande. Considering she wasn’t sleeping in the dream for 10000 years and she has a goddess at her back.

2 Likes

Easy to say that as an active defender of her homeland, she got more practice in then Tyrande did while she was spending more time leading her people.

Because WoW isn’t a coherent or logical story.

2 Likes

More practice than someone who fought in the War of the Ancients? Lol

Sylvanas fought some barbaric trolls. Tyrande fought against an intergalactic demon empire led by Sargeras. TWICE.

The notion that Sylvanas is somehow more battle-hardened than Tyrande is absurd

4 Likes

I don’t have an answer with numbers. I would say that qualitatively, that at the time of her mortal death, she was probably around the Young Adult to Adult range, old enough to have ascended to the top ranks, but young enough not to be jaded.

Great, thank you. That’s the kind of confirmation I was looking for. I’m assuming that A Good War would pretty much have to be canon as it pertains specifically to this expac.

I’d like to see this - anyway I can find the dialogue?

Actually most of her involvement during WOTA was that of Girl Hostage. Malfurion did most of the heavy lifting during the Battle of Hyjal, and she wasn’t involved at all during the War of the Sands.

She doesn’t really show that much skill at Darkshore, she pretty much is riding on her power boost as the Night Warrior as opposed to showing any particular command of tactics.

She takes out a bunch of scrubs prior to her ascension and another bunch afterwards, but she can’t even take out Nathanos.

4 Likes

We just have to cut her in half and count the rings

6 Likes

We don’t have numbers but qualitatively at the time of her death she comes off as fairly young in high elf terms.

Just like Daerlyn.

In Nazjatar Lor’themar mentions that he knew and respected Sylvanas for “millennia”. She’s at least 1,000 years old, but doesn’t look a day over 574.

4 Likes

I still find the idea that high/blood elves live for thousands of years to be very dumb.

1 Like

Still more believable that they would live for quite some time because of a magic well, than live forever because of a tree.

6 Likes

That… doesn’t make any sense as a statement at all. Why would you even bring that up? It’s fantasy, no source of immortality makes more sense than the other.

I’m saying it’s a dumb concept because it makes for a lot of weird story beats. Anasterian was considered ancient by his people’s standards, abnormally so, this was stated in prior lore. And he was, as far as we know, at most maybe 3000 years old because he was king during the Troll Wars. But before him were three prior kings: Dath’remar, his son, and then his grandson. All in the span of 4300 years or so. Unless they all died violent deaths, that would mean they would have all died of old age eventually, in that time period. Meaning we’re talking lifespans measured in hundreds of years, not thousands.

Anasterian was specifically mentioned to be abnormally old, Alleria having fought in the Troll Wars is a new offhand blurb that tosses a wrench in that. If High/Blood elves live that long, it makes all their prior actions regarding the Grand Alliance completely nonsensical, because the vast majority of the leadership and populace would still remember the Troll Wars and having fought beside humans before. Them living to maybe 1000 at most on the average makes much more sense because that would mean the Troll Wars were a generation or so removed from the Second War, and thus their standoffish nature somewhat more explainable.

If Alleria fought in the Troll Wars then her first appearance in Day of the Dragon doesn’t fit, in terms of her being standoffish and dismissive of Rhonin, because she literally would have witnessed the First Hundred helping to drive back the trolls, and fighting alongside humans would be a pretty strong memory. If the elves of Quel’thalas live for so long, then it makes them look pretty idiotic, which they’re not.

3 Likes

While Anasterian was considered abnormally old. He was probably not the only one to live over 1000 years. It is possible a very small percentage of the popultion did live past a 1000 years. Which would explain why elves like Alleria, Lor’themar, Sylvanas lived for so long.

Even Rommath was mention to be very old as well. I am not sure how the Sunwell works for the blood elves but it is certainly plausible that over several generations High/Blood elves learned to harness it’s power better than previous generations. With the renew sunwell I won’t be surprise if current generation blood elves lifespan change to be longer.

I hope Blizzard will clarify in another chronicle details about lifespan for each race. It would be awesome if they could provide a history on lineage for every kingdom in Azeroth.

1 Like

The amount of Necromancy going on in this thread is reaching Cult of the Damned levels.

“Away! Away foul servant of Kel’thuzad!”

3 years later…

Drahliana reconsidered.

4 Likes