How much data does WoW use per hour?

Is there an already stated amount? Currently internet provider pissed me off by going to the wrong address then cancelling my ticket for a transfer, so going back to cox, they have a 1TB data cap.

I don’t do too much video streaming, netflix / hulu but that shouldn’t be more than 10GB a day at max.

Ill be playing WoW anywhere from 3 to 5 hours after work (I get off late, nothing open) and probably most of the day if I have nothing going on on my days off (Gotta save that monies for a new PC build and Engine build)

I saw on google its around 70GB a month of moderate usage but whats like a per hour usage or heavy monthly usage?

2 Likes

WoW averages about 10kB (kilobytes) or less per second during gameplay. So, that’s - on average - 600kB per minute, or 36 megabytes an hour.

So, in 5 hours of gameplay, you’re transferring about 200 megabytes, give or take. Slightly more if all you do is raid or large BGs. Slightly less if you do more solo play.

If you do this daily, that’d be about 6 gigabytes a month.

People reporting usage as high as 70 gigabytes a month are completely misinformed. The only way you would use 70GB monthly on WoW is if you re-installed the game from scratch every month, which is silly. You certainly won’t be doing that.

You can use something like Glasswire (free) to monitor bandwidth usage by program, if you like. I’ve used it before to monitor bandwidth usage by various programs, including WoW. Sure, you can always check Task Manager to see bandwidth usage in a pinch, but Glasswire allows you to select one, any, or all programs in use, and monitor that usage over time, including peaks and averages, graphs, etc.

www.glasswire.com

4 Likes

Closing bnet launcher once in game drops it by like half.

3 Likes

Yeah.

I guess I should clarify, my comments above are in regards to the bandwidth that actual gameplay uses, on average. I kept it limited to that because that was the specific question that was posed by the OP.

Certainly, if you leave the launcher open and allow it to use bandwidth as it sees fit, the amount it ends up using per month may far exceed what WoW uses on its own, during gameplay.

Anyone concerned about bandwidth usage should set the Battle net desktop app to close when games are launched. Even if there are currently no game updates available, there may be updates to the launcher itself or videos for the news section that will quietly eat up your bandwidth.

Ditto the Twitch app, or any other things sitting silently in your system tray, updating software while you’re not looking.

I say again, though, Glasswire. It (or some other program like it) is the perfect solution to monitor and manage the bandwidth you are using.

2 Likes

Or just use task manager, right click your Start button and select task manager, you can view all processes including what is using your internet, diskdrive, memory etc.

:blue_square: :brown_square: :green_square: :brown_square: :blue_square: :brown_square: :green_square: :brown_square: :blue_square: :brown_square:

2 Likes