How many more Expansions?

As a person who bought my first copy of WOW when it first came out, I’m wondering how many expansions WOW has left?

I like WOW and the game has changed a lot over the years. Also this is not a WOW is dying post. I do however wonder how many more expansions WOW has following the current formula.

1. New Area/Lore
  2. Disrupt older areas/Lore
  3. New Greens, Blues, Epics, Legendaries
  4. Make old gear and the grind it took useless
  5. Congrats you beat the baddest baddy
  6. Oh no there’s always someone more bad
  7. Play for hours on end
  8. Skip to endgame by paying real money
  9. Level cap level cap level cap level Squish
    Finally: 10: Here’s some new don’t get hit or stand in shiny stuff Raid mechanics to challenge your brain and potential seizure levels
    11: Here’s a bunch of new game mechanics that are similar but different and game changinging/balance changing/meta changing

I’m not saying that the current state is negative because WOW is really fun. However it does seem a bit rinse and repeat.

Oh and will we ever get WOW 2, with a complete graphics, audio and gameplay rework? Imagine WOW with some Destiny 2 FPS feel or even imagine WOW with some 15 years later graphics!

I hope WOW stays around but when is the “Next Blizzard Epic Game” coming?

1 Like

When the player base hits 5 figures. so…by next tuesday.

1 Like

They’ll stop when it stops becoming profitable or when they find a bigger cash cow.

I’d suspect their new big game will be some stupid shooter battle royale since that’s what is currently popular.

2 Likes

5 more÷eeeeeeee

They won’t quit making any until it’s no longer popular like people said above, I mean look at SWTOR, not that many people yet new xpacs/updates still. You don’t need 5 million people playing a game to make it profitable, even 500k-1million they’d still be coming out with new xpacs. Probably even less than 500k it’d still be profitable, the sub based system brings in a lot of money

1 Like

WoW has as many expansions left as they can continue making and selling to players.

Everquest for example has 24 expansions.

1 Like

Ehh with the overwatch game fizzling out faster than any other blizavision ip I don’t think we will get another new ip for a long time. They really need to knock it out of the park with diablo 4 or blizavision will be going bye bye soon.

I think the only way they’d kill WoW for a bigger cash cow is if it was another MMO (and even then only if WoW wasn’t profitable by much). Blizz has the resources to stand up another dev team to support a new franchise without getting rid of an old one, like they did when Overwatch came out.

I doubt it. They’d lose a lot of players in the transition if they didn’t bring everything over from WoW. I think they’re going to continue on the current vein where they do incremental improvements to the various systems with each expansion.

1 Like

Strong industry analysis here. You should do this for a living.

They still got overwatch 2 in the works.

Wouldn’t say a mmo it could be a moba like league. Or any other of the major games out right now.

I’m glad you said this. However is it really improving when you junk a system or tweak it to make a new or similar system?

Example: They say corruption is going away but The Maw Gameplay and Eye of the Jailer feels very similar.

Also gathering AP is now gathering another type of AP.

My biggest disappointment is when our Artifacts were taken. I really enjoyed that system.

1 Like

Why would they kill WoW for that though (assuming it was still profitable)? It wouldn’t be a direct competitor any more than Diablo or Overwatch are so neither would step on the others’ toes much. Plus, they love their tie-ins to encourage you to play their other games.

I’m talking about the underlying systems, like the game engine, not the specific borrowed power mechanics, like corruption or azerite.

1 Like

It’ll depend on how much the new game makes. And how much wow has subscriber wise. I think if wow dropped near 1 million and blizzard had a game like league they would drop wow and focus all resources on league.

Why focus on something making you millions when you have something else making you a billion.

Why not have both though? As I said earlier, Blizz has the resources and expertise that they can spin up a team to support a new IP without axing one of their other IPs. Even if they want the new one to become their flagship, there’s no reason they can’t keep WoW running on the sidelines until it finally sinks into the red.

1 Like

Have you seen the size of the universe that this game takes place in?

"https://i.imgur.com/XlYNSpy.jpg"

Everything we have played has taken place in the small reality part and we are finally heading into the shadowlands. I imagine blizz has a potential of thousands of years worth of expansions to explore!

2 Likes

Well looking at how it’s playing out I don’t think they are going to put a lot of effort into wow. The mmorpg genre isn’t as popular as it used to be. Why sink resources into something that’s dropping in popularity when you can spend more on something the newer generations like?

If it’s still profitable, for money. Despite the jokes/jabs you see around here, Blizz isn’t actually some small indie studio. They don’t have to kill off their current IPs to start a new one. When Overwatch came out, they didn’t axe Diablo, Starcraft, or WoW; they built a new team for it. They’re in a position where they can afford to keep an IP going for as long as it’s paying its own bills.

See you say that, but Squareenix still supports FF11 and FF14 and makes money off both.

Given the history of other popular MMOs, WoW will still be around for a long time.

And someone has mentioned EQ1. The last x-pack for EQ 1 was Dec 2019. That’s an x-pack for a 19 year old MMO.

The fact that they were working on a Project Titan is incredibly fitting here. They were working on a “next-gen MMO”, like 10 years ago? So this has been on their mind, and it’s possible they could follow through with it at some point in the nigh future

WoW 2 is possible as well. SL is trying to forge into unexplored lore, so moving forward WoW will be in the best position to create a WoW 2 lore-wise. After 16 years, a sequel would be expected

1 Like

I still want to see more hero classes!